NEWS Badel: Boyd never considered quitting

Honestly hes cooked. Most of us have been around football long enough. We know unicorns don't exist, we know UFO's don't exist so why the hell are we thinking there will be a dramatic change in form? Its gone - cooked, done, roasted, over, finito, finale, Uber, faealah, yatta....adios amigo. Trials will prove this and the right decisions will be made.
Yep ... bring on the trials. Let's just hope Boyd is forced to play for his position and he just doesn't get the saloon passage.

He should be put in the trial against Wynnum - and when he gets toweled-up by reserve graders perhaps the light will come on.

Given the contradiction above; does 2019 form count for anything or not?

More importantly, what constitutes enough opportunity for one of the young blokes to “actually perform and take their chance”?

It’s grossly unfair to think someone like Coates or Herbie are going to make themselves irreplaceable after 2 games whilst giving Boyd 30 odd rounds of chances and still coming up with donuts.

I’d wager if one of the young blokes got a solid string of a dozen or so games, they might actually prove themselves far more valuable to the team than a busted, non-performing Boyd.

After all, Boyd scored 11 tries across the last 3 seasons whilst Tedesco, for instance, scored 18 in 2019. Given that, it seems unlikely Boyd is going to miraculously become a try scoring weapon.

He has also never been a metre eater. So at almost 33 and with dodgy hamstrings and achilles, what else is he going to offer that one of the young blokes isn’t just as capable of offering?

No contradiction whatsoever. 2019 form means nothing at all in terms of selection for 2020. How can it? That doesnt mean you have to forget it, but its got no bearing on players getting picked in 2020. You judge what they are doing at that moment in time, so like it or not, its a wait and see proposition at the moment. The 2019 form can only be used really by our coach as a tool to say " perform as poorly as you did last year, and you wont be in my plans " The trial form will decide what happens imo.

And where has anything ever been said Coates or Herbie have just 2 games to prove themselves? I certainly havent. At the same time though, they didnt make enough of an impression to demand selection. Thats really what we need them to do. Any player that gets picked for round 1 probably needs 4 or 5 games minimum to get a good idea of what they can do. If you have an issue with a non performing Boyd, thats an issue you need to take up with the coach. He picks the team after all.

And for somebody apparently not scapegoating Boyd, you bring it back to him a lot. Why not have the argument about Macca, or Issako, who was comfortably as poor as Boyd was. Oates wasnt great either. TPJ let us down badly with his poor discipline. The coach was poor as well. Boyd not performing was just one of many issues we had. Our failures shouldnt just be pinned on him because people are down on him. The test, going forward, is do we have a coach strong enough to make the big calls and reward players who deserve to be in the team.

For what its worth, Boyd, Macca and Issako wouldnt be in my side for round 1 based on my current opinions of them, but i'd rather wait and see what they bring in the trial games before i write them off.

Last edited:
Honestly hes cooked. Most of us have been around football long enough. We know unicorns don't exist, we know UFO's don't exist so why the hell are we thinking there will be a dramatic change in form? Its gone - cooked, done, roasted, over, finito, finale, Uber, faealah, yatta....adios amigo. Trials will prove this and the right decisions will be made.

I think he is done, i've said as much plenty of times. The trials will probably confirm what most of us think, but i think its reasonable to let him have a shot in them. But my whole argument isnt about if Boyd should play or Boyd shouldnt play, its about picking the players who perform. I want players who earn the shirt to be in the team, and i'm not stressed if that Macca over Turpin, or Coates over Boyd, i just want players to be rewarded for their performances.

Last edited:
I think he is done, i've said as much plenty of times. The trials will probably confirm what most of us think, but i think its reasonable to let him have a shot in them. But my whole argument isnt about if Boyd should play or Boyd shouldnt play, its about picking the players who perform. I want players who earn the shirt to be in the team, and i'm not stressed if that Macca over Turpin, or Coates over Boyd, i just want players to be rewarded for their performances.

Exactly this. Earning them initially, and then showing that they have the hunger and respect for that jersey to keep proving they deserve it.

I think as fans that's all we want to see, as well as improvement.

I agree that players should only ever be picked on form. I also agree that the trials will be a good place to choose our best 17. I do also think that Boyd's form slump is not as much down to his body as it is to his mind. If he's training the house down and "faster than ever", yet gets on the field and just doesn't look like he's trying too hard, to me it points to his mind not allowing his body to commit. This is a common psychological problem with sports people returning from serious injuries. Add to that a player towards the end of their career with contract options, possible a mortgage or other financial commitments, a new family and a clearly influential wife (we all know wife's care more about money and having fun then what the other lads think or whether we are letting down the team), and you end up with a player who's subconsciously afraid to injure themselves. He probably wants to commit his body but mentally just can't. His only chance at a form reboot in my opinion, is to realise it's his final year of professional rugby league and that he will still get paid for the year if he injures himself. If he doesn't get injured and plays like 2015 Boyd the he might even get another year of big coin coming in. The gamble is an obvious one. Hopefully his subconscious will figure that out.

