Andrew McCullough unfazed by having to replace Cameron Smith

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Mccullougha 180529703

State of Origin 2018: Queensland’s Andrew McCullough unfazed by having to replace Cameron Smith

June 5, 2018

ANDREW McCullough says he won’t be crushed by the burden of replacing Cameron Smith, as Maroons coach Kevin Walters backed his hooking debutant to fire in Origin I.

McCullough will face one of the most daunting interstate baptisms when he is asked to fill the void of champion skipper Smith, the 42-game legend who is the most-capped player in Origin’s 38-year history.

Smith is revered as Queensland’s Mr Irreplaceable, but statistics show Broncos hooker McCullough possesses the workrate to stabilise the Maroons’ ruck in his Origin blooding at the MCG.

Since his first full season in the NRL in 2009, McCullough has made a whopping 8601 tackles from 222 games — 141 more than Smith (8460 from 225) over the same nine-year period.

Succeeding Smith is the NRL’s version of batting after Bradman, but McCullough yesterday declared he would not be overawed by the pressures of upholding Queensland’s No.9 legacy in the MCG opener.

“It’s not tough replacing Cam, it’s exciting actually,” McCullough said.

“Cam is a great player and I’m not him and I never will be. “But I’m not here to replace him in my eyes. I will play my game and play my way.

“It was remarkable what he did and it will be impossible really to replicate what Cam Smith achieved for Queensland.

“There’s no pressure, because I will provide what I can.

“I’m certainly not going to sit back out there. I have waited a long time for the chance to play State of Origin, so I want to make a difference and I will do whatever I can to help us win this game.”

It is a testament to McCullough’s work ethic, team-first attitude and mental fortitude that he has averaged more than 30 tackles per game for nine consecutive seasons.

Last year, he averaged a staggering 45 tackles per game. This season, he has amassed 444 tackles from 11 games at a mark of 40.36.

While NSW are banking on fellow rookie rake Damien Cook to torch the Maroons with his speed, McCullough backed himself to be Queensland’s defensive backbone and emulate Smith by playing a full game if required.

“I hope to play the full 80 minutes,” the 28-year-old said.

“I know how to manage games now as a more mature player and having spells when I need them.

“That comes back to playing the amount of games I have.

“I’ll do whatever Kev (coach Walters) requires but I can play the full 80 if necessary.”

Such is the emotion surrounding McCullough’s debut, his father Graeme — an accomplished artist — has painted a portrait as a tribute to his son’s journey from Dalby Devils junior to Origin star.

Walters says the Maroons need to move on mentally from the Smith era and believes McCullough is the perfect replacement.

“Andrew will do the job,” he said. “He has played in a grand final, he has big-match experience and I just want him to do what he does every week at the Broncos.

“I just want him to be clever out of dummy half and hold the rucks tight for us.

“If he can play his natural game that will be more than what Queensland needs at hooker to win this game.”

Source: Courier Mail

Good on him but hope he doesn’t play 80. Only way to let him succeed is to give him firm instructions that we need an attacking hooker which he is capable of with good coaching and when he’s not trying to tackle half the grandstand for 80 minutes straight especially since he is also carrying an elbow injury and not a year from an acl.

You are only for 50 minutes. You go hard the entire time and get that running, passing and support game on full hammer then go off with nothing in the tank. I know I give the guy a lot of stick on here because I do think he is a massive barrier to winning premierships and cause he never really developed his attacking game after couple years of first grade. But love his work ethic and attitude. He can do these things in attack it just seems with Griffin and Bennett they coach a lot of good stuff out since he is such a good defender. If he could play smarter, play less minutes and think a bit more about his game he would be a very deserving next Australian hooker. Hope Kevvie gets the best with him but those quotes are disheartening. Genius he was part of a losing grand final from a game that was won if the team could close out a game. 3/4 of that same spine including your hooker and halfback is here, none of whom seem to have learnt that much in three years on that topic are in your team. Widdop won’t be here to hold Hunts hand mate. Munster isn’t that guy and Morgan will struggle to be able to do it from fullback.

Having said that who covers hooker if this absolutely moronic reshufffle is true. Morgan is a Queenslander and will do his job but need more than Morgan can offer from fullback a very precariously balanced spine. On short notice have to get Munster at fullback or GI if for it. Milf starts or doesn’t play for me. We don’t have the luxury of a Matty Bowen type little guy at lock for last 20 with our pack and halves. Game might be over by time he can do his magic and once again his magic is getting coached out of him at Broncs for last 3 years anyway - don’t know if u can just turn that tap on at short notice. Hope Kevvie is on the money but so far his selections are hit and miss imo. He has a huge amount on the line this season or two. If he muffs it then might lose any hope of a NRL head coach gig. And after 10 years of success (-1 bullsh** ref call) don’t see him lasting too many series without either winning or spot on decisions that at least put us in a position to win each game.

Well he’s not going to say he’s shiting himself, these rhetorical articles get boring after 10 days lead up.

I think he’s had an unfair amount of attention, it’s not just Smith we’ve lost from this series. The collective experience of a few club captains and origin stalwarts Missing from this side will definitely show on the field.

Macca will try his guts out though and tackle till he can’t get up, love the bloke to get an iconic dummy try too.

Such is the emotion surrounding McCullough’s debut, his father Graeme — an accomplished artist — has painted a portrait as a tribute to his son’s journey from Dalby Devils junior to Origin star.

