RUMOUR Ashley Taylor to Manly in 2016

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
For those who missed the story last night.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/nrl-2015-manly-sea-eagles-eye-brisbane-holden-cup-halfback-ashley-taylor-what-you-missed-on-tv/story-e6frf3ru-1227341569030

Can't say this is exactly news, as Ikin broke the news last week and took it to Kevie Walters.

According to Ben Ikin Manly and a host of other clubs will be keeping a keen eye on young halfback Ashley Taylor at the Broncos.
“He’s got a lot of talent,” Broncos assistant coach Walters said. “He has all the skills you want in a halfback.
“There will be a lot of clubs looking at him. I believe he is still under contract for next year.”

Will he stay or will he go?

Is a move to Manly in his best interest?

And can the move benefit Brisbane in any shape or form?

It's probably in his best interest in reality, because he'll be a marquee signing for them and is virtually guaranteed a first grade spot and decent pay upgrade.

In saying that, I really hope he stays, because **** Manly, and because I want him at the Broncos in the future.

This kid had to be moved to Toowoomba just to get him ready for life in Brisbane. I am not sure going to Sydney would benefit him, perhaps one of the regional teams would be better

A move to Manly is absolutely in his best interests. There's no reasonable reason why he should stay here when you consider we just signed Milford and Boyd and both have a while left in the game.

What will be unforgivable is if we fail to re-sign Jayden and lose Taylor on top.

I actually believe it would be in Taylor's best interest to STAY at the Broncos.

That isn't exactly controversial given I'm a Broncos fan, but I'd offer the same advice to a Kane Elgey, Jackson Hastings and Drew Hutchinson.

In fact, more so Taylor than any of those players...

Here's why.

For the past few seasons, Taylor has undergone a lot of surgeries which has really stifled his development into a first grade talent. His birth certificate may suggest that he's 20 years old, but in terms of being a Rugby League talent, he's more like 19.

If he was to accept an offer from Manly and become their #1 halfback, he would have to accept all that responsibility of turning around a club that just lost the best halves pairing in the competition. Further, he has to trust his coach and can he trust a coach who by rights could be gone by the end of the year?

Accepting that deal maybe fantastic in the short term, but in the long term, if Manly fail to make the finals he will the scapegoat and his career could effectively be over at 22 and he becomes just another Brett Seymour or Brett Firman.

That's why I think he should follow in the foot-steps of three of the best halfbacks playing in the game - JT, Cronk and DCE. None of these players were superstars at age 20, they all had to serve time in reserve grade, make their marks there and then they got their starting chances at 22, 23 and 21 respectively.

Even Trent 'Lesnar' Hodkinson, aka the streak-breaker, won a premiership in Queensland Cup first before he came into notoriety as one of the best clutch players in the game.

So stay in Brisbane, make your debut as a Bronco, see what you can achieve and if you're not getting a proper go, leave at the end of 2016 or better 2017.

Of course the move can benefit us.

We can use his loss to bolster areas where we need to recruit....

If Manly want him for next year (when he is contracted to us) they can send us (for example) Brenton Lawrence (he's an origin standard prop in my view).

I actually believe it would be in Taylor's best interest to STAY at the Broncos.

That isn't exactly controversial given I'm a Broncos fan, but I'd offer the same advice to a Kane Elgey, Jackson Hastings and Drew Hutchinson.

In fact, more so Taylor than any of those players...

Here's why.

For the past few seasons, Taylor has undergone a lot of surgeries which has really stifled his development into a first grade talent. His birth certificate may suggest that he's 20 years old, but in terms of being a Rugby League talent, he's more like 19.

If he was to accept an offer from Manly and become their #1 halfback, he would have to accept all that responsibility of turning around a club that just lost the best halves pairing in the competition. Further, he has to trust his coach and can he trust a coach who by rights could be gone by the end of the year?

Accepting that deal maybe fantastic in the short term, but in the long term, if Manly fail to make the finals he will the scapegoat and his career could effectively be over at 22 and he becomes just another Brett Seymour or Brett Firman.

That's why I think he should follow in the foot-steps of three of the best halfbacks playing in the game - JT, Cronk and DCE. None of these players were superstars at age 20, they all had to serve time in reserve grade, make their marks there and then they got their starting chances at 22, 23 and 21 respectively.

Even Trent 'Lesnar' Hodkinson, aka the streak-breaker, won a premiership in Queensland Cup first before he came into notoriety as one of the best clutch players in the game.

So stay in Brisbane, make your debut as a Bronco, see what you can achieve and if you're not getting a proper go, leave at the end of 2016 or better 2017.

Yes!

Personally, I say go and do your thing. Doesn't matter if you have the weight of the world put on you, it's only football ! It's not like it is much to bear, a bit of expectation from fans and coaches plus a bit of your own. At the same age young men have returned from two years of war and got on with their lives albeit battle scarred, emotionally and physically . So what if you try and fail by the age of 22 ? Really, at 22 you're little more than a child with a few experiences behind you. I do not mean that in any belittling sense just that as you age you realise that 22 is right adjacent the start of life !

Working with Andrew Johns would be a big bonus. I think some of his skillset that he can teach is more easily transferable than Lockyer's.

IMO if he leaves, he will be the player that comes back to bite us and we will regret losing the most of any player we have let leave

Hunt and Milford have the 6 and 7 locked down for the next 5-8 years. One or both of them will lock down an Origin jersey in that period.

Milford will never play fullback for the Broncos, especially while Bennett is the coach, and even more especially while Boyd is at the Broncos.

His only pathway to first grade would seem through the bench utility back up hooker role. Kodi Nikorima has that locked down for now.

Whether Kodi shows enough promise in that role to be given a first dibs on the Origin period fill in role this year or over the next few years is yet to be seen.

I've seen more from Jayden Nikorima to suggest he would fulfill the bench utility role playing 15 minutes out of hooker better than Kodi or Ashely Taylor.

On the other hand Ashley seems more like a classic halfback, but we've got that covered and he'll have limited first grade opportunites to show his wares in that regard.

Either way, I don't think we can keep the Nikorima brothers and Ashley Taylor and I think from a "plug and play" perspective for the bench utility role, Jayden and Kodi are a better option.

IMO if he leaves, he will be the player that comes back to bite us and we will regret losing the most of any player we have let leave

Unless we run at him and score like 4 tries. That would be pretty great.

Unless we run at him and score like 4 tries. That would be pretty great.

so you think his defence will always be poor ... good to know it is an impossible skill to teach

Dobbo was quite convincing until he said "watch for Ash Taylor to be at the seagulls in 2016"

Active Now

• Rambstien
  • FACTHUNT
  • Bish
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Behind enemy lines
  • GCBRONCO
  • Mr Fourex
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Waynesaurus
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • Bucking Beads
  • broncsgoat
  • Fitzy
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.