NEWS Andrew McCullough’s complicated contract a headache for Broncos

not That I think we should have tried to sign him but Mitchell Pearce was available at the time

Exactly, and who should he have signed? We probably would have targeted Cronk had he been an option. We tried to get Taylor but couldn't afford him. DCE was signed for ten years. Nathan Cleary wasn't leaving Penrith. And our reserves were not good enough at the time. Or old enough

Mitchell Pearce? Not sure if we could have afforded him but if I remember correctly we did not even look at him.
[automerge]1558914145[/automerge]
not That I think we should have tried to sign him but Mitchell Pearce was available at the time

Lol beat me to it

Last edited:
Yeah, after Thaiday and McGuire had cracks at it...
One of which he admitted was a mistake. Fair criticism. The other has shown he can play hooker pretty well at rep level. Bennett moved Kodi to bench hooker that week as well and replaced him at halfback with Jack Bird. The way Milford was evolving, Bird was a viable option in the halves. But injury ruined that. I think a lot of people are forgetting that Bird was a legitimate halves option when he came here.

We couldn't afford him. He was asking for a lot of money and only a team like the Knights would offer that much

Fucking hell though, Pearce is in some good form.

dont think he was even made an offer or talked to if I recall correctly

dont think he was even made an offer or talked to if I recall correctly
That is what Bennett said, but that's not really how it works. They would have spoken to his manager, been told how much he was asking for, realised they didn't have enough in the cap and given up. There was also the comment that Bennett made about not wanting him at the club because he didn't want to risk the culture of the club.

One of which he admitted was a mistake. Fair criticism. The other has shown he can play hooker pretty well at rep level. Bennett moved Kodi to bench hooker that week as well and replaced him at halfback with Jack Bird. The way Milford was evolving, Bird was a viable option in the halves. But injury ruined that. I think a lot of people are forgetting that Bird was a legitimate halves option when he came here.

Yes and that really is the big criticism of Bennett in my opinion.

Bennett should get praise for all the young guns signed on, they look phenomenal and Bennett drove that. People need to give him credit for such an excellent job in identifying talent.

Signing up Bird though was an error. Even without the injuries, he just wasn’t the right fit for the halves if that what he was signed on for.

Bird is a right centre or fullback, two positions already filled at the time by high salaried players. That money could have been used to sign a Pearce or a Taylor (even though seem to have dodged a bullet here).

Signing Gillett and Boyd to big money, long-term deals after some serious injuries or at their age was silly. Macca should also never have been given four years.

That said, Haas in six years was a master stroke.

Hence between all the praise and criticism of Bennett, the truth is most definitely somewhere in between.

The time was right to move him on. When he got here he said we wouldn't be ready for a premiership until 2017. In 2015 we were the most exciting footy team attack-wise and he proudly declared "I haven't even started teaching them attack yet". In 2016 he started teaching us attack..........no comment needed. Well 2017 has come and gone, we even gave him 2018, we didn't challenge. Hypotheticals for 2019 aside, surely his staunchest supporters can agree that 2016-2018 we went backwards.

I think his comments a few weeks back to paraphrase "good on kodi for sticking it up them" in relation to when he left seems to suggest he wouldn't have brought Dearden in, he would have stuck with Kodi until Dearden got the shits and found a new club.

No idea what goes on at Souths training but I wonder if it's possible that he hasn't started teaching them attack either.

Yes and that really is the big criticism of Bennett in my opinion.

Bennett should get praise for all the young guns signed on, they look phenomenal and Bennett drove that. People need to give him credit for such an excellent job in identifying talent.

Signing up Bird though was an error. Even without the injuries, he just wasn’t the right fit for the halves if that what he was signed on for.

Bird is a right centre or fullback, two positions already filled at the time by high salaried players. That money could have been used to sign a Pearce or a Taylor (even though seem to have dodged a bullet here).

Signing Gillett and Boyd to big money, long-term deals after some serious injuries or at their age was silly. Macca should also never have been given four years.

That said, Haas in six years was a master stroke.

Hence between all the praise and criticism of Bennett, the truth is most definitely somewhere in between.
It has been established on here that WB is not to blame for who was signed and for how long. That debate is dead. Blame the Broncos board, it was ultimately their call. Don't whine that it was WBs call, it wasn't. Read the posts in that debate.

The time was right to move him on. When he got here he said we wouldn't be ready for a premiership until 2017. In 2015 we were the most exciting footy team attack-wise and he proudly declared "I haven't even started teaching them attack yet". In 2016 he started teaching us attack..........no comment needed. Well 2017 has come and gone, we even gave him 2018, we didn't challenge. Hypotheticals for 2019 aside, surely his staunchest supporters can agree that 2016-2018 we went backwards.

I think his comments a few weeks back to paraphrase "good on kodi for sticking it up them" in relation to when he left seems to suggest he wouldn't have brought Dearden in, he would have stuck with Kodi until Dearden got the shits and found a new club.

No idea what goes on at Souths training but I wonder if it's possible that he hasn't started teaching them attack either.

He couldn't have predicted our 7 was going to shit the bed in the last seconds of the GF and go on to have night terrors for the following two seasons.

And Seibold is reaping the benefits of WBs work.

No-one is doubting or disputing that. My issue and some others is that people refuse to give Seibold they same credit people expect WB to be given.

No-one is doubting or disputing that. My issue and some others is that people refuse to give Seibold they same credit people expect WB to be given.
And vice versa. But more people come on here shitting on Bennett for everything so it's brought up more often. There's literally only one person attempting to shit on Seibold these days and he gets called out every time he does it.

Bennett was given a fair go, Seibold deserves one too. There are a few on here that seem to think Bennett should be above criticism because he's Wayne Bennett. As far as I can tell nobody shits on him for everything, the vast majority are thankful for what he did for us. But he's not our coach anymore, he was fired and alot of us can see why. The idea that he should be above any criticism is absurd.

You can't give him the same credit, he's been coaching for a season and a half FFS

Active Now

• Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Morkel
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.