NEWS Badel: Boyd never considered quitting

Delusional. I don’t know how anyone of sound mind can be happy with their performances like he seems to be.

Self-belief and ‘blocking out da haterz’ is a legitimate way to cope with a bad run of form, but when it’s almost-universal, you should be aware and be open to at least the constructive part of the criticisms. Sheltering himself (and the club doing so too) will do more harm than good.

I don’t expect him to turn around and retire, but to at least be self-aware to concede you may not be as good as you think you are is a start. Because every time he has a clanger, then says in the media that he’s happy and doesn’t think he’s playing badly just infuriates everyone even more and it becomes a vicious cycle.

Last edited:
Delusional. I don’t know how anyone of sound mind can be happy with their performances like he seems to be.

Self-belief and ‘blocking out da haterz’ is a legitimate way to cope with a bad run of form, but when it’s almost-universal, you should be aware and be open to at least the constructive part of the criticisms. Sheltering himself (and the club doing so too) will do more harm than good.

I don’t expect him to turn around and retire, but to at least be self-aware to concede you may not be as good as you think you are is a start. Because every time he has a clanger, then says in the media that he’s happy and doesn’t think he’s playing badly just infuriates everyone even more and it becomes a vicious cycle.
At this point it doesn't matter and he knows it. He has said the same things in the last 7 interviews since 58-0. He doesn't believe it at all and at this stage all he is doing is running a computer program in his head. When it comes to media releases he is a habitual liar.

I admire Boyd, I admire his resolute determination to live life the way he sees fit. I admire his strength and his singleminded focus. I admire how he doesn't even lower himself to listen to the criticism from the likes of you and I. If more of us had his powers the world would be a better place.

I didn't say he played well last year. I didn't say I admire him for bad form. I know were I him I'd think I'd do the same thing. Gut it out for the next 12 months, do my best and get the cash. I'd also say, **** you all.

The simple answer is, it should be taken out of his hands. If he is not coping and having shockers like this year, the coaching staff have to show some balls and drop him.

If they don't, we will know that Seibold is either incredibly stupid or he isn't even in control of his own squad. After the recruitment we've been doing recently, I doubt that is the case.

If I were Seibold, I would play him on the wing for a few games just to demonstrate to everyone that he's definitely past it then drop him for good. No chance Pies and the club allow him to play 15 games.

I admire Boyd, I admire his resolute determination to live life the way he sees fit. I admire his strength and his singleminded focus. I admire how he doesn't even lower himself to listen to the criticism from the likes of you and I. If more of us had his powers the world would be a better place.

I didn't say he played well last year. I didn't say I admire him for bad form. I know were I him I'd think I'd do the same thing. Gut it out for the next 12 months, do my best and get the cash. I'd also say, **** you all.
Sorry mate, I have to respectfully disagree. If more of us had boyd's powers (i.e. i would label it more as a lack of insight), there would be greater acceptance mediocrity in the world (more so than there currently is), and the world would go to shit much faster than its current trajectory.

Personally, i dont blame him taking the cash, as you have stated, most would. He may be trying his best but falling (often literally) short, in which case, the coach needs to do what a coach is meant to do and send him back to Q Cup to play with those of equal skill.

Last edited:
thanks for the summary but could have done without the multiple references to the coaches weight

the fascination that you, and others, have on here with fat shaming is nothing short of disgraceful

I get what you're trying to say and I mostly agree with it. I think to an extent that continuing to shut out the negativity and just keep trying to give your best each week is something to be applauded and commended on.

I would point out though that there is a fine line between putting your head down and pushing on with your best efforts through adversity, and not being self-aware enough to realise that your best efforts are probably not good enough and you're letting your team mates down. For leaders, truly good leaders, the burden of needing to recognise and respond to this is even greater.

I admire his continued efforts and his resolution, don't get me wrong, but I do think that in a team environment you need to be self aware about your own contributions and how that affects the guys beside you, and in this instance I'm not sure Boyd, especially so as a leader, is honestly doing that.

Last edited:
I get what you're trying to say and I mostly agree with it. I think to an extent that continuing to shut out the negativity and just keep trying to give your best each week is something to be applauded and commended on.

