Anthony Milford Discussion

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
I'm not offended at all, I just think it's childish and ridiculous. Especially considering he's not fat

You do realise that the jokes were deliberately exaggerated because we all actually know he isn't that fat...

He does enjoy a side of wicked wings though.

john1420

john1420

It's Bronco Time
Contributor
Aug 27, 2008
Who dares not jest about race, disability or anything else?

I dare.

Yes the fat Milf jokes are played out, but do remember, a joke is a joke. You have the right to not be offended.

And fat is gross.

I can't believe you said that

Say anything you like about anyone, too bad if they are offended - they have the right not to be :ihatethosestormplayers:

Renegade

Renegade

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
I think this should be a separate topic in general - fat shaming - good or bad?

upthebroncs

upthebroncs

NRL Player
Oct 16, 2016
lol

Attachments

• IMG_4472.JPG
    IMG_4472.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 117
broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Can this not all go in another thread. So far we have about 4 pages in this thread either making fun of Milford or debating the pros and cons of repeatedly telling a joke that was only mildly funny in the first place.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
In regards to people getting annoyed with the jokes, I concur. They're pretty dry and unfunny, I only raised his weight again because I genuinely don't think it's a joking matter, I think it might actually be a serious problem for him. There's nothing really to joke about when your star player isn't capable of following an off-season dietary schedule, ESPECIALLY when it's causing him to play worse, which is an absolute fact at this point, he was horrible at the start of last season, around the same time articles started coming out about his playing weight. He was at his electric best in 2014 for the Raiders & 2015 for us, funnily enough, when he was at his lightest.

Someone said earlier on this page "Especially considering he's not fat", that's wrong. He is fat by definition, I went over the statistics last season, he is the ONLY player in the NRL that plays in the Halves that is technically obese on the BMI scale. You can mock the BMI scale all you want as a body measuring method, but that's an alarming thing to see, not to mention that he looks even a tad heavier this off-season as well.

It's looking like it may get worse before it gets better unless there is a major shift in attitude from the man himself. I wouldn't be shocked if Wayne gives him an ultimatum if he starts the season as poorly as he did last season and is looking a little heavy around the edges, much like James Roberts was banned from alcohol, we may seriously need to consider the junk food equivalent for Milford, food addiction & alcohol addiction are in the same genre, and neither is a joking matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wolfie

Wolfie

International Captain
Jan 14, 2015
Milf issue isnt the food so much, its the liking he has for a certain soft drink.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Milford's weight is not the problem.

It's his mindset. He does not have game management skills, a kicking game or the ability to take control during clutch moments. And that is largely due to being an excellent player in a no-expectation environment (Raiders and 2015), to being the chosen one in the biggest sporting club in the country.

The fact Hunt has been shown the door should either heap further expectation on Milford or it might finally remove the toxic relationship between the two and allow Milford to truly take ownership of the team.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
In regards to people getting annoyed with the jokes, I concur. They're pretty dry and unfunny, I only raised his weight again because I genuinely don't think it's a joking matter, I think it might actually be a serious problem for him. There's nothing really to joke about when your star player isn't capable of following an off-season dietary schedule, ESPECIALLY when it's causing him to play worse, which is an absolute fact at this point, he was horrible at the start of last season, around the same time articles started coming out about his playing weight. He was at his electric best in 2014 for the Raiders & 2015 for us, funnily enough, when he was at his lightest.

Someone said earlier on this page "Especially considering he's not fat", that's wrong. He is fat by definition, I went over the statistics last season, he is the ONLY player in the NRL that plays in the Halves that is technically obese on the BMI scale. You can mock the BMI scale all you want as a body measuring method, but that's an alarming thing to see, not to mention that he looks even a tad heavier this off-season as well.

It's looking like it may get worse before it gets better unless there is a major shift in attitude from the man himself. I wouldn't be shocked if Wayne gives him an ultimatum if he starts the season as poorly as he did last season and is looking a little heavy around the edges, much like James Roberts was banned from alcohol, we may seriously need to consider the junk food equivalent for Milford, food addiction & alcohol addiction are in the same genre, and neither is a joking matter.
Returning to this and last year's discussion on obesity and BMI, and whether it affects certain demographics more than others, here is the result of a genetic study that could explain a lot in regards to Milford's "Obesity". In Milford's case, it would put him 5-6 Kgs heavier than he would otherwise be... and well out of the "Technically Obese" label put on him.

By studying the genomes of more than 5000 Samoans, researchers from the University of Pittsburgh have uncovered a single gene that boosts a person's obesity risk by upwards of 40 per cent. Remarkably, this gene -- which appears in a quarter of all Samoans -- may have arisen in the population as they colonised the South Pacific.Image: TransPacificProject

As described in the latest edition of Nature Genetics, this "thrifty" genetic variant, called CREBRF, is associated with a 1.5 per cent increase in Body Mass Index (BMI). So, for a person of average height weighing around 82kg, this gene corresponds to an extra 5kg. As noted by the researchers in their study, CREBRF promotes more efficient storage of fat and features "an effect size much larger than that of any other known common BMI risk variant".

The University of Pittsburgh researchers, led by Stephen McGarvey, made the discovery while scanning the genomes of thousands of Samoans. This populations has some of the highest obesity rates in the world, a fact that prompted the scientists to conduct a genetic investigation. Around a quarter of all Samoans involved in the study had the genetic variant, which was associated with 30 to 40 per cent increased odds of being obese compared to those who don't have the gene. At the same time, this gene is virtually non-existent in European and African populations and occurs at very low frequencies among East Asians.

"Although we have found a genetic variant with a reasonable biological mechanism, this genetic variant is just one part of the many reasons for the high levels of BMI and obesity among Samoans," noted McGarvey in a press statement.

Other factors include diet and physical activity. Indeed, the globe's shift to kilojoule-rich processed foods and more sedentary lifestyles has contributed significantly to the elevated rates of obesity among Samoans. But as this new study points out, their genetics are also working against them.

This gene appears to work by causing cells to store more fat and release less energy. As Alice Klein pointed out in New Scientist, it's as "if [cells] are trying to conserve as much fuel as possible". And indeed, there may be a very good reason why this gene appears at elevated levels among Samoans. It has to do with their history of colonising the South Pacific Islands.

Starting around 3500 years ago, ancestors of Samoans began the arduous task of settling the 24 major island groups of Polynesia. This colonisation process -- one of the most extreme examples in all of human history -- took possibly thousands of years to complete. "They had to endure voyages between islands and subsequently survive on those islands," study co-author Ryan Minster told New Scientist.

As Darwin pointed out many years ago, evolution requires long timescales. But in some instances, when environmental conditions are particularly severe and attritional, selectional processes accelerate the process -- an evolutionary phenomenon dubbed "punctuated equilibrium" by the late evolutionary biologist Stephen Jay Gould.

The problem, however, is that Samoans no longer require this gene. This would explain why upwards of 80 per cent of men and women in Samoa are now overweight. "Samoans weren't obese 200 years ago," noted McGarvey. "The gene hasn't changed that rapidly -- it's the nutritional environment that changed that rapidly."

[Nature Genetics via New Scientist]
LINK: https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2016/07/...ene-helped-samoans-conquer-the-south-pacific/

Of course, this doesn't absolve him of potentially bad diet habits, but it will hopefully make people think before posting whatever comes to their mind based on a picture from a player in a particularly unflattering posture...

Last edited:

Active Now

• Mick_Hancock
  • BroncoFan94
  • Foordy
  • Lozza
  • bb_gun
  • Shane Tronc
  • Xzei
  • leon.bott
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.