Battle of the Broncos' Buys

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
Following the 'Battle of the Worst Commentators' comes the 2nd battle of the summer... 'Battle of the Broncos' Buys.

This battle is to decide which is the best player bought by the Brisbane club.

Nominations are open until Friday and the battle will begin on the weekend.

2 nominations per poster per 24 hour period.

Glenn Lazarus - Easily our best buy, at a time we really needed a frontrower leader with serious experience and you couldn't get better then him, he was the final piece to the puzzle that would make the Broncos the powerhouse they were of the 90's. Would go onto teach the likes of Gee, Webcke and Civoniceva.

Kevin Walters - Brought in simply for depth and maybe an opportunity, chucked in the deepend in 1990 to replace the injury prone King and under immense pressure delivered the goods and then some, would go onto be the most important 5/8th partner for Langer at the Broncos, took so much pressure off Alfie in the playmaking duties his contributions should not be underestimated ever.

Justin Hodges - can he count?

Hear me out before you go bagging him (Coxy). We signed him in 2005 after his career was basically on the scrapheap. Turned him into an Origin and Kangaroos regular. He was the best centre in the game for a while there. Played a pivotal role in winning the premiership in 2006.

Not sure if he counts though, seeing as he was originally on our books before he headed to the Roosters.

Luke Priddis
Kevin Campion

These boys probably won't win but they deserve a nomination.

Oh and I nominate Greg Inglis.....................oh wait [eusa_doh

Glenn Lazarus for sure

Michael Ennis
Israel Folau

2008 was one of my favourite years to be a Broncos fan and I believe Ennis played an integral part in that. His work out of dummy half gave us a fluency we hadn't had in years and allowed for players like Denan Kemp to shine as we had more time and space to shift it out to ol' speedy gonzales.

Israel on the other hand was a strike player who just got better with time here at the Broncos. I'll never forget the try he scored against the Storm in his first game against the club - it's only a try he could've scored and better yet it helped my family win $50 on a double. Really enjoyed the 2010 season because of him and I believe every good Broncos Buys list needs to have his name included.

Richard Swain was certainly the most disappointing at least in the past decade; he was pretty good at the Storm (especially for my VNRL teams :P) but didn't fix our hooker issues at all.

From the past decade I would say Ben T'eo would be up there as well as Folau and definitely the second coming of Hodges. Casey McGuire was my favourite buy of the past decade.

I think our best buys were all pre-2001 though. The only one from the past 10 years that could've come close was Scott Prince, who was the biggest star on the rise when he left the Cowboys to join us. Stupid injuries...

Stu Kelly! :mrgreen:

Hope you're planning on doing a 'worst buys', Mister Wright.

The more nominations we get the better. The ones that fall out in the first round, at the end of the battle I"ll put them together for a worst buys battle.

Also, to clear things up. Only players who were brought to the Broncos having not previously played for us count. So that leaves guys like Hodges and Kemp out of contention.

Are you counting 1988?

If so Wally & Alf

If not Lazarus & Smith

Active Now

• marw
  • Broncorob
  • kiwibronco
  • Fatboy
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.