Australian 2016/17 Summer Schedule

You seem to have a decent idea of where we're heading [MENTION=8272]1910[/MENTION], what 11 do you think we're going to field against South Africa in 2 weeks time?

Last edited:
Tuesday is a huge day for plenty of players.

Batting wise:

Last Test: Warner, Marsh, Smith, Voges, Henriques, M.Marsh.

Bancroft playing against South Australia at the WACA in a day night game could be auditioning for the Test spot, while Khawja and Burns will be doing the same against New South Wales at the 'Gabba.

If Marsh is fit he keeps his spot because he did so well last Test in Sri Lanka. But if Marsh is out then Burns and Bancroft need runs next week- they're really batting off against each other.

Bancroft has in his column- it would be a home Test, nice foil for Warner, he's become really slow though. Burns, recently dropped, struggles against spin which they're going to throw at us and not a great fielder.

Khawja- great last summer, home again so no turning tracks, poor fielder- needs to show a lot Tuesday but he would be a front runner for Henriques spot.

For me- Henriques and Marsh are potentially out so it will then come down to the three.

Bowling.

Starc and Hazlewood- are automatic.

Siddle hasn't played for six months so he's going to struggle. Starc will play against Queensland which will get him straight back from injury and if Burns/Khawja can get runs against him particularly if they're runs at night or dusk that will be a big tick.

Perth last summer was dead- so you really need someone that can extract something from it.

Bird got seven against New Zealand in February- so maybe, Pattinson hasn't played since February again a risk but was good in New Zealand- our problem is fitness!

The third bowler is interesting I would go Marsh.

Lyon and Nevill. Make up the rest.

SA have picked an interesting side with two rookie spinners. They have taken note of what Sri Lanka were able to do.

So, assuming Shaun Marsh is out with his usual hamstring trouble, we're probably looking at ~

1. Warner
2. Burns / Bancroft
3. Khawaja
4. Smith (c)
5. Voges
6. M.Marsh
7. Nevill
8. Starc
9. Siddle / Bird
10. Hazlewood
11. Lyon

I know its not gonna happen but i haven't really heard anything about a possible inclusion of Michael Klinger, from the games that I have seen throughout this matador he has been preforming pretty well

his last 5 innings have been 46, 29, 87, 37, 37 at an average of 47.2 which obviously isn't amazing but he is consistently making runs and i believe if given a go he wouldn't let his country down.

if to make the side though i believe it could only be through the decision to not play an alrounder but have another batsman

I know its not gonna happen but i haven't really heard anything about a possible inclusion of Michael Klinger, from the games that I have seen throughout this matador he has been preforming pretty well

his last 5 innings have been 46, 29, 87, 37, 37 at an average of 47.2 which obviously isn't amazing but he is consistently making runs and i believe if given a go he wouldn't let his country down.

if to make the side though i believe it could only be through the decision to not play an alrounder but have another batsman

If you're going to pick a 36 year old to debut he has to have scored 1200 runs last Shield season not 617. Which top order bat are you dropping?

If you're going to pick a 36 year old to debut he has to have scored 1200 runs last Shield season not 617. Which top order bat are you dropping?

If you read what i actually said you would have seen that i said the only way i recon he could make the side would be if the Australian selectors wanted to have 6 batters and not an alrounder.

Hope Pat Cummins is getting looked at. Been really good in the matador cup.

He certainly has. It's been interesting listening to McGrath comment on his action. He reckons that he has stopped some over rotation and should help him avoid the injuries he's had through his career. I still reckon he needs to play some first class cricket before walking straight back into the side. Not because of talent obviously, but just so he and everyone else can gain confidence that his body really has turned the corner.

One day form can't have any bearing on a Test.

He played against New Zealand in February and bowled really well in his last Test but then had the same injury again and is just coming back now.

If he played Tuesday and played really well he'd be in the mix.

If you read what i actually said you would have seen that i said the only way i recon he could make the side would be if the Australian selectors wanted to have 6 batters and not an alrounder.

I read it, but if you go in with three bowlers on a Perth deck that produced 1672 runs last summer- two 200's and and 6 100's you might be chasing very hard and effect the whole series when everyone is cooked.

What would an extra bat achieve?

One day form can't have any bearing on a Test.

He played against New Zealand in February and bowled really well in his last Test but then had the same injury again and is just coming back now.

If he played Tuesday and played really well he'd be in the mix.

I was referring him to the one day team not test team. That would be far to early.

Well after day 1.

S, Marsh 73- caught by a screamer by Head.
Bancroft 20
Voges 14*
Smith 117
Warner 12
Burns 21*
Khawaja 18*

So Marsh is fit and made a score, he'll be picked 100%, I think the line-up is pretty much set in stone now, the only question mark is the 3rd quick.

1. Warner
2. S.Marsh
3. Khawaja
4. Smith (c)
5. Voges
6. M.Marsh
7. Nevill
8. Starc
9. Siddle / Cummins / Bird
10. Hazlewood
11. Lyon

I swear Victorians live on their own planet. Siddle takes 1/18 and he has sewn up his spot as the first pace bowler picked according to 9 news down here. So yeah, let's just forget Starc and Hazelwood. Let's also just disregard that his direct competition for the spot in the SAME game took 3 in the same innings and three more since. Granted, Siddle has only just started his second innings and I'm not against his selection necessarily but to say he is a lock for pace attack leader is just mind-numbing from a 'professional' news network.

Joe Mennie will be the 4th quick named apparently

He took 3/120 across 2 innings and got blown away in SA just recently. His record is ok but has done what exactly to leap frog Siddle/Bird and even Sayers (who has been quite a bit more impressive in the SAME game)?

Last edited:

Active Now

• Santa
  • Skathen
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • Jazza
  • sooticus
  • Browny
  • broncos4life
  • Strop
  • Broncosgirl
  • johnny plath
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.