Australia vs India - Test Series

Reading that Victoria Cricket won't be considering Maxwell or Finch for shield cricket moving forward with a priority of focusing on young players.

CA must be calling the shots behind the scenes. Either way that pretty much rules out any chance Maxwell (32yo) has of a test recall.

Stupidity. What's the bet that WA won't do the same for Marsh who is 37yo.

It isn't just an age thing it's a playing thing- they haven't played since November 2019 and won't be able to maybe play again until February 2022. Why keep carrying two guys in your squad?

If they played a game in February '22 when they're next free that would be the first in over two years. That's even a big if- they would probably opt for a break at that point and not play then either.

Queensland did the same thing with Lynn, he gave up his squad spot for someone else, doesn't mean you can't play but you're just not in the squad.

It just makes offical what is happening anyway- they don't play Shield cricket. Why would you keep two guys out of your squad that could play 10 games to keep two guys in your squad that are no chance of playing.

Last edited:
It isn't just an age thing it's a playing thing- they haven't played since November 2019 and won't be able to maybe play again until February 2022. Why keep carrying two guys in your squad?

If they played a game in February '22 when they're next free that would be the first in over two years. That's even a big if- they would probably opt for a break at that point and not play then either.

Queensland did the same thing with Lynn, he gave up his squad spot for someone else, doesn't mean you can't play but you're just not in the squad.

It just makes offical what is happening anyway- they don't play Shield cricket. Why would you keep two guys out of your squad that could play 10 games to keep two guys in your squad that are no chance of playing.
Interesting. I hadn't thought about the length of time before they would next play shield cricket.

I suppose Warner, Smith and Starc won't be in the NSW squad either.

Foxsports already planting the seeds for what will be our Ashes team.

As much as I hate to say it, we probably need to lose convincingly to RSA for the remaining passengers to get the axe.

Interesting. I hadn't thought about the length of time before they would next play shield cricket.

I suppose Warner, Smith and Starc won't be in the NSW squad either.

That's up to them but those guys are current test players- Finch and Maxwell aren't. Dropping Smith out of your squad is a bit different to Finch.

But I don't know why they bother naming them in State Squads and pretending they play a part.

View attachment 11151

Foxsports already planting the seeds for what will be our Ashes team.

As much as I hate to say it, we probably need to lose convincingly to RSA for the remaining passengers to get the axe.

There are no hard luck stories in Australian cricket- Lehmann scored 7985 runs for SA/Victoria in Shield before he was picked for Australia.

Hodge- 7537
Hussey- 7282

What current player is in the most runs? Fergurson and Marsh are the only current players in the top 50- Two current players!

Systematic failure and our Test team is paying for it.

They don't exist anymore, people pretending we have depth and guys waiting to slot in are not paying attention to Shield.

Last edited:

You make a good point and I suppose both of their calendars are chock full of T20 tournaments around the globe, so they dont really have a lot of spare time to be playing shield cricket.

Makes sense from that point of view

There are no hard luck stories in Australian cricket- Lehmann scored 7985 runs for SA/Victoria in Shield before he was picked for Australia.

Hodge- 7537
Hussey- 7282

What current player is in the most runs? Fergurson and Marsh are the only current players in the top 50- Two current players!

They don't exist anymore, people pretending we have depth and guys waiting to slot in are not paying attention to Shield.
I flagged it the other day but is there a genuine reason why Kurtis Patterson doesn't get more of a mention?

Not quite 28 and has almost 5,000 shield runs at an avg of 40.

I think it was mentioned that he was injured but appears to be playing again this year (albeit for modest returns).

Has his form dropped off a cliff and potentially struggling to make the shield team or something?

Last edited:

Hodge- 7537
Hussey- 7282

Not quite, I just won't pretend that some of the guys we are picking are good enough. This whole narrative that Paine "deserves to choose when he retires" is complete and utter rubbish - if he's not good enough he should not be playing and he needs to be tapped on the shoulder. Do we not remember what happened when Clarke went to England on his own terms because he wasn't quite ready to retire?.. he got humiliated.

I won't waste my time with Lyon because I know you're a fan but he is another that falls in this category of guys we just keep picking despite obviously being out of form.

Starc has out performed Lyon (figures wise) in the last 5 straight series and we bang on about how poor he's been and axe him. Lyon gets a free pass, why? For the record I think Patto should be in there and Starc should be dropped, as well as Lyon, I'm simply illustrating the inconsistency and the protected status he has.

Head I can somewhat understand because of his age and our obvious lack of middle order batsmen but you can't tell me to pretend there's not another gloveman or spinner out there that wouldn't be worth having a look at.

Not quite, I just won't pretend that some of the guys we are picking are good enough. This whole narrative that Paine "deserves to choose when he retires" is complete and utter rubbish - if he's not good enough he should not be playing and he needs to be tapped on the shoulder. Do we not remember what happened when Clarke went to England on his own terms because he wasn't quite ready to retire?.. he got humiliated.

I won't waste my time with Lyon because I know you're a fan but he is another that falls in this category of guys we just keep picking despite obviously being out of form.

Starc has out performed Lyon (figures wise) in the last 5 straight series and we bang on about how poor he's been and axe him. Lyon gets a free pass, why? For the record I think Patto should be in there and Starc should be dropped, as well as Lyon, I'm simply illustrating the inconsistency and the protected status he has.

Head I can somewhat understand because of his age and our obvious lack of middle order batsmen but you can't tell me to pretend there's not another gloveman or spinner out there that wouldn't be worth having a look at.

That just highlights who is out of form, we know that. The failure is to have guys that are ready, playing and succeeding to take their spot.

So during the next round of three of shield, Australia will have squads in both SA and NZ. How they even going to find 11 guys for shield cricket?

Qld will have all of Labushagne, Swepson, Neser, Khawaja, Wildermuth, Steketee possibly unavailable.

NSW won’t have Smith, Cummins, Starc, Hazlewood, Lyon, Sams, Warner, Henriques, Abbott

Active Now

• Allo
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.