Areas That Need Fixing for 2017

3) Game management. Storm lastnight closed the game out with 2 repeat sets as the final plays of the game. I understand Cronk/Smith are demigods BUT we don't have enough control. I really hope Macca/Hunt/Milf/Boyd work on this in the off-season; game management and forcing repeat sets. We don't do it anywhere near enough and it would improve our game massively if we could build pressure.

I think we go about game management the wrong way. For whatever reason, we tend to kick to the sidelines almost exclusively when we're trying to close out a match. That's negative play and it lets the opposition back in the game. It's what lost us the grand final, and its what has cost us games this season, especially because we start doing this with 20 mins remaining in the match. That's a quarter of the match remaining. I don't think we've ever tried to kick it in to the in goal. Its always to the sideline. We just stop playing the sort of football that got us into that position in the first place. It's almost like instead of playing to win, we shift to playing not to lose. The opposition are so relieved that we stop playing like we had up until that point, since their only just barely hanging on.

If game management isn't a strong point in our game, I'd much rather we ramp up the attack instead. Really put the foot on the oppositions throat and finish the match that way. Often the opposition looks out on their feet and instead of going for the killer blow, we just kick it out. We can rack up plenty of points with the sort of players we have, so we should really win our games by trying to be ruthless. I guarantee, with the attacking strike we have, we should be one of the best at scoring points in the final quarter of matches, but we're not because we shut up shop and let the opposition off the hook.

Our game management should be to let Hunt and Milford really run riot towards the back end of games.

I think we go about game management the wrong way. For whatever reason, we tend to kick to the sidelines almost exclusively when we're trying to close out a match. That's negative play and it lets the opposition back in the game. It's what lost us the grand final, and its what has cost us games this season, especially because we start doing this with 20 mins remaining in the match. That's a quarter of the match remaining. I don't think we've ever tried to kick it in to the in goal. Its always to the sideline. We just stop playing the sort of football that got us into that position in the first place. It's almost like instead of playing to win, we shift to playing not to lose. The opposition are so relieved that we stop playing like we had up until that point, since their only just barely hanging on.

I reckon you are spot on here. The games where we've looked the best is when we've used our kick chase to pin teams down and tire out their big forwards. The advantage in being the smaller forward pack is increased running capacity, but kicking for touch nullifies that. They get to walk to the scrum and get 5 big hit-ups in the next set and there's no chance of forcing them to defend for 2 or 3 sets in a row. Even if you don't get a repeat set, keeping the ball in play means the opposition use up their first tackle gathering the ball. If the kick/chase was good, you don't see a big forward hitting it up until late in the tackle count because they're still getting back onside. The games were we looked the best this year were the ones where we really focused on pinning the opposition on their try line.

There's too many ways in which we don't play to our strengths. I don't know if that's a coaching problem or the fault of our playmakers, probably both.

I reckon you are spot on here. The games where we've looked the best is when we've used our kick chase to pin teams down and tire out their big forwards. The advantage in being the smaller forward pack is increased running capacity, but kicking for touch nullifies that. They get to walk to the scrum and get 5 big hit-ups in the next set and there's no chance of forcing them to defend for 2 or 3 sets in a row. Even if you don't get a repeat set, keeping the ball in play means the opposition use up their first tackle gathering the ball. If the kick/chase was good, you don't see a big forward hitting it up until late in the tackle count because they're still getting back onside. The games were we looked the best this year were the ones where we really focused on pinning the opposition on their try line.

There's too many ways in which we don't play to our strengths. I don't know if that's a coaching problem or the fault of our playmakers, probably both.

Exactly right. I do think tactical coaching is a bit of an issue. I think more and more teams are getting tactically better, and I feel we're not moving with the times as much. Perhaps Bennett is reluctant to change his coaching style, and out of all the coaches, he's probably the one who likes to focus on his own team the most, rather than on what the other team is doing, and I can't fault that at all since it has made Bennett so successful over his coaching career, but I still think there are areas in the oppositions game we can exploit and turn to our advantage. Our mobility and attacking ability is something which sets us apart from most teams, but for whatever reason, we sometimes play an over simplified style which makes it hard to showcase our strengths as a team, and instead tends to play into the oppositions hand.

