CRICKET Australia v West Indies

If he pulls a strong back end to the season, he might well go past Morris for tests as well.

If he pulls a strong back end to the season, he might well go past Morris for tests as well.
I think it’s probably tough to judge Morris off one dayers, I don’t think he is particularly deserving in this format. His best format is undoubtedly red ball cricket, hope an opportunity in that isn’t off-put by not getting a wicket today. He has only played 7 games of List A with 11 wickets at 28. Not bad but it doesn’t stand out. Compare that to his 74 at 25 in FC. Not saying Bartlett can’t do it but I wouldn’t be judging Morris’ red ball abilities off anything he does in white ball cricket and at this current stage same goes with Bartlett. Bartlett has 62 at 26 from 18 matches so quite similar in output but Morris does have that extra pace. Bartlett has definitely stamped his claim as the better white ball bowler but red ball X has to still come out and prove it after a decent lay off from injury you don’t just get it cause you did well in another format.

I think it’s probably tough to judge Morris off one dayers, I don’t think he is particularly deserving in this format. His best format is undoubtedly red ball cricket, hope an opportunity in that isn’t off-put by not getting a wicket today. He has only played 7 games of List A with 11 wickets at 28. Not bad but it doesn’t stand out. Compare that to his 74 at 25 in FC. Not saying Bartlett can’t do it but I wouldn’t be judging Morris’ red ball abilities off anything he does in white ball cricket and at this current stage same goes with Bartlett. Bartlett has 62 at 26 from 18 matches so quite similar in output but Morris does have that extra pace. Bartlett has definitely stamped his claim as the better white ball bowler but red ball X has to still come out and prove it after a decent lay off from injury you don’t just get it cause you did well in another format.

Of course but I was also aware of both relative FC records when I made the statement. The reality is, they are different types of bowlers. Morris is pace and bangs it in to the pitch but Bartlett is more swing and seam. Bartlett though isn't slow by any means either though. I just haven't been that impressed by Morris in the FC games I've seen and I am also not so sure he is as quick as believed. That said, I am not against giving him opportunities to show what he's got either of course.

Very impressive and destructive 50 to Inglis.

C'mon Green finish not out. He's looked like a leader out there all day.

Of course but I was also aware of both relative FC records when I made the statement. The reality is, they are different types of bowlers. Morris is pace and bangs it in to the pitch but Bartlett is more swing and seam. Bartlett though isn't slow by any means either though. I just haven't been that impressed by Morris in the FC games I've seen and I am also not so sure he is as quick as believed. That said, I am not against giving him opportunities to show what he's got either of course.
Of course but you have to realise Bartlett is going to play 3 games of shield cricket and 1 one day game assuming no shield final will be played. I just don’t see that getting him over the bloke who has been in and around the squad for over 12 months (in that same period Bartlett has barely played) and can bowl a supposed 150 kmph. Xavier would need like another 7 or 8 wickets this series and maybe 18+ shield wickets and Lance be average through the same period for them to look at Bartlett first. He has also just recovered from a stress fracture Aus won’t be in a hurry to give him an increased load straight away when there is definitely options there. Stressies are a cricketers ACL, load management is very important and the most overs he has bowled in a game since is today with 9.

You have struck up this topic of discussion off todays results and I don’t think that’s fair on the bloke who has been selected in an un associated format to the one he has built a reputation in off the back of essentially nothing that suggests he should be here. He’s playing for Australia do the expectation is to perform but I wouldn’t make decisions in another format because of it. If you gave me the option of one in all 3 sure I’d agree but in test cricket I don’t see how you can start this discussion before he has even played a game since his stress fracture, it’s all just hypotheticals until then.

Great 50 to Green. Great to see both him and Inglis make nice contributions.

Of course but you have to realise Bartlett is going to play 3 games of shield cricket and 1 one day game assuming no shield final will be played. I just don’t see that getting him over the bloke who has been in and around the squad for over 12 months (in that same period Bartlett has barely played) and can bowl a supposed 150 kmph. Xavier would need like another 7 or 8 wickets this series and maybe 18+ shield wickets and Lance be average through the same period for them to look at Bartlett first. He has also just recovered from a stress fracture Aus won’t be in a hurry to give him an increased load straight away when there is definitely options there. Stressies are a cricketers ACL, load management is very important and the most overs he has bowled in a game since is today with 9.

You have struck up this topic of discussion off todays results and I don’t think that’s fair on the bloke who has been selected in an un associated format to the one he has built a reputation in off the back of essentially nothing that suggests he should be here. He’s playing for Australia do the expectation is to perform but I wouldn’t make decisions in another format because of it. If you gave me the option of one in all 3 sure I’d agree but in test cricket I don’t see how you can start this discussion before he has even played a game since his stress fracture, it’s all just hypotheticals until then.

Yes today's result has been a springboard to discussion and you are saying I am calling for Bartlett to leapfrog Morris based on today's result. I am not, I said out the outset that I wonder IF HE KEEPS THIS FORM UP whether he might end up usurping him. Bartlett has levelled up since returning from injury and was decent enough before anyway. I suspect both Bartlett and Morris will play plenty of games for Australia moving forward as the reality is, Hazlewood and Starc are getting on and there needs to be some forward planning.

Even so, you also have Johnson who just looks class coming back from injury too and taking his opportunities thus far but still too early in his FC career to be spoken about. Of course, in my opinion, Richardson is the best of the lot but he just may not be cut out for it with all the injuries he gets. You then have Agar who is getting better as he gets older, Sutherland who is, in my opinion, a similar bowler to Cummins but obviously not as good. You then also have Salzmann who just looks amazing coming through and may end up usurping them all but even if he does, and that is no guarantee, that is years away from happening.

Long story short, Australia is not short of legit quality pacemen moving forward.

Fraser-McGurk on debut and opening. Sutherland on debut. Hazlewood back in. Head released for the resto f the limited overs games. Johnson back in for the third ODI.

All good moves by the selectors.

Way to shit on the offside to play consistently at this level just yet in his career. Hope he gets another crack next game.

Aus 3-50. It will be good to see what these green horns in the Aussie team have got in them.

Marnus getting test match practice out here at the moment

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • Foordy
  • KateBroncos1812
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.