NEWS Anthony Seibold insists Darius Boyd will not be forced into an early retirement

Mmmm, Boyd's not playing brilliantly but he's playing okay. I imagine two wins will have most of us stay quiet until we lose again.

I'm amazed the coach doesn't really get why Boyd and his form has attracted so much comment. We now know Seibold has absolutely no intention to replace Boyd now or next year.

Another Darius Boyd article...

Seriously, how many ways can the Courier Mail say the same thing?

I like Darbs. Honestly, I don't think he's going too bad.

Yeah there were some defensive mistakes against the Rabbitohs and we needed to be more composed in attack, but he's got more right than wrong after a handful of games in a new position, I think.

The dog piling, mouth frothing and eye bulging regarding Boyd is entertaining to be sure but is getting a little tiresome and tedious.

Looking at it from a slightly different angle - what if both Bennett and Seibold think he's still a pretty good player?

That's hilarious right?

Like when Gordie said the Broncos went back to "Bennett-ball" in that huge win over the Roosters - the comments were largely ignored because it suited nobody's agenda so Seibs backing Darbs won't get much traction or acceptance.

Do all you Pro-Boyd posters not understand there is a big problem for the club moving forward when you have an $800k player who is way past his best playing in an important attacking position on the field?

‘Oh but he isn’t playing as bad as we make out’

That excuse only washes if he is on half the amount and not stunting our attack and playing in self preservation mode.

Do all you Pro-Boyd posters not understand there is a big problem for the club moving forward when you have an $800k player who is way past his best playing in an important attacking position on the field?

That excuse only washes if he is on half the amount and not stunting our attack and playing in self preservation mode.

It's not Boyds fault he keeps getting picked, and it's not Boyds fault the club decided to pay him big money. The way some of you carry on its like Darius is forcing people to pick him.

Now that's the spirit!

I wouldn't exactly say I'm "Pro-Boyd" - I'm just trying to take the good with the bad.

Darbs made a crucial play the other night regathering a charge down and making a strong run in return.

It was massive. The ball ended up in our in-goal. It could've easily been a try to the Bunnies.

A try saved is a try scored and all that.

Also, the missed tackles and bad defensive reads are a problem. Not saying they aren't. Give the bloke a chance. He's been a five-eighth for five minutes!

Also, most important positions in a footy team are taken up by players earning big dollars.

Dropping them seems a worse idea than trying to make use of them somehow. It's tough to articulate why.

The Broncos aren't the only club that struggle with this.

Not that I watch many Knights games but it's really interesting how only a handful of commentators have had the courage to question Kalyn Ponga's recent efforts and attitude.

He could easily be dropped for a week to reserve grade. I'd do it. Or maybe I wouldn't.

It's not Boyds fault he keeps getting picked, and it's not Boyds fault the club decided to pay him big money. The way some of you carry on its like Darius is forcing people to pick him.

I feel like people are pretty salty across the board. I’ve seen criticism aimed at Bennett, the board, White, and Seibold. The attacks do get too personal at times but no one has solely blamed Boyd. He will obviously cop most the criticism because he’s the one taking knees and slipping in quite suspect situations,

Mmmm, Boyd's not playing brilliantly but he's playing okay. I imagine two wins will have most of us stay quiet until we lose again.

I'm amazed the coach doesn't really get why Boyd and his form has attracted so much comment. We now know Seibold has absolutely no intention to replace Boyd now or next year.
The coach is somewhat limited in what he can say at pressers, it's not like Seibold can say "yeah you ***** are bang on, Boyd's the fucken shittest **** what ever strapped on a pair of boots ay." And even if he toned his criticism right down, that's the way it'd be reported given the current narrative around Boyd along with the absolute tyre fire that is our media.

I've got no issue with him being dropped. He isn't performing well enough. I just feel people are targeting their ire at the wrong bloke.
I'll give him this season even though it's been going on for 2 seasons now. But an honourable bloke that really cared about the club and his own legacy would do the right thing and hang up the boots this off-season. That said if he does hang around then it's up to Seibs to pull the trigger.

