Australian 2016/17 Summer Schedule

Don't even try to understand what the selectors are thinking. If you do you will end up in a mental home.

Siddle is done outside of the subcontinent (where we need a holding sort of bowler) imo, unbelievable that he's been picked. Lyon ain't as good as he's hyped up to be (Sok is objectively better), and Mitch Marsh is the definition of a walking wicket. I just hope Starc and our top five are on top of their games.

Last edited:
Lyon not as good as he is hyped up?

He has been our most successful spinner since Warne and has a better bowling average at test level than O'Keefe

Siddle is done outside of the subcontinent (where we need a holding sort of bowler) imo, unbelievable that he's been picked. Lyon ain't as good as he's hyped up to be (Sok is objectively better), and Mitch Marsh is the definition of a walking wicket. I just hope Starc and our top five are on top of their games.

O'Keefe is injured.

No point taking it out on Siddle: he's picked because no one is standing up to take his spot. What quick around the country deserves a Test spot?

We keep waiting for Cummins or NCN to be able to fill a void but they can't do it.

Lyon is a great player, should be in our 11 even if it's a fast track.

Lyon is the best spinner in the country- easily.

I read Pattinson is fit but won't be playing FC this season, why?

O'Keefe is injured.

No point taking it out on Siddle: he's picked because no one is standing up to take his spot. What quick around the country deserves a Test spot?

We keep waiting for Cummins or NCN to be able to fill a void but they can't do it.

I don't disagree but it is hard to say Bird didn't take his opportunity when last picked in NZ. He then got MORE wickets than Mennie in this very shield round and from what I've seen, has looked quite impressive as always. What more did he need to do?

I swear Victorians live on their own planet. Siddle takes 1/18 and he has sewn up his spot as the first pace bowler picked according to 9 news down here. So yeah, let's just forget Starc and Hazelwood. Let's also just disregard that his direct competition for the spot in the SAME game took 3 in the same innings and three more since. Granted, Siddle has only just started his second innings and I'm not against his selection necessarily but to say he is a lock for pace attack leader is just mind-numbing from a 'professional' news network.

Not related to the team for the test but that reminds me of this guy I spoke with at the Gabba during a shield game who said that Jimmy Maher should've been the test opener because of some big scores he made for the Bulls.

Yeah right ahead of Taylor, Slater, Elliot, Langer, Hayden, Hussey etc

Not related to the team for the test but that reminds me of this guy I spoke with at the Gabba during a shield game who said that Jimmy Maher should've been the test opener because of some big scores he made for the Bulls.

Yeah right ahead of Taylor, Slater, Elliot, Langer, Hayden, Hussey etc

Slater's Test career ended in 2001- same year Maher scored 1142 runs in the Shield. So he could have easily replaced him.
Elliot played 17 Tests across 8 years why would you pick him?
Langer and Hayden came together in 2001 on the Ashes trip for the last Test- again either one could have been replaced Langer had played eight Tests in six year and Hayden average 21 after seven Tests.
Hussey only opened in his first Test so wasn't even in Maher's position.

Taylor was captain so he wasn't going anywhere.

Other than Taylor any one of those could have gone without and they picked Maher around that 2000/2001 period when he was the form SS batsman and Queensland had won three Shields in a row.

They didn't and obviously with all of those bar Elliot it worked out very well.

That's the roll of the dice.

Slater's Test career ended in 2001- same year Maher scored 1142 runs in the Shield. So he could have easily replaced him.
Elliot played 17 Tests across 8 years why would you pick him?
Langer and Hayden came together in 2001 on the Ashes trip for the last Test- again either one could have been replaced Langer had played eight Tests in six year and Hayden average 21 after seven Tests.
Hussey only opened in his first Test so wasn't even in Maher's position.

Taylor was captain so he wasn't going anywhere.

Other than Taylor any one of those could have gone without and they picked Maher around that 2000/2001 period when he was the form SS batsman and Queensland had won three Shields in a row.

They didn't and obviously with all of those bar Elliot it worked out very well.

That's the roll of the dice.

Agree.

There was an opportunity to go With Maher around that 2000/2001 period when he was in great form, but Langer & Hayden got the inside running and ended up being close to our best ever opening partnership of all time. Unfortunately for Maher & Law they were performing at time when it was harder to get out of the team than it was into it. Love managed to make his way in due to some injuries in the middle order, but eventually was disgarded as he was't considered a 'team' player after blowing up on a tour of the West Indies when Ponting was injured and they decided to play Bichel @ 7 and move everyone else one spot up the order. I think he played one more test against Bangladesh where he made a 100* but wasn't seriously considered after that.

Let's just reflect on how awesome our batting order was back in the 2000s (which if they were all playing for NSW could have been the Australian top 5):

Hayden
Maher
Love
Law
Symonds
Perren

I wonder if we'll see something like this for India:

1. Warner
2. Khawaja
3. Smith
4. Handscomb
5. Head
6. Wade
7. Agar
8. Starc
9. SOK
10. Hazlewood
11. Lyon

Active Now

• bert_lifts
  • Broncorob
  • matthewransom34@ic
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.