Any AFL Fans?

Really good effort from Richmond. On paper, they've got a fairly no-name team, but they've worked out what their good at and done it well.

Riewoldt, Martin, Cotchin and Rance are their version of the 'spine' and are all very good to the best in their positions but yeah outside that, they were really smart in trades and bought in really smart draft picks.

I reckon the Lions are about two years from finals just quietly, they are heading in a similar direction.

After watching that game today and it being my first, I might watch some more AFL games next season, when does it start again?

Riewoldt, Martin, Cotchin and Rance are their version of the 'spine' and are all very good to the best in their positions but yeah outside that, they were really smart in trades and bought in really smart draft picks.

I reckon the Lions are about two years from finals just quietly, they are heading in a similar direction.

Educate me on the Lions, Sproj. The basic gist I get is that they keep drafting young guys who either get injured or use the Lions to boost their own careers and then head elsewhere. Have they actually nailed a few good talents down? What's the story?

Educate me on the Lions, Sproj. The basic gist I get is that they keep drafting young guys who either get injured or use the Lions to boost their own careers and then head elsewhere. Have they actually nailed a few good talents down? What's the story?

Yeah the old recruiting in what you say is spot on. They've had some really good draft picks who have all gone home. Guys like Yeo and Polec have gone on to become superstars at their clubs.

Others like Aish could have been built around but wanted out for 'homesickness'. Schache is the latest but he re-signed and that is huge for the club.

The Lions changed tact a couple of seasons ago and started recruiting country kids and Qlders and it seems to be working. They have picked up some great early picks the last two years and have had top level talent in their academy which they haven't had before, particularly Hipwood (who looks like he will be an absolute freak), Keays and Allison. Ballenden this season too.

They've recruited well with Beams (the captain), Christiansen, Martin and Robinson but these guys have all been injured and the rest of the side is too young to cope at this stage.

They are on the way up but need a lot to go their way but the coach chosen seems like an inspired decision. They also have a new training facility.

Top stuff.

Yeah the old recruiting in what you say is spot on. They've had some really good draft picks who have all gone home. Guys like Yeo and Polec have gone on to become superstars at their clubs.

Others like Aish could have been built around but wanted out for 'homesickness'. Schache is the latest but he re-signed and that is huge for the club.

The Lions changed tact a couple of seasons ago and started recruiting country kids and Qlders and it seems to be working. They have picked up some great early picks the last two years and have had top level talent in their academy which they haven't had before, particularly Hipwood (who looks like he will be an absolute freak), Keays and Allison. Ballenden this season too.

They've recruited well with Beams (the captain), Christiansen, Martin and Robinson but these guys have all been injured and the rest of the side is too young to cope at this stage.

They are on the way up but need a lot to go their way but the coach chosen seems like an inspired decision. They also have a new training facility.

Top stuff.

Thoughts on Hodge probably joining?

Hodge would be good for a season of playing and then transitioning into coaching. His leadership, professionalism and experience will really help the young Lions side.

Thoughts on Hodge probably joining?

He hasn't got anything left so it's a gamble BUT I think the idea is right and I'm all for it, he's a legend and our defense needs his experience. He will teach the likes of Andrews and McStay so much, even if he struggles, his professionalism and competitiveness is worth it alone, plus he will join our coaching staff after, very well needed.

What are your thoughts?

Top stuff.
Apparently Schache has done a runner. He lives with a couple of other players - they got home from end of season trip and all his stuff was gone. Moved back home and supposedly has no intention of returning.

Apparently Schache has done a runner. He lives with a couple of other players - they got home from end of season trip and all his stuff was gone. Moved back home and supposedly has no intention of returning.

Wow.

Really? That's huge if true but he did sign a contract extension so the Lions hold the upper hand. If he leaves, as long as we are compensated, it isn't necessarily a bad thing since Hipwood is better already and we will also pick up Ballanden this draft.

I've heard those rumours. TBH if it's true the Lions are better off if they trade him now and get the best they can for him. I'm not sure I believe the rumour just yet.

Really? That's huge if true but he did sign a contract extension so the Lions hold the upper hand. If he leaves, as long as we are compensated, it isn't necessarily a bad thing since Hipwood is better already and we will also pick up Ballanden this draft.
That's one area (of many) where the AFL beats the NRL - if a player wants to ditch their current club, the club at least gets to hold them ransom for draft picks/equivalent players in return. Unfortunately for lower placed teams like the Lions, it often gets them in an endless cycle of high draft picks with no players to actually show for it.

He hasn't got anything left so it's a gamble BUT I think the idea is right and I'm all for it, he's a legend and our defense needs his experience. He will teach the likes of Andrews and McStay so much, even if he struggles, his professionalism and competitiveness is worth it alone, plus he will join our coaching staff after, very well needed.