Love Macca and hope he kills it......but he is not an Origin star

He is an Origin rookie

He is an Origin rookie

Might just be a play on words, but I think it's safe to say that any player who makes it to even a single origin game is a star of our sport. It's not something that most players achieve.

Lots of people see it as the pinnacle of our sport given the state of international footy.

I agree that there is a massive difference between Cam Smiths number of games and Macca, but he's not a rookie, he's played over 200 NRL games.

I bet he'll be bricking it. He has waited his whole life for this chance.

If you play origin, you're a star. Even if it's Justin O'Neil level, that's still in the absolute elite of elites of every person in this country who has pulled on a jersey trying to beat the guy on the other team and rise up through the grades. Macca is an origin star, he has worked his life to achieve that jersey, no doubt about it.

I don't rate him as a superstar footballer, but he's clearly done enough to be the best QLD hooker in the game after Smith, so credit to him.

If you play origin, you're a star. Even if it's Justin O'Neil level, that's still in the absolute elite of elites of every person in this country who has pulled on a jersey trying to beat the guy on the other team and rise up through the grades. Macca is an origin star, he has worked his life to achieve that jersey, no doubt about it.

I don't rate him as a superstar footballer, but he's clearly done enough to be the best QLD hooker in the game after Smith, so credit to him.
Good comments.

It also really puts things into perspective. As bad as Chambers was last night, he wasn’t O’Neill bad.

He is an Origin rookie

Hell of a rookie performance last night too. He left everything he had on the field.

Good comments.

It also really puts things into perspective. As bad as Chambers was last night, he wasn’t O’Neill bad.

I thought he was worse...

Always thought chambers was just a bit overrated. Good player but has some real downsides. Can have some moves but generally a bit Hoggman like in attack and can be exposed in defence on an off day.

Hell of a rookie performance last night too. He left everything he had on the field.

Don’t think we watched the same game. He was solid and workman like in defence as expected but didn’t lead the centre defence cause for me only reason to pick him. Attack was non existent as expected, what running, service was very slow, patterns were predictable and organisation was left to Hunt for f***s sake. He was absolutely towelled by Cook and by Hunts first two sets at hooker. It isn’t a coincidence we couldn’t score off running and passing with Hunt and Macca aimlessly and very slowly leading the way. Played NSW into confidence. Had one opportunity to expose NSW defensive weaknesses, inexperience and propensity for brain farts to set them into panic mode again but instead invited their defence to a light training drill. Was hoping Kevvie would use him smarter but looks like Kevvie spent to much time with Bennett ball. Having Macca in hooker in attack is basically bringing a shovel to a gunfight. Hunt has to play hooker with Morgan relieving.

Don’t think we watched the same game. He was solid and workman like in defence as expected but didn’t lead the centre defence cause for me only reason to pick him. Attack was non existent as expected, what running, service was very slow, patterns were predictable and organisation was left to Hunt for f***s sake. He was absolutely towelled by Cook and by Hunts first two sets at hooker. It isn’t a coincidence we couldn’t score off running and passing with Hunt and Macca aimlessly and very slowly leading the way. Played NSW into confidence. Had one opportunity to expose NSW defensive weaknesses, inexperience and propensity for brain farts to set them into panic mode again but instead invited their defence to a light training drill. Was hoping Kevvie would use him smarter but looks like Kevvie spent to much time with Bennett ball. Having Macca in hooker in attack is basically bringing a shovel to a gunfight. Hunt has to play hooker with Morgan relieving.

you forgot to mention the sky is falling, and we are all doomed. Bloody hell, you're a tough critic mate.

Yeah, proud of Macca, played his heart out

By which I mean he played to 100% of his ability or perhaps even lifted a bit higher

Outstanding in defence, but lacked a bit offensively

This is, however, what we expect of Macca - it's his ceiling

Chambers bad? WTAF???

Apparently so. I wasn't watching at home so likely missed a few bits and pieces due to conversation etc. He looked fine to me for a lot of it, will have to re-watch

Apparently so. I wasn't watching at home so likely missed a few bits and pieces due to conversation etc. He looked fine to me for a lot of it, will have to re-watch

He dropped a ball. I'm pretty sure that's enough to be hated apparently.

Yeah, proud of Macca, played his heart out

By which I mean he played to 100% of his ability or perhaps even lifted a bit higher

Outstanding in defence, but lacked a bit offensively

This is, however, what we expect of Macca - it's his ceiling

A bit? I think Macca played his game. For him to play out of his skin would be to rack up 60+ tackles.

He offers nothing offensively, relieves zero creative / structural pressure from his halves, his one and only kick was terrible as well. His ruck service was slow as usual, never ran from dummy half.

Anyone saying these comments are harsh should understand he’s playing in the highest level game we have and fair criticism is warranted.

When Hunt moved to hooker I thought we immediately looked more potent in attack.

Chambers tackle stats (unsure if this was part way through or the final stat though?) were 21 attempted tackles for 13 effective and 8 missed

He's probably gonna cop some criticism over that, which I think is fair

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Santa
  • Tim K
  • john1420
  • BruiserMk1
  • Financeguy
  • thenry
  • Jason Simmons
  • RolledOates
  • Ondi
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mister Wright
  • Griffo
  • Skyblues87
  • Bucking Beads
  • Justwin
  • BroncosAlways
  • Culhwch
  • Horseheadsup
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.