No contradiction whatsoever. 2019 form means nothing at all in terms of selection for 2020. How can it? That doesnt mean you have to forget it, but its got no bearing on players getting picked in 2020. You judge what they are doing at that moment in time, so like it or not, its a wait and see proposition at the moment. The 2019 form can only be used really by our coach as a tool to say " perform as poorly as you did last year, and you wont be in my plans " The trial form will decide what happens imo.

And where has anything ever been said Coates or Herbie have just 2 games to prove themselves? I certainly havent. At the same time though, they didnt make enough of an impression to demand selection. Thats really what we need them to do. Any player that gets picked for round 1 probably needs 4 or 5 games minimum to get a good idea of what they can do. If you have an issue with a non performing Boyd, thats an issue you need to take up with the coach. He picks the team after all.

And for somebody apparently not scapegoating Boyd, you bring it back to him a lot. Why not have the argument about Macca, or Issako, who was comfortably as poor as Boyd was. Oates wasnt great either. TPJ let us down badly with his poor discipline. The coach was poor as well. Boyd not performing was just one of many issues we had. Our failures shouldnt just be pinned on him because people are down on him. The test, going forward, is do we have a coach strong enough to make the big calls and reward players who deserve to be in the team.

For what its worth, Boyd, Macca and Issako wouldnt be in my side for round 1 based on my current opinions of them, but i'd rather wait and see what they bring in the trial games before i write them off.
In Boyd’s case, how can’t 2019 form be considered? It’s a far better indication of where he is than a couple of trial games playing 20min quarters against QRL teams.

In 2019 Coates and Herbie got a couple of games to prove themselves, whilst Boyd had the entire season. So my point is, how can they be expected to shine when they’ve got 160mins to prove it against about 2,000mins.

It’s an example. But what everyone knows is that Boyd is done, he’s had more than enough chances to prove if he’s still got it and now it’s time to give someone else that same latitude to prove what they’ve got.

If you’re looking for a good example of giving a young bloke a chance because they’re ready over someone based purely on reputation; Motu Tony and Karmichael Hunt is a good one. Only difference is, Tony came to the Broncos with recent good form.

So the point is, why pick Boyd? Even if he looks half decent at training or in the trails, why waste the time and opportunity to give someone else a chance, because recent Boyd history shows you what to expect. Players of such ages, with busted bodies and on such declines do not suddenly start doing things they haven’t done for the last 18 months.

Indeed, Boyd has never been the type of winger that we’ve become accustomed to seeing over the last few years. So in his case, it is a waste of time putting him there and it’s a waste of an opportunity to give someone else a go.

That’s not scapegoating, that’s a reality that only applies to Boyd when you talk about the Broncos. Macca has one foot in that same boat but from all reports it seems pretty apparent that Turpin will be displacing him, whilst Isaako just finished his second season so to expect the same from him as 10 year plus veterans is ridiculous. As for Oates; by his standards he absolutely had a terrible second half of the season, but has otherwise performed pretty consistently over the last 5 or so seasons. So with him it’s really a case of not throwing the baby out with the bath water.

As for the coach; I am sick of this rubbish about it being all on him. Why is Boyd exempt from recognising his own poor form? This rubbish of picking him when he’s past it has been going on far longer than Seibold has been at the helm, but still it’s OK for Boyd to hang around like a bad case of the crabs. It’s mind boggling.

I can’t think of any other player that has been given excuse after excuse after excuse whilst punters find other people to point the finger at. It’s worse than Farah trying to hold Souths to ransom. Interestingly though, the bloke who axed numerous players at the Broncos this season is the same bloke that axed Farah at Souths.

So like you said in an earlier post, perhaps Boyd should show some ‘substance’ and take the decision out of his coaches hands? I notice that suggestion hasn’t been made though. Why?

Finally, no one at the Broncos was as bad as Boyd in season 2019. No exceptions. Other players had their moments, but across the entire 2019 season, no one can be accused of being as consistently awful as Boyd. If you think otherwise, well you’ve got rose coloured Boyd glasses on.

Last edited:
In Boyd’s case, how can’t 2019 form be considered? It’s a far better indication of where he is than a couple of trial games playing 20min quarters against QRL teams.

In 2019 Coates and Herbie got a couple of games to prove themselves, whilst Boyd had the entire season. So my point is, how can they be expected to shine when they’ve got 160mins to prove it against about 2,000mins.

