RUMOUR Axed captain Darius Boyd set to cop another demotion at Brisbane Broncos

berrigan

berrigan

NYC Player
Dec 12, 2019
First he lost the Brisbane Broncos captaincy - now the mail is that Darius Boyd is to be shunted out to the wing in a further blow to the former Test star in 2020.
Broncos coach Anthony Seibold has an embarrassment of riches in the backline, with a host of contenders for the key fullback, centre and five-eighth spots.
In the club's season from hell last year, Boyd struggled at both fullback and pivot and lost the captaincy as a result.
But it now seems the Broncos will play the enigmatic Anthony Milford in his preferred spot of fullback and Kotoni Staggs and Jack Bird, back from injury, in the centres. Jamayne Isaako is also in the mix.
New buy Brodie Croft is likely to partner Tom Dearden in the halves, leaving wing as the only spot left for Boyd.

https%3A%2F%2Fprod.static9.net.au%2Ffs%2F1ec8431b-cce8-407f-a9f2-78dfec98b6da
Brisbane Broncos veteran Darius Boyd. (Getty)

When was the announcement that Boyd has lost the captaincy?

I'm disappointed that Boyd is playing this season, but I suppose he would be out of the way , as much as possible on the wing, though I don't see him as a 'finisher' (he can't catch and he's too scared to put his body on the line to score tough tries).

... but the bigger surprise to me is Milford playing fullback instead of 6... I was excited to see him involved in the middle with Croft..
[automerge]1577184607[/automerge]
When was the announcement that Boyd has lost the captaincy?
I don't know if it was officially announced, but there has been enough innuendo, and comment from the club to suggest it's a given ? Though this article does seem to be speculation only, to be fair

Last edited:
I'm disappointed that Boyd is playing this season, but I suppose he would be out of the way , as much as possible on the wing, though I don't see him as a 'finisher' (he can't catch and he's too scared to put his body on the line to score tough tries).

... but the bigger surprise to me is Milford playing fullback instead of 6... I was excited to see him involved in the middle with Croft..
[automerge]1577184607[/automerge]

I don't know if it was officially announced, but there has been enough innuendo, and comment from the club to suggest it's a given ? Though this article does seem to be speculation only, to be fair

Boyd isnt a finisher ? :whatevs: Must have missed all his origin tries then.

Last edited:
Boyd isnt a finisher ? :whatevs: Must have missed all his origin tries then.
Do you really think he's moving as well now, as he was when he scored those 'given' tries at Origin level. They won't be fed to him from Inglis at the Broncos this year :s

This is complete bullshit if this the situation that leaves either Issako or Oates out of the starting 13 and that definitely won't happen.

Do you really think he's moving as well now, as he was when he scored those 'given' tries at Origin level. They won't be fed to him from Inglis at the Broncos this year :s

Yep, in terms of him on the wing i think he would be moving just as well as he did in Origin. You wouldnt see a great deal of difference from when he was outside of GI. He didnt have to jump and catch the ball to score tries from bombs, and he is always pretty safe under the high ball in terms of them kicking to him. Will just be interesting to see if he can actually compete in the air for balls defensively though, thats my big doubt with him on the wing.

And they werent "given tries " either, he had to be in the right position in the first place to be able to score them.
[automerge]1577186410[/automerge]
This is complete bullshit if this the situation that leaves either Issako or Oates out of the starting 13 and that definitely won't happen.

Milford wont be fullback. Its a article from the mole.

Last edited:
It's the Mole. Would you get your news from New Idea?

Yep, in terms of him on the wing i think he would be moving just as well as he did in Origin. You wouldnt see a great deal of difference from when he was outside of GI. He didnt have to jump and catch the ball to score tries from bombs, and he is always pretty safe under the high ball in terms of them kicking to him. Will just be interesting to see if he can actually compete in the air for balls defensively though, thats my big doubt with him on the wing.

And they werent "given tries " either, he had to be in the right position in the first place to be able to score them.
[automerge]1577186410[/automerge]

Milford wont be fullback. Its a article from the mole.
Ok, fair, he scored some good tries in origin, not all a given maybe. Though, In all fairness though, do you think, after watching him last year (or 2) , that he will be able to tackle, or keep up with or defend any other opposing teams wingers? Let alone get around or past them?

Ok, fair, he scored some good tries in origin, not all a given maybe. Though, In all fairness though, do you think, after watching him last year (or 2) , that he will be able to tackle, or keep up with or defend any other opposing teams wingers? Let alone get around or past them?

None of the above if Bird isn't firing on all cylinders to get him plenty of ball in open space. Defensively up against those tall wingers who he is no longer allowed to tackle until their feet are back on the ground, he's gonna get steamrolled. If you guys thought Isaako on the wing in defense was agony to watch, prepare yourselves.....

I think he will, because generally, most players coming at you on the wing are straight at you. Boyds big issue for me is his lateral movement, its none existant these days. In terms of speed, i dont think Boyd is slow, but he isn't fast either. My only really concern with him on the wing is as i said before, its his ability to jump and compete aerial attacks.

If they give him a shot on the wing, and he isnt performing after 3 or 4 games i hope they drop him, same goes for everyone really. Give them all accountability to perform.

I think he will, because generally, most players coming at you on the wing are straight at you. Boyds big issue for me is his lateral movement, its none existant these days. In terms of speed, i dont think Boyd is slow, but he isn't fast either. My only really concern with him on the wing is as i said before, its his ability to jump and compete aerial attacks.

If they give him a shot on the wing, and he isnt performing after 3 or 4 games i hope they drop him, same goes for everyone really. Give them all accountability to perform.
If somebody is outperforming him at training, I would hope that the Coach would put that person first.
It is a professional sport, and they already fudged around last year with him at positions he didn't do well at.
If he is performing at wing, then that'd be great ... but if it's a loyalty thing , just to have him in a spot?... then that is BS, because he's left for 2 other clubs in the past.
I doubt he's better than youngsters coming through , in that position, but would be happy to be incorrect.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Fozz
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • KateBroncos1812
  • jd87
  • Dash
  • MrTickyMcG
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Brocko
  • Broncosgirl
  • Culhwch
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • Harry Sack
  • TimWhatley
  • Stix
  • Johnny92
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.