Status
Not open for further replies.
Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
[h=1][/h]

origin:video_integrator.xseWN1dzrcFAN8fbJdAcoyB7aDEz3WXO
WAYNE Bennett will move to scupper poaching raids on Anthony Milford by handing the Brisbane whiz-kid a $3 million upgrade that will make him a Bronco for life.
The Courier-Mail can reveal the Broncos will begin talks with Milford’s management on a new, multi-year contract after Sunday’s NRL grand final against the Cowboys.
And Milford has made it clear he is going nowhere.
v1
On Saturday, having piloted Brisbane to the big dance with a five-star display against the Roosters, he sent a text message to his agent Sam Ayoub which read: “One more mate ... I can’t thank you enough for bringing me home”.

The quick-stepping dynamo is the hottest five-eighth property in the NRL and could ostensibly name his price if he tested his value on the open market.
But Bennett and Brisbane’s recruitment arm have already formulated strategic plans to ensure the lethal Milford-Ben Hunt scrumbase alliance will not be broken for a decade.
In November, upon Bennett’s arrival, the club furtively handed Milford a 12-month extension, pushing out his tenure at Red Hill until 2017.
Now, in the wake of Milford’s remarkable debut season at Red Hill, the Broncos will discuss a four-year upgrade to keep the Maroons hopeful until the end of 2021.
4167a10b6f8aefc0cde155484074e4fe
Milford has starred in his first season with the Broncos.
With the NRL salary cap to rise to as much as $10 million over the term of the code’s next TV rights deal, Milford stands to pocket at least $750,000 a season.
Milford was embroiled in a bitter tug of war when he activated a get-out clause to quit Canberra last season, but Ayoub says the silky pivot wants to remain at Brisbane for the long haul.
“At the end of day, he has settled in and he can’t be happier with the Broncos. He’d love to finish his career here if that’s possible,” Ayoub said.
“We initially signed Anthony for two years (until the end of 2016) but we actually did a small upgrade with the Broncos without announcing it to anybody.

“It was just for one year. We’re in no rush but if the Broncos want to go for a longer term, we’ll certainly be happy to look at it.
“He enjoyed his time at Canberra and in fairness they were very good to him, but home is where the heart is and Anthony’s family in Brisbane was the trump card.”

d09001101abb14e6e3f80429c0200feb
The 21-year old has scored tries in both of the Broncos finals matches.
Ayoub also manages Cowboys champion Johnathan Thurston and says Milford can cultivate a Thurston-style legacy at Red Hill.
“Anthony is like Johnathan, he had to go away to make it but JT has since settled at the Cowboys for 13 years and hopefully Anthony can do what JT did,” he said.
“It’s a great fit. Anthony feels comfortable with Wayne (Bennett), he lets him play natural football and if something doesn’t come off, Wayne doesn’t rip into him.”
Milford credited Bennett and assistants Kevin Walters and Allan Langer for helping him realise his potential in Brisbane’s No. 6 hot seat.
“To be at the big dance, I can’t be happier and it’s been the right move for me,” he said.
“Wayne changed it all for me, he has made this grand final happen for us as a group.
“I owe a lot to ‘Alfie’ and ‘Kevvie’, they have been there all year for me and Benny Hunt and I’ll take some pointers from them for the game this week.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-grand-final-anthony-milford-set-to-ink-contract-extension-with-brisbane/story-fnp0lyn6-1227551122915

Yes please . Make it happen.

Three words: Whatever it takes.

Give him whatever he wants, $750k a year is a bargain with the cap going up.

“One more mate ... I can’t thank you enough for bringing me home”.

Stand by for Greenhouse meltdown. But to be fair to Milf, there's a big difference between being a star in a mediocre team and being a star in a premiership heavyweight. Sure, he was a standout before but he's come along in leaps and bounds in the last twelve months.

750k from the cap is a bargin! Well worth 1.2 - 1.5. Will probably get that through 3rd party deal. Can feel a new broncos dynasty starting!

I actually have no doubt at all that Milford will be a great player for years to come, even though his kicking and organising still needs a lot of work, you can't teach speed and instincts, which is what he has, we'd be making a mistake to not sign him to the longest contract possible while we can.

He's a huge talent, but long contracts worry me. So many times it has backfired in recent history.

He's a bit better than nuff Zillman, and has a better coach than nuff Cartwright.

750k? Done. Sign him till 2021 please.

Milford is one of the few players I have zero hesitation giving as long a contract as possible. He will only get better, and he's only 21!

Even though $750k is bloody good, my initial reaction was that it could potentially get Hunt off side, he was re-signed on about $450k, wasn't he? But then I realised that this extension is post-2017, so it's possible (probably) that Hunt too will get an upgrade. $1.5mill for two of the best halves, in a $10 million salary cap, is the equivalent of about $300k each in 2010. Pretty handy.

Even though $750k is bloody good, my initial reaction was that it could potentially get Hunt off side, he was re-signed on about $450k, wasn't he? But then I realised that this extension is post-2017, so it's possible (probably) that Hunt too will get an upgrade. $1.5mill for two of the best halves, in a $10 million salary cap, is the equivalent of about $300k each in 2010. Pretty handy.

Hunt will probably get the captaincy too which will lead to a new contract for him anyway

Imagine in like four years, Hunt and Milf Broncos halves, Queensland halves and Australian halves. How good would that be.

Yeah I don't think Hunt will be forgotten either, you have to remember this is the best on paper halves combination we have had since Walters and Langer, the Broncos will be just as keen to retain Hunt long term because doing so ensures they have a halves combination they can build around. Not just that but both players are very marketable players, it's in their interest to very much keep them.

Their combination didn't really gel until halfway through this year. It's only now that we're starting to reap the benefits of their combination.

Imagine what they'll be like with several years experience together. :drool:

Milf is going to be deadly if he can maintain consistency. He's got freakish instinct. I personally can't remember what Thurston was like at 21, but I'd put my money on there being some similarities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• Wolfie
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Aldo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bronx48
  • Fozz
  • BroncosAlways
  • Culhwch
  • Midean
  • Morkel
  • Broncorob
  • KateBroncos1812
  • westy316
  • winslow_wong
  • Skyblues87
  • Financeguy
  • Harry Sack
  • Organix
  • broncsgoat
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.