It’s an example. But what everyone knows is that Boyd is done, he’s had more than enough chances to prove if he’s still got it and now it’s time to give someone else that same latitude to prove what they’ve got.

If you’re looking for a good example of giving a young bloke a chance because they’re ready over someone based purely on reputation; Motu Tony and Karmichael Hunt is a good one. Only difference is, Tony came to the Broncos with recent good form.

So the point is, why pick Boyd? Even if he looks half decent at training or in the trails, why waste the time and opportunity to give someone else a chance, because recent Boyd history shows you what to expect. Players of such ages, with busted bodies and on such declines do not suddenly start doing things they haven’t done for the last 18 months.

Indeed, Boyd has never been the type of winger that we’ve become accustomed to seeing over the last few years. So in his case, it is a waste of time putting him there and it’s a waste of an opportunity to give someone else a go.

That’s not scapegoating, that’s a reality that only applies to Boyd when you talk about the Broncos. Macca has one foot in that same boat but from all reports it seems pretty apparent that Turpin will be displacing him, whilst Isaako just finished his second season so to expect the same from him as 10 year plus veterans is ridiculous. As for Oates; by his standards he absolutely had a terrible second half of the season, but has otherwise performed pretty consistently over the last 5 or so seasons. So with him it’s really a case of not throwing the baby out with the bath water.

As for the coach; I am sick of this rubbish about it being all on him. Why is Boyd exempt from recognising his own poor form? This rubbish of picking him when he’s past it has been going on far longer than Seibold has been at the helm, but still it’s OK for Boyd to hang around like a bad case of the crabs. It’s mind boggling.

I can’t think of any other player that has been given excuse after excuse after excuse whilst punters find other people to point the finger at. It’s worse than Farah trying to hold Souths to ransom. Interestingly though, the bloke who axed numerous players at the Broncos this season is the same bloke that axed Farah at Souths.

So like you said in an earlier post, perhaps Boyd should show some ‘substance’ and take the decision out of his coaches hands? I notice that suggestion hasn’t been made though. Why?

Finally, no one at the Broncos was as bad as Boyd in season 2019. No exceptions. Other players had their moments, but across the entire 2019 season, no one can be accused of being as consistently awful as Boyd. If you think otherwise, well you’ve got rose coloured Boyd glasses on.

**** man when's the book coming out?

**** man when's the book coming out?
I’m writing Boyd’s tell-all memoirs titled ‘know when to hold them, but have absolutely no fucking idea when to walk away’. It is to be released soon after he retires.

Naturally, it was first due to be released at the end of 2017, but it keeps getting pushed back.

I’m writing Boyd’s tell-all memoirs titled ‘know when to hold them, but have absolutely no fucking idea when to walk away’. It is to be released soon after he retires.

Naturally, it was first due to be released at the end of 2017, but it keeps getting pushed back.

lol

Forward by Wayne.

In all seriousness, everything there is left to be said about the situation has been said.

This whole mantra of "we cannot judge a player on what they've done as every year is a fresh start" is complete bullshit.

You don't pay the guy week to week a salary based on how well he played last week... Every game in your career matters and is marked against you for the life your career. Otherwise why sign players to big contracts or lure guys away for overs..

Everything a player does, every game, matters - always.

If you want to argue that all players are signed on potential and potential alone then you could never monetize their value. Everything has to be filtered through a calculative risk matrix.

You sign a guy to big money because he's proven himself to be something at some point in time whether that be in proven first grade or shown great signs in early development years to warrant locking down as a rookie (ponga or Haas). You are still signing them of what they've proven they can do.

So when accounting for the fact that contracts are established based on probability of "what they can achieve on field", we have to take the same in regards to selections. You have to always judge a player on what they've done and shown through their ability and virtues.

I'd say based on Boyd's previous form, loss of ability and compete lack of effort in games, he is at extremely high risk of causing future erosion to any fortified culture the coach gains in this here preseason. Having him anywhere near the best fit 17 is an assault on the club and the career trajectories of our young up and comers. He's an influence. And not a good one
Of course that's just your opinion and it's an emotional opinion at that. When you make statements like " complete lack of effort in games " it demonstrates that you cannot be impartial and have a bias. Naturally you're entitled to it but it's colouring everything. You're making illogical leaps even though to you they seem reasonable.

Last edited:

Melbourne do it, Roosters do it...any other elite sporting team in the world does it. Trials, perform or out. Simple. Fair chance on fair grounds like you say.
[automerge]1577873752[/automerge]
Of course that's just your opinion and it's an emotional opinion at that. When you make statements like " complete lack of effort in games " it demonstrates that you cannot be impartial and have a bias. Naturally you're entitled to it but it's colouring everything. You're making illogical leaps even though to you they seen reasonable.
Mate every emotionally biased novel you write lately seems to be illogical or off kilter. Pot kettle black.

