Andy Irons :( RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's not even funny beads. not at all.

What part of it?

Bucking Beads said:
What part of it?

What you said about depression.

A lot of people think it's some joke excuse, but in reality it's a serious thing to have.

It is a joke to me and it always will bw. We all just need to harden up imo. I am allowed to have an opinion

Bucking Beads said:
It is a joke to me and it always will bw. We all just need to harden up imo. I am allowed to have an opinion

Yeah, you are, but you could be a bit more sensitive about it.

Depression isn't a joke BTW.

Coxy said:
If the drug rumours are true my sympathy disappears.

It's not "drugs" in the negative, illicit sense of the word but drugs as in medication. It is believed he was suffering a recurrance of dengue fever (he was certainly very ill) and was heading home. He had been prescibed alprazolam (an anti-anxiety mediacation) and zolpidem (a sleeping mediciation) and MAY also have been prescribed methadone (which is a powerful pain relief) in order to help with his symptoms. This is not uncommon for people suffering such illnesses. IF this is the reason for his sudden death is would be that his body reacted badly to one or all of these medications. Or they actually didn't work and he died from the illness itself. Won't know for sure until coroner's report is released.

In any case it is a truly tragic death. He and his brother Bruce were very instrumental in changing the face of professional surfing and he was the only surfer to better Kelly Slater when he was truly in his prime. I am still in shock and very saddened at his death.

I don't think Beads is saying depression is a joke. I think he's saying the way it's being almost marketed as a fashionable excuse for bad behaviour is a joke. That's not to say some of them aren't diagnosed with depression, but it's a perception that they use it as an excuse for their behaviour.

Coxy said:
I don't think Beads is saying depression is a joke. I think he's saying the way it's being almost marketed as a fashionable excuse for bad behaviour is a joke. That's not to say some of them aren't diagnosed with depression, but it's a perception that they use it as an excuse for their behaviour.

You can't speculate on that sort of thing though, depression isn't like polio, it's not some rare case, happens to a lot of people, 5 people in your workplace had depression and had time off because of it would you call it fashionable and laugh at them, doubt it. what difference is it if it's a sports person?

Flutterby said:
Coxy said:
If the drug rumours are true my sympathy disappears.

It's not "drugs" in the negative, illicit sense of the word but drugs as in medication. It is believed he was suffering a recurrance of dengue fever (he was certainly very ill) and was heading home. He had been prescibed alprazolam (an anti-anxiety mediacation) and zolpidem (a sleeping mediciation) and MAY also have been prescribed methadone (which is a powerful pain relief) in order to help with his symptoms. This is not uncommon for people suffering such illnesses. IF this is the reason for his sudden death is would be that his body reacted badly to one or all of these medications. Or they actually didn't work and he died from the illness itself. Won't know for sure until coroner's report is released.

In any case it is a truly tragic death. He and his brother Bruce were very instrumental in changing the face of professional surfing and he was the only surfer to better Kelly Slater when he was truly in his prime. I am still in shock and very saddened at his death.
Good sensible post again Flutterby. [eusa_clap.gi

AI was/is the only surfer to win at every comp around the world. What an absolute legend. While I was and always will be a Kelly Slater fan first and formost, and then love the Aussies I still respected Andy and Bruce.

Whilst Depression is not a joke, and does steal lives unnecessarily, I agree with the point that it's a "fashionable & easy" excuse for some. And people way too quickly run to medication rather than just going through the usual cycle of emotions.

Yep truly one of the greats. Greater than his 3 World titles was his 4 Triple Crown wins - now THAT was a truly amazing achievement.

Coxy said:

I actually think it is a joke that people need drugs when they feel bad for long periods of time.

You're a f*cking joke of a person.

Ok guys. Lets stop talking about depression unless it is directly related to any depression that Andy Irons may have been dealing with.

Your opinions on the subject are noted. Move on.

I am misinformed but I have made my bed now I must lay in it.

If you want to discuss Andy Irons PM me and I'll unlock the thread.

If you want to keep talking about depression start a new thread or do it via PM/MSN/some other off-forum way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • winslow_wong
  • Xzei
  • theshed
  • Battler
  • upthebroncs
  • bb_gun
  • jd87
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • ChewThePhatt
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.