OFFICIAL Bellamy extends contract with Melbourne Storm

the_next

the_next

NRL Captain
Mar 9, 2018
There was some legs to the mail last night I guess.

Will be interesting to see what happens this arvo.
I expect Bellamy to give absolutely nothing this afternoon considering its at the airport and he is king of not giving anything away in these situations.

Brisbane have admitted they're going after Bellamy and Bennett has endorsed it, so it sounds like it's in Bellamy's court now.
The fact he hasn't signed the Melbourne 3yr extension that has been on the table for a month tells me he is heavily weighing up the move..

The most interesting part of all of this for me is next year.
Bennett made it extremely clear that he will be coaching the Broncos in 2019, and I don't know where that leaves Bellamy.
I think if White can somehow get Bellamy the head gig for 2019, he will be here if not, it could jeopardise the entire deal IMO

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008
Last time something like this happened was 2006

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Bellamy hasn't been at the Broncos for a long time now. Wouldn't hurt for him to spend a year as Bennett's assistant, working on a transition.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
I expect Bellamy to give absolutely nothing this afternoon considering its at the airport and he is king of not giving anything away in these situations.

Brisbane have admitted they're going after Bellamy and Bennett has endorsed it, so it sounds like it's in Bellamy's court now.
The fact he hasn't signed the Melbourne 3yr extension that has been on the table for a month tells me he is heavily weighing up the move..

The most interesting part of all of this for me is next year.
Bennett made it extremely clear that he will be coaching the Broncos in 2019, and I don't know where that leaves Bellamy.
I think if White can somehow get Bellamy the head gig for 2019, he will be here if not, it could jeopardise the entire deal IMO

Bellamy is on record a few weeks back actually considering retirement. Made big mention that his family are all down in Melbourne, including his grandkids.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Anyone who thinks Bennett actually endorsed us going after Bellamy is somewhat delusional, they would've orchestrated what was said that today to save face & make it look like Wayne had a say in the matter.

I think everything that's been said is true, White went behind Bennett's back to get a replacement. I don't think Bennett wants to leave in the slightest.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Bellamy is on record a few weeks back actually considering retirement. Made big mention that his family are all down in Melbourne, including his grandkids.

His daughter must feel pretty gutted to not be included as part of his family.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Anyone who thinks Bennett actually endorsed us going after Bellamy is somewhat delusional, they would've orchestrated what was said that today to save face & make it look like Wayne had a say in the matter.

I think everything that's been said is true, White went behind Bennett's back to get a replacement. I don't think Bennett wants to leave in the slightest.

Aaannnddd here comes your negativity !

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
and in other news...Bennett is coaching his 800th game this week. Amazing achievement.

Hooper, Kent and co may have had to spend the week giving him a wrap and paying credit to him for a wonderful career.

Can't have that.

The timing of all this is suspicious. It's a non issue. Broncos have made an offer to Bellamy and this is news? He's the best coach in the game and is off contract. Any club in a position to would make an offer. Anyway, whatever happens it won't happen until next year at the earliest.

How is this news exactly?

Accept

Accept

NRL Captain
Sep 27, 2016
Nup, he ain't coming. He is not going to sit out a season just to coach the Broncos. Which suits me fine, the thought of this grub stinking up the club that I love gives me heart palpitations. If the Broncos win the comp this year, will the vast amount of Bellamy fanboys on here lessen significantly?

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013

Lol

Scorchie

Scorchie

NRL Captain
Contributor
Mar 16, 2008
Am I the only one that thinks getting a 40-something coach is probably a better long term plan than another 60-something coach where we'll have the same problem in 5-10 years, or earlier if it fails?

Let's be fair - Benny had our club Top 8/4 in the past three seasons. Yet, somehow Ricky, Brad Arthur and Trent Barrett are untouchable? Wowsers.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Aaannnddd here comes your negativity !

Negativity =/= Realism

What part of Wayne's mannerisms & attitude over the last few years would lead you to believe that it's in his career arc to approach Paul White and say to him "I think you should try and replace me as soon as possible, I would highly recommend you go after Craig Bellamy, my arch rival."

Yes, that sounds totally believable and absolutely something Wayne Bennett would do.

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Negativity =/= Realism

What part of Wayne's mannerisms & attitude over the last few years would lead you to believe that it's in his career arc to approach Paul White and say to him "I think you should try and replace me as soon as possible, I would highly recommend you go after Craig Bellamy, my arch rival."

Yes, that sounds totally believable and absolutely something Wayne Bennett would do.

To be honest i haven't a fucking clue whats going on, and im pretty certain that goes for most people. It's all rumors atm

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
Negativity =/= Realism

Lol exactly. Wayne wants to coach the Broncos forever.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
What I got out of Bennett’s presser is that he admitted the Broncs we’re currently in a “situation“ he needed to get them out of. Let’s hope he is successful.

Broncapz

Broncapz

NRL Player
May 1, 2016
What I think has gone down.

Paul White has gone and made an offer to Bellamy over what Melbourne originally offered in good faith to Bellamy knowing that it will get a bigger offer from Melbourne. A move in good faith to Bellamy to make sure he gets more money.

Bellamy will sign for another 3 years with Melbourne with his bigger contract, Bennett will extend for two then Bellamy will come to Brisbane once Bennett's next contract is up.

Long term strategical ploy by Mr. White.

/tinfoil hat

Active Now

• Skathen
  • Mr Fourex
  • Foordy
  • Fatboy
  • Bish
  • Aldo
  • Brocko
  • teampjta
  • Manofoneway
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Waynesaurus
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Bucking Beads
  • Allo
  • Galah
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • sooticus
  • RolledOates
  • bb_gun
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.