Last edited:
lol

Forward by Wayne.

In all seriousness, everything there is left to be said about the situation has been said.
You’re right.

But honestly, part of the reason I joined this forum is that I find discussing topics like this interesting, particularly with people who don’t necessarily agree with my position.

I was thinking about it earlier and what is funny is that even though I wasn’t on this forum at the time, I remember defending the decision to bring Boyd back. He was an elite player at that time and continued to be in ‘15 and ‘16, thoroughly deserving his place as the Australian fullback.

But like many before him, he has failed to recognise that his career as a professional sports person has an expiry date.

I think this is the reason so many people, including myself, are so frustrated with him.

Last edited:
Melbourne do it, Roosters do it...any other elite sporting team in the world does it. Trials, perform or out. Simple. Fair chance on fair grounds like you say.
[automerge]1577873752[/automerge]

Mate every emotionally biased novel you write lately seems to be illogical or off kilter. Pot kettle black.
4 lines. A novel. 😯

Despite my questionable judgement I find myself being somehow persuaded Boyd will be a revelation on the wing. Because he was serviceable there outside Inglis, one of the greatest centres of all time. And, it's a new season. And Brodie Croft. Or something.

But then I remember just what a fucking embarrassment he was at his preferred position of fullback last year. So dire he became a meme. We were the laughing stock of the competition. Because of him, and him alone.

Macca might've been a bigger reason we were losing, but he looked like he was busting his guts out there. Boyd looked like he was on holidays. And then he had the audacity to say he was "trying too hard."

Watch this and maybe it will jog your memory:

He was so bad someone started a subreddit telling him to **** off.

And then I remember he was also captain. The captain who ultimately led us to the worst defeat in the history of the club. Even when the coach tried to hide him at 5/8th. Which, it goes without saying, was a disaster.

And that, folks, is where we left it.

So yeah, let's try him on the wing next. I'm sure he will be fine.

Last edited:
Bennett came out last year (2019) and defended Boyd, saying he was a brilliant trainer and always prepared well.

So, it would follow, that last year's form cannot be put down to poor training attitude or preparation. I'm unaware of any personal issues that may have affected his form.

The only conclusion one came make is either Boyd's on-field attitude is due to his being paid overs (hey ... I get paid regardless of form and I am captain), or he has hit the early 30s, and he's slowed down.

Then of course, last year was the first year without Uncle Wayne - so all those planned moves where Boyd was the key probably scrapped. The coach preparing the team around his protege gone.

All these factors combined for the rapid decline and crap-fest we all watched last year. Bring on 2020 and look forward to Boyd starring in the ISC.
Nail head + you = this post

Mate, thats rubbish. So are you telling me if Boyd is tearing it up, playing better than any other player on our books in the position we pick him in we should not bother with him because he hasnt been great on the last couple of years? Come on, that would just be idiotic. Its like i said before, you dont forget the form of 2019, but you dont base who you pick in 2020 from it either. If its a straight shot for example between Boyd and Herbie for a spot on the wing and Herbie is performing better, thats who you pick. Its not difficult, you pick the blokes who are performing. I said it earlier, but i have no preference who gets picked, i just want the bloke picked who deserves it. I dont really care about 2019 form now because it means nothing in 2020.

The thing is also, these up and comers you are going on about have to actually perform and take their chance. I dont think apart from our younger forwards and Turpin none of them have.
What I'm saying is you don't judge 2019 for 2020 not necessarily on Form, but on character and ability.

You cannot forgive what he tossed up last year when he was "fully fit, body best it's been" and even consider giving him a jersey to "see how he goes"

Would rather give it to someone who's hungry to play and "see how he goes instead".

If those players fail to meet realistic expectations, then if he hasn't kicked cans at training by that point, give him a shot

Another nail hit on its head.

Hopefully it's the nails in the casket that is Boyd's career and it can finally be burried out the back training paddock

Of course that's just your opinion and it's an emotional opinion at that. When you make statements like " complete lack of effort in games " it demonstrates that you cannot be impartial and have a bias. Naturally you're entitled to it but it's colouring everything. You're making illogical leaps even though to you they seem reasonable.
Watch the Broncos last game of 2019.

Watch the "captain" of that game.

Come at me again with your logic after just 20 mins in

Active Now

• Santa
  • Aldo
  • Xzei
  • Dazza 92
  • broncotville
  • Battler
  • Galah
  • Ondi
  • RolledOates
  • Kev_Guz
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Big Del
  • FACTHUNT
  • Brotherdu
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.