We seem to lack a bit of foresight. A game of football is played over 80 mins, and we need to build and make tactical, yet deliberate plays at the beginning of a game which will help us later on in the game. We don't need to score every play, but we need to build pressure. By building pressure, especially early on in a match, it ensures that when we do score, its because we've applied so much pressure, that the opposition just couldn't sustain it and it becomes physically very draining, as well as emotionally and mentally demoralising. It's why I'm not a huge fan of taking the penalty shot at goal, especially early on in the match, because it avoids building pressure, as well as allows the opposition to rest and reset.

Instead, It's why in the beginning of the game, I love getting some kicks away early in the tackle count. Early kicks ensure the winger is up in the line and its easier to find space in the backfield. It also sends the message to the wingers, that If you stay up in the line I'll kick behind you, so then the next time they prepare for the kick, and drop back, and it leaves a lot of space on the edges to capitalise on.

Also, most teams are bigger than us, so why not use that to our advantage. Keep the ball in play, make their forwards work in defence, and then turn their big guys around with an early kick. Muscle up in defence and restrict there go forward. After a few of these sorts of sets, their forwards are out on their feet, barely getting back on side and you've nullified their physical advantage and swung the game in our favour. it's when you up the ante with ball in hand. Quick footwork around the ruck as well as late offloads, followed by long shifts out to our speed men. Soon enough you're slowly, but surely breaking them down over the course of the match, to a point where it can be hard to recover from.

We could use a smarter hooker more than any position IMO. Macca is good defensively but we get fuckall from him in attack. No speedy darts to keep the markers honest, not that good at bringing the forwards onto the ball and non existent as a kicking option.

Hunts kicking is so average he needs help from somewhere. Is there anymore good pommies looking for a start even as a bench option.

I agree. If you keep kicking it out good half backs get 5 touches of the ball minimum with a scrum then set plays giving more chances to open you up. Keep the ball in and make them run from dummy half. I think it could be a fitness issue / interchange with us sometimes....whilst we blood small minute forwards but in my view we still can't get that interchange right (albeit better than griffin days). TPJ against cowboys proves it.

Andrew McCullough makes the same amount of tackles when you look at the stats for per game but when you look at running metres Cameron Smith is shitting on him. As well as try assists and line breaks Cameron Smith is beating him there as well. Andrew has a good scoot sometimes and is good in support as well as some of his offloads.

We could make a play for Wallace, he's going ok at hooker.

60191662.jpg

We all seen how useless we were without Macca this year. Wanting the next Cameron Smith is all well in mind but there will never be another Cameron Smith. He is in a class of his own period. Just be thankful we have a hooker that gives the ball to the halves who should be having the ball and don't hog it for themselves like a few 9s in the league.

Last edited:
Preliminary Final, 2015 - Brisbane Broncos vs Sydney Roosters Highlights - YouTube

Everyone was playing with confidence and was pumped, Milford looked so happy and played good.

Napa was putting shots on a few of our boys as well as big Blair was doing them in return we need to play like this like we used to.

Hunt was taking it to the line and giving it, he needs to do more of that next season.

This game is a bit of an eye opener of what we need to do next season.
There's a few other games from 2015 where we played even better then this.

Re Macca comments -

Where would you guys suggest we spend less money, if we're going for an upgrade at Hooker? Halves? Forwards? Outside backs?

Or if not more money, we would be looking at a rookie. Do you think having less experience in the spine is a good idea?

Yes, Macca obviously doesn't have the creativity of a Smith or Hodgson. His running game also isn't that great.

However, we need to be realistic and think about the balance of the team overall. Were definitely not breaking the bank and he's one of the most reliable/consistent players in our team who doesn't go missing during the rep period.

Considering we've invested heavily in the rest of our spine in terms of cap space, and will continue to do so going forward I am perfectly happy with Macca. We have two of the better halves at the comp at taking advantage of a retreating defensive line or a quick play the ball with their running game. I'd much rather we have a hooker who gets the ball to them when he see's those sort of opportunities, rather than take advantage of them himself.

The opportunity cost of upgrading him is not worth it either imo, I'd rather we get another prop who can give us more of those quick play the balls so Macca can shovel it out to Milf to do his thing.

Replacing Macca at this stage is silly, he's like the only one of our spine that can kick a 40/20. For that reason alone he should stay lol.

There is no sense in replacing him, he is not the reason we can't manage a game/kick strategically.

Replacing Macca at this stage is silly, he's like the only one of our spine that can kick a 40/20. For that reason alone he should stay lol.

There is no sense in replacing him, he is not the reason we can't manage a game/kick strategically.

Isn't he...?

Half the time he looks like he hasn't got a fucken clue who he should be passing to.

Active Now

• pennywisealfie
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.