Anthony Mundine at it again

Wait, how is Mosley skipping out Mundines fault? Hell it's barely even Mosleys. The promoter promised money that he didn't have and Sydney once again failed to sell an event.

Jeff Fenech slams Anthony Mundine after losing $500k on cancelled fight | News.com.au

JEFF Fenech lost $500,000 on what he now claims is an irrefutable truth: “Anthony Mundine is the most hated Australian ever”.

Mundine is today at the centre of a sporting gaffe to rival Fine Cotton and Trevor Chappell bowling underarm after US great Shane Mosley sensationally withdrew from tonight’s scheduled bout at the Sydney Entertainment Centre.

The controversial Redfern fighter has also been labelled “a bullshit artist” by Fenech after yesterday claiming little knowledge of what the Australian fight great had done to help save the fight, including a $350,000 cash payment when Mosley first threatened to walk in August.

Asked at a press conference if he felt sorry for the Marrickville Mauler, who all up has lost half-a-million dollars, Mundine laughed and said no.

“And, look, he can say what he likes,’’ Fenech said last night. “I now realise Anthony Mundine is the most hated Australian ever.

“This fight, he just couldn’t sell it. Nobody cares anymore. I’m sure he thinks he will come out of this okay, but you saw his press conference, it was typical Mundine bullshit.

“He knew exactly what I’d done for this fight because we spoke about it. Often. I’m not worried about the money but when so many people helped him get to a bloke he never could’ve on his own . . . classless.”

Fenech revealed he was in his backyard on Monday night, about to fire up a barbecue, when he learned one of the most embarrassing gaffe’s in Australian sports history was already underway.

“I’d invited Sergio Mora, the sparring partner for Shane Mosley, over for dinner,” he says. “He walked into my backyard, shook my hand and said ‘Jeff, we’re going home first thing tomorrow’.

“Sergio knew I’d put up $500,000 and wanted to let me know. So what do you do . . . we sat down and had a barbecue."

Mosley jetted out of Sydney early yesterday after agreed payments on his $1 million purse were not met. The dramatic disappearance topped a shambolic 15 months involving the US great, Mundine and embattled fight promoter Vlad Warton.

Seen as something of a ‘Last Chance Saloon’ for both fighters, the Sydney bout was first hatched last July - when Mundine linked with Warton for his US debut against American journeyman Bronco McKart.

While that bout drew only 286 paying customers, for an embarrassing $15,000 gate, the pair left Las Vegas talking dollar signs and a date with Mosley. And Warton, to his credit, made it happen.

Yet still the fight needed cash.

Enter Fenech.

With Warton unable to find a major sponsor, and Mosley already threatening to walk in August, Fenech generously stepped in and placed $350,000 into an escrow account.

“And now you’ve got Anthony coming out to say he’ll save the day,’’ Fenech laughs. “But why didn’t he put the money up this week? He could be fighting now.

“It’s typical Mundine. I guess that is why nobody likes him.”

Did Mundine ditch the trash talk this time be sues he's supposed to be the 'responsible' influence for Ferguson?

Is boxing relevant anymore? I mean, does anyone even enjoy it that much?

People like watching other people get beaten up, but Boxing just teases you, it's mostly just swats and they get separated at the sign of anything real starting, like they are 10 years old again.

There needs to be an official televised Fight Club...well, minus the no talking about it rule.

Well I still watch boxing and there is plenty real action still happening. It's easy to say it's all rigged or soft but the truth is something else. Boxing has always had rorts but the majority of fights are genuine. Sometimes the judging is highly suspect but if someone's punching you in the head and you're spouting blood it seems like a hard way to earn a soft dollar. Unless the PC crowd takes over totally, boxing is here forever. Wish I was young again, love to be able to fight someone, all in good fun of course.

Well I still watch boxing and there is plenty real action still happening. It's easy to say it's all rigged or soft but the truth is something else. Boxing has always had rorts but the majority of fights are genuine. Sometimes the judging is highly suspect but if someone's punching you in the head and you're spouting blood it seems like a hard way to earn a soft dollar. Unless the PC crowd takes over totally, boxing is here forever. Wish I was young again, love to be able to fight someone, all in good fun of course.

I'll take you on buddy, all in good fun. I'll borrow my sister's pink boxing gloves to make you feel better.

Lol...back in the day maybe. Now , probably need an ambulance after 10 seconds ! The thrill of it all, it's why people play contact sports.

UFC 1-30 or so will satiate you for sure! Nothing like watching a Sumo wrestler lose all their teeth. Not to mention Tank Abbot's knockouts. Or repeated punches to the nuts of that Kiwi fighter... So many crazy moments before rules were introduced!

This is why boxing is crap now. There's something a lot better. My old man used to hire out the old cage fighting VHS when I was really young and those ones were crazy! Even with rules it's more entertaining than boxing.

Perfectly put by Steven Ross, Mundine is not an expert on Aboriginal culture. His opinion on this topic and almost every topic is invalid.

Perfectly put by Steven Ross, Mundine is not an expert on Aboriginal culture. His opinion on this topic and almost every topic is invalid.

Good point BM, but I question your use of the word "almost" :laugh:

I'll take you on buddy, all in good fun. I'll borrow my sister's pink boxing gloves to make you feel better.

Your "sisters" .....yeah right, as if. :aetsch:

Someone needs to put him down. And I don't mean call him names, I mean euthanise him.

Might be the best place to ask this, why does Green constantly carry on about dropping a weight class to fight Mundine last time? His own website fight record shows he was in Mundines class for all but 2 of his fights in his career up until that point and those 2 both came years before he took on Mundine. It was AFTER his loss to Mundine that he went up a class permanently.

Because boxers don't have brains. If they did, they'd go and get a job.

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • Waynesaurus
  • GCBRONCO
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wolfie
  • Skyblues87
  • broncs30
  • Culhwch
  • Lurker
  • Manifesto
  • Wendall Taylor
  • Xzei
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Rambstien
  • HarryAllan7
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.