The attacks do get too personal at times
I say get as personal as you like, he doesn't read it remember.

Considering Locky has even talked about it, and he is on a board, I think this is just PR nonsense.

I'll give him this season even though it's been going on for 2 seasons now. But an honourable bloke that really cared about the club and his own legacy would do the right thing and hang up the boots this off-season. That said if he does hang around then it's up to Seibs to pull the trigger.

I say get as personal as you like, he doesn't read it remember.

Why should he have to quit if he thinks he has more to offer and the coach thinks he has more to offer? I think it's a cop out. He has a contract he earned, if he wants to see it out so be it. Doesnt mean he should be in the team. If he isn't playing well enough or if we can come up with a better performer, then Seibold should drop him and pick the other bloke.

All the people wanting him to break his contract and give it away would be spitting chips if say Payne Haas decided to do a Sonny Bill and walk away from his contract half way through. For good or bad, if you have a contract, both parties should be entitled to stick to it. Just because you don't quit doesn't mean you arent honorable or you don't love the club.

I've got no issue with him being dropped. He isn't performing well enough. I just feel people are targeting their ire at the wrong bloke.
This is what is intriguing me and I wish I knew the inside story of why he has not been dropped. There is clearly a reason or reasons we are not aware of.

I think Seibs said the reason he hasn't been dropped. He has been great for him and all the young blokes. Maybe Boyd is a good leader behind the scenes. Is a professional and honourable bloke who owns his current form in private with his teammates and coach. Maybe the boys love him and want him to be at his best again.

While we all bag the bloke from the outside we have zero idea of what goes on behind closed doors. He could be the thing that has held the team together post Wayne. Boyd can have his chance next year. The club and him will have 14 games to find out if he still has it.

I would rather a senior player like Boyd then slippery ***** like Pearce, Ponga and Klemmer who would rather try and get their coached sacked then own their shit performances. I don't care about what Boyd says in the media as long as him and the coach are honest in private.

I would rather a senior player like Boyd then slippery ***** like Pearce, Ponga and Klemmer who would rather try and get their coached sacked then own their shit performances. I don't care about what Boyd says in the media as long as him and the coach are honest in private.
Which apparently is happening.

I think Seibs said the reason he hasn't been dropped. He has been great for him and all the young blokes. Maybe Boyd is a good leader behind the scenes. Is a professional and honourable bloke who owns his current form in private with his teammates and coach. Maybe the boys love him and want him to be at his best again.

While we all bag the bloke from the outside we have zero idea of what goes on behind closed doors. He could be the thing that has held the team together post Wayne. Boyd can have his chance next year. The club and him will have 14 games to find out if he still has it.

Well said man, spot on.

I'm not exactly going to be calling Boyd the best 5/8 in the game or anything, he's clearly struggling but at some point it's better to just move the **** on as fans IMO.

If Seibold thinks he is part of our best 17, so be it. He clearly offers a fair bit away from his direct efforts otherwise why would the coach back him so valiantly? Seibold owes Darius nothing, he never signed him, he could easily drop him.

We all know man management is just as important as tactical plays in the NRL and Boyd being in the team could very well be a net benefit. We don't know, we'll never know but how would it look to Payne Haas when Boyd has 2 years on his contract and the club tells him to **** off? Well guess what, he might think well **** this place, I should try to get out of my contract too.

Same thing with Glenn, excellent player, he may not necessarily be in our starting 13 but looking after your veterans is how you convince guys like David Fafita to stick around because one day he may not be the superstar prospect he is today. Would you rather sign with the Broncos or a club like the Roosters who will find a "positive result" when they need a player out the door, no matter how long or how much they've signed on for.

You don't build culture by treating players badly.

Now that all being said, if Boyd is not in our best 17, that's not his call to make, it's Seibold's call to make and you can still look after experienced veterans where they still play an important role every week even if they're not running out in first grade come Friday.

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • TimWhatley
  • Battler
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Morkel
  • Dash
  • Jazza
  • Mustafur
  • Aldo
  • bb_gun
  • Organix
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • westy316
  • BroncoFan94
  • theshed
... and 19 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.