What are your thoughts?

Tbh I haven’t followed much AFL since the golden years. I think the constant Geelong-Hawthorn domination bored me. Was interested to hear yours as it sounds like you’re far more up on it than me.

But I agree with what you’ve said. Regardless of whatever he contributes onfield, what he brings off it and to the squad will be far more valuable long term

HANNAH Mouncey was knocked back from the AFLW because she is too big and too strong.
You wouldn’t have read that in Tuesday’s official announcement from the AFLbecause they didn’t want to say it.
It’s got nothing to do with anything else.
NOT READY: MOUNCEY”S AFLW BID KNOCKED BACK
DRAFT HOPES: VICTORIA’S TOP AFL WOMEN’S TALENTS

So, people wondering about a man becoming a woman and all the complications which go with that, just park your curiosity.
Mouncey’s physical attributes precluded her from playing semi-professional sport, which is AFLW.
Her position as a transgender woman allows her to represent Australia at the Olympics because her testosterone levels are way below IOC guidelines and allowed her to play for Ainslie in Canberra in a non-professional capacity.
e74d8437be97aba22bd07008fad0d94a

Hannah Mouncey has been excluded from the AFLW draft. Picture: Ray Strange
But it does not allow her to play AFLW.
Mouncey is 190cm and 100kg.
That puts her in the range of Cam Pedersen (193, 99) and Tom McDonald (194, 101), take a few centimetres.
It seems the women currently playing in the competition need protection from Mouncey.
While some of the women playing might voice concerns about her, the majority of women I’ve encountered have the same verve and competitiveness as the men and would treat Mouncey as just another big lump of an opponent.
Remember, there’s not a lot of fear in these women.
But the AFL believe otherwise.
They believe the current bunch of women are too meek, too mild and too soft to handle the might of Mouncey.
It’s rubbish. The women’s game needs more skill and precision, but it doesn’t lack for heart and aggression.
Look at Lily Mithen. She’s 159cm and competes like a demon.
111c616baead6bc6b52b63cba09927d8

A YES sign posted outside AFL House earlier this year.
3539b81c1912687aae33d4b9ae517aae

Macca’s take on the AFL’s exclusion of Hannah Mouncey.
If elite football is open to women, and Mouncey is recognised as a woman, then women of all sizes and shapes should be allowed to play.
It’s the mantra for football from day one.
It’s why we had Tony Lockett and Tony Liberatore on the same field. Big Carl Ditterich and thin Robbie Flower. And last season, Shane Mumford and Caleb Daniel.
Football is partly about confronting fears and confronting — and avoiding — bigger opponents.
The AFL has its arguments, despite them not being clearly revealed.
The league thinks the current competition isn’t ready for Mouncey.
Next year it might be. The AFL banned Mouncey from this year’s draft, but will allow her to apply again next year, when, to use the words of the league, the “maturity of the AFLW competition (and) its current player cohort” presumably will be stronger.
The ruling has given Mouncey hope and you just can’t imagine the AFL slamming the door in her face for the second time.
Inclusion? Try exclusion.
The AFL should be disappointed in itself for ruling on Mouncey a day before the AFLW draft.

It’s all very well to hashtag equality etc but, suddenly things aren’t so simple and you have to have equality with an asterisk.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...n/news-story/97f2618483c0a48c40dfa24603053e4e

Anyone following the trade window?

I'll bite my tongue on this one. It's a sensitive topic (Is it really though). But this is Fallon Fox. She is transgender and legally beats the shit out of women. This isn't the only case where transgender women completely dominate in sport.

Yeah, see that ain’t right. There’s obviously a huge advantage to having male physiology when competing against women. There’s so much money at stake in MMA that cashflow rules the decisions.

It seems akin to Usain Bolt strapping on a push-up bra and setting world records that will never be beaten.
Your so right @soup. It's getting more and more ridiculous.

Yeah, see that ain’t right. There’s obviously a huge advantage to having male physiology when competing against women. There’s so much money at stake in MMA that cashflow rules the decisions.

It seems akin to Usain Bolt strapping on a push-up bra and setting world records that will never be beaten.
They're using her low (within 'female' standards) testosterone levels as the reason she should be allowed. Thing is, she only transitioned 2 years ago and has had a whole lifetime of male hormones to give an advantage. But on the flip side, is it really that much different from a Nikorima playing against an Asofa-Solomona in terms of a size/strength disparity?

The cynic in me thinks it was probably the insurance company's decision, not the AFL's.

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • pennywisealfie
  • Harry Sack
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Wolfie
  • Tim K
  • Battler
  • Brocko
  • Aldo
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Allo
  • Mr Fourex
  • Rah88
  • Financeguy
  • broncsgoat
  • Fozz
  • Sproj
  • Galah
... and 23 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.