Auckland 9 Squads

Judging by recent media reports, it sounds as if the Broncos had a change of heart and weren't going to name Hunt at all.

However, I was led to believe the only reason why Hunt was able to get away with that in the first place was that it was a low-range offence and he was only facing a week on the sideline. Sims is facing five weeks which supposedly made him ineligible.

So I'm not sure what the case is. Whether the 9s exist inside their own vacuum, whether Wayne wants to treat the WCC game as an opportunity to test out alternatives to Hunt or if the five week rule was bogus.

We'll find out shortly.

There is no mention of a 5 week rule. Only that if your grading is higher than Grade 2, you can't play.

And it seems Nines do not count towards suspensions. But not sure about that. There are so many different reports about it, but there is no mention of a 5 week rule.

Last edited:
Heres the Warriors

1 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck
2 Ryan Hoffman
3 Jacob Lillyman
4 David Fusitu’a
5 Solomone Kata
6 Tuimoala Lolohea
7 Shaun Johnson (c)
8 Charlie Gubb
9 Henare Wells
10 Konrad Hurrell
11 Ben Matulino
12 Ken Maumalo
13 Jonathan Wright
14 Jeff Robson
15 Sam Lisone
16 Blake Ayshford
17 Albert Vete
18 Ata Hingano

Strong team.

Any team with Tuivasa-Scheck, Johnson, Lolohea, Kata, Hurrell & Fusitu'a is going to be fun to watch.

A little surprising that Johnson is going to risk it.

Dragons Nines Squad:

Euan Aitken, 
Jack de Belin, 
Matt Dufty, 
Josh Dugan (c), 
Kalifa Faifai Loa, Jay Gallagher, 
Yaw Kiti Glymin, 
Jacob Host, 
Drew Hutchison, Sebastine Ikahihifo, 
Tim Lafai
, Dunamis Lui
, Kurt Mann
, Jake Marketo
, Josh McCrone
, Mose Masoe, 
Peter Mata’utia, 
Mitch Rein

Dugan To Lead NRL Nines Squad - Dragons

No Benji? That's a little disappointing

Warriors Likely Starters
Tuivasa-Sheck, Kata, Hurrell, Lolohea, Johnson, Matulino, Robson, Vete, Hoffman

With two of the best players in this format, the Warriors are one of the top contenders for the tournament. Tuivasa-Sheck carried the Roosters to the Semi Final last year, while Johnson has produced some of the best individual performances at this level. The additions of talent such as Kata, Lolohea and Matulino among others rounds the side out nicely.

Had Luke been named, they would have been easily been the favourites for this tournament.

Dragons Likely Starters
Dugan, Lafai, Aitken, Mann, Hutchinson, Masoe, Rein, Marketo, de Belin.

Rein and Dugan hold the key for the Dragons. If they manage to step up, the Dragons could surprise plenty of pundits. Otherwise, I can see them struggling in one of the weaker conferences of the tournament. The lack of skill in the front row is of most concern with Ikahihifo and Marketo being the only experienced players with a hint of ball-playing talent and the rest of the side doesn't make up for it. Fans should keep a close eye on Dufty, Hutchinson and Host. All three are exciting young prospects who may feature in the 2016 season.

Cronulla's Squad
Ben Barba
Gerard Beale
Jack Bird
Mitch Brown
Kurt Capewell
Josh Cleeland
Jordan Drew
Sosaia Feki
David Fifita
Chris Heighington
Valentine Holmes
Ricky Leutele
Luke Lewis
Matt McIlwrick
Joseph Paulo
Matt Prior
Sam Tagataese
Chad Townsend

Likely Starters
Holmes, Beale, Bird, Townsend, Heighington, McIlwrick, Prior, Lewis, Paulo

They surprised everybody last year making it all the way to the Grand Final before losing it in a thriller against Souths. A year on, the Sharks still have a lot of the same pieces from last year who should be even better this go around. Considering the strength of Pool PIHA, they should qualify for the finals again where it will come down to the freakish ability of Valentine Holmes and Jack Bird to see if they can go one better. The biggest hurdle for them will be overcoming the loss of Wade Graham who was huge for the Sharks last year. They've found two handy replacements in Lewis and Paulo but it remains to be seen whether they'll offer the same service.

Predicted Finish: Semi Final.

TITANS’ AUCKLAND NINES SQUAD:

Greg Bird

Lachlan Burr

Nathan Davis

Ryan James

Brian Kelly

Greg Leleisiuao

Nene Macdonald

Chris McQueen

David Mead

Daniel Mortimer

Agnatius Paasi

Nathaniel Peteru

Tyrone Roberts

Matt Srama

Ash Taylor

Shannon Walker

Shane Wright

William Zillman

I'll be putting a few on the sharks this year. They are desperate for some silverware.

It's confirmed that Matt Bowen will play at the 9's. Awesome news i loved watching him play.

Wests Tigers
Chris Lawrence, Josh Addo-Carr, Jack Buchanan, Tyler Cassel, Michael Chee-Kam, Manaia Cherrington, Josh Drinkwater, Rod Griffin, Watson Heleta, Justin Hunt, Lamar Liolevave, Jack Littlejohn, Kyle Lovett, Nathan Milone, Kevin Naiqama, Ava Seumanufagai, Tim Simona, Sauaso Sue

Canberra Raiders
1. Jordan Rapana, 2. Kato Ottio, 3. Jarrod Croker, 4. Brenko Lee, 5. Sisa Waqa, 6. Lachlan Croker, 7. Sam Williams, 8. Shannon Boyd, 9. Kurt Baptiste, 10. Paul Vaughan, 11. Jason Croker, 12. Jarrad Kennedy, 13. Luke Bateman, 14. Thomas Cronan, 15. Mitch Barnett, 16. Jack Williams, 17. Zac Santo, 18. Rhys Kennedy

Tigers Likely 9
Simona, Naiqama, Lawrence, Drinkwater, Sue, Cherrington, Griffen, Chee-Kam, Liolevave

The Tigers have opted to rest a lot of their big guns, giving their depth a chance to impress. They have a few exciting players on show in Simona, Cherrington and Chee-Kam but for the most part they look awfully green and to be just making up the numbers.

Raiders Likely 9
Jarrod Croker, Waqa, B. Lee, Williams, Boyd, Baptiste, Vaughan, Jason Croker, Kennedy

It's a solid side from the Raiders. I really liked what I saw of Sisa Waqa last year, the tournament seemed to compliment his athletic prowess on the field. I think they've got a few players who can cause headaches and may even qualify for the finals, but beyond that I find it difficult to envision this side taking it. There's better cores out there and the backline and backrow leaves something to be desired. If they're going to trouble, it will be through Boyd and Vaughan's second phase through the middle. They hold the key for mine and even so, should only take them so far.

Titans Likely 9
Zillman, Mead, McDonald, Roberts, James, Srama, Peteru, Bird, McQueen

That's probably the best 9s squad Henry can put together with exciting young prospects like Taylor, B. Kelly and Leleisiuao among others. I can easily see them making the finals where from there it's anybody's guess. One of the biggest surprises was seeing Shannon Walker's name there. For those who don't recall, Walker was considered the next big whiz kid who absolutely blitzed the 2008 Queensland Cup before disappearing into the ether. The stage is set for a surprise comeback and if he can find his best form, the Titans will surprise a lot of people in Auckland.

Why are the Broncos always the last to name their squad :(

Maybe we're waiting for the Raiders to do us a favour and release Pangai Jr for 2016 :spy:

Edit: Chris Garry said we'll name it either Monday or Tuesday.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brocko
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.