Anthony Milford Discussion

The great halves are able to get their team on the front foot with a good kicking game and smart play, which is something our halves can't do.

Milford is still young. He hasn't fully matured yet. He is still developing. People seriously need to give him some time. He will be a great player one day.

I'm beginning to think that our halves are locked into an attacking game plan that puts them, by and large, into a kind of straight jacket.

Yet again, the coaching staff ought to roll out the videos of 2015 and see how it's done

I agree that he has not been his best and has not developed as much as he should have, but I think most halves would have struggled last night.

We were beaten in the forwards and he was getting the ball well in our own half most of the time and the D had him lined up constantly due to the slow play the ball.

Hunt was better, but not that much. In fact, the try he scored was because of the defence being so far up and in Milfords face that he could sneak in behind. Every other time he was passing the ball to milf under pressure already.

We were playing the best team in the comp at their home ground, after a shorter turnaround, after a game that went to second half of extra time against the second best team in the comp.....and we nearly won.

We look so much more like a team than last year, closer to 2015 defensive form, so I'm at least a little positive about last night.

Peace.

Since halfway through last season, whilst Hunt was trying his ass off Milford has been coasting and they've been playing as well as each other. BHQ decided to focus on Hunt and Milford got away with doing nothing, week in week out. He isn't trying. He wasn't trying.

I'm guessing the reason he didn't cop as much last year was because A) He was literally the best half in the competition for the first 8 rounds and B) It was only his 2nd full season at Five-Eighth.

But it's definitely alarming the way he's started this year, arguably looking worse than the end of last year, he needs to shape up real fast.

He's like 20 years old and looks like he's burnt out and over it. Weird.

I'm serious about getting him to play with gloves on. If nothing else it'd be a little reminder to him on the field to try and hold onto the ball...

I think the big issue for me at the moment, he is a player after a million dollar a year contract who is playing nowhere near that valuation. He is 23 in july, almost 100 games of first grade behind him with two full NRL seasons of playing five eighth in his locker. We can only talk about potential with him for so long. HE should be owning that position. I'd be loathe to pay him that kind of money based on his performances in the second half of last season and this one so far.

I know its early days, but something doesnt seem right with him. He is obviously on the heavy side, which isnt good for a player like him. He seems to have lost that little bit of spark and burst of speed which made him such a huge threat, The footwork is still there, but he has a lot of work to do to convince me he is a million dollar a year player.

Maybe we could trade Milford to the Titans for Taylor and sign Foran to partner with Taylor.. :shhhhhhhhhhhhosh:

Maybe we could trade Milford to the Titans for Taylor and sign Foran to partner with Taylor.. :shhhhhhhhhhhhosh:

It's crossed my mind those two could be great for us. I do really rate Milf, but I do think he needs to step up.

I was pretty sympathetic to milf last night but on reflection, he really fucked up.

The current Qld and Australian captain comes out and pretty much anoints him the next Qld, and by extension, Australian half, with a caveat of him being more consistent, and he turns in that performance. If that doesn't motivate him I don't know what will.

Yay the typical let's pick a player to attack routine. Hunts leaving so lets find a new patsy.

Correct.

It's Round 3 ffs where we just played Melbourne of all teams. Let's just calm down a bit guys. Milford has done more than enough in the last 2 years for us to have a little faith in him.

Losing him or dropping him are definitely over the top calls, but he shouldn't be immune to criticism just because he's the golden boy. He was fucking shit last night. He's definitely a huge talent, but he should aim to be consistent.

The current Qld and Australian captain comes out and pretty much anoints him the next Qld, and by extension, Australian half, with a caveat of him being more consistent, and he turns in that performance. If that doesn't motivate him I don't know what will.

Didn't Thurston do that for Morgan, not Milford?

Alec said:
Losing him or dropping him are definitely over the top calls, but he shouldn't be immune to criticism just because he's the golden boy. He was fucking shit last night. He's definitely a huge talent, but he should aim to be consistent.

Absolutely, couldn't have said it better myself.

Smith said that milf was next in line but needs consistency

Thurston isn't the current QLD and Australian Captain, Smith is. and it was Smith who anointed Milford as the next QLD half

...next QLD "half"

I realise that's it almost just a number these days, but maybe Milford is a 7?

maybe next year ....when Hunt goes, Milford might slot into "halfback" and Benji Marshall fillls a gap for a year until we find our next 5/8
?

On Marshall.....without being great, I thought he was solid last night. I'm happy to give him more minutes to acheive a 3 forwards and 1 utility bench.

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • MrMoore
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.