I would point out though that there is a fine line between putting your head down and pushing on with your best efforts through adversity, and not being self-aware enough to realise that your best efforts are probably not good enough and you're letting your team mates down. For leaders, truly good leaders, the burden of needing to recognise and respond to this is even greater.

I admire his continued efforts and his resolution, don't get me wrong, but I do think that in a team environment you need to be self aware about your own contributions and how that affects the guys beside you, and in this instance I'm not sure Boyd, especially so as a leader, is honestly doing that.
It's a fair enough point you make, but that's where it comes down to the coach. If Boyd isn't doing what needs to be done then it's incumbent on Pies to make him aware of that. Last year he spoke about Boyd meeting all the key metrics or kpis or stats, which makes it sound like Boyd isn't being given the feedback he needs. Obviously private conversations may well differ from what's said in front of the media but there's no indication that anyone inside the club is telling Darius, in somewhat more polite terms, the things being said in here.

It's a fair enough point you make, but that's where it comes down to the coach. If Boyd isn't doing what needs to be done then it's incumbent on Pies to make him aware of that. Last year he spoke about Boyd meeting all the key metrics or kpis or stats, which makes it sound like Boyd isn't being given the feedback he needs. Obviously private conversations may well differ from what's said in front of the media but there's no indication that anyone inside the club is telling Darius, in somewhat more polite terms, the things being said in here.
Honestly I'd completely disregard what is said to the media. You don't put your Captain's failed performance numbers in the public domain. That's a private conversation behind closed doors in any well run organisation. I'd honestly be more annoyed in Seibold splashing that sort of stuff over the Courier Mail just to make the journos happy.

I'm not saying the Coach doesn't have a responsibility to move people on either. He absolutely does. Shifting him from Fullback and now out of the spine was the first indication that it's probably taking place as we speak.

I'm only saying that I agree Boyd deserves credit, if for nothing else, at least for his resolve and continued willingness to put in the work despite all the doubt around him. There is actually a good lesson in there for our younger guys in that. Where I think he's failing as a team mate and a leader though is it's probably reached the point where he needs to be realistic with himself and be a bit more self aware about how his actions and the results he's getting may be impacting those around him. Great leaders know how to put their head down and keep working when you're under attack and to push through all that, but in the same sense, they also should know when their own contribution isn't good enough and isn't likely to be turned around enough to not negatively impact their team mates.

Last edited:
thanks for the summary but could have done without the multiple references to the coaches weight

the fascination that you, and others, have on here with fat shaming is nothing short of disgraceful
Is it fat shaming if we are doing it jokingly behind his back and not directly at him ?
Sorry should I be calling seibold him ? I'm not sure these days...

Great summary McHunt, but you missed one pearler “I just want what is best for the Broncos,”

His complete inability to understand the tone-deafness of that comment is in line with is inability to stop an attacking player running at him.

**** me Boyds train is becoming a circus.

At some point he should shut up and perform or ship out. You're only as good as your last innings, his last 20 odd have been horrible.

It sad now, I really couldn’t care less what Boyd has to say anymore, what is of interest to me is the minimum 1st grade games clause that is supposedly in his contract and whether it’s a real clause.

This clause (if it truly exists) is the only way we’ll see him gone. Again, if true, then there is absolutely NO WAY he see’s out his full contract. Needs to be playing qcup from round 1!

Thanks, a thoughtful reply. Two points from it. Firstly he may feel very aware of how his efforts affect others and secondly the only feedback he is receiving is from the coach, coaching staff and his team mates. I'm not going to assume they're all telling him he's going shit rather I'd infer they are happy enough with him.

I didn't say I was here and we certainly know the feelings of a lot on here and in the public arena. I think Boyd knows he had an ordinary season and I suspect he is giving himself one final chance. If he finds he is past it he may even retire mid season. I don't believe Boyd is unaware and delusional, in fact he knows exactly where he stands.

One final thought. Is it possible that Boyd is acutely aware the end is nigh and is deep down terrified of what the future holds when this huge part of his life is gone forever? Given his mental health demons and observations of others such as Finch etc he might want to delay that fight. Some people sadly identify their self worth with what they do.

Active Now

• john1420
  • Culhwch
  • Lozza
  • Sproj
  • broncos4life
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Aldo
  • theshed
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Manifesto
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.