OFFICIAL Bellamy extends contract with Melbourne Storm

broncsgoat

broncsgoat

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Oct 28, 2013
It was spun pretty well if it was a cover.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
To add to the conversation, here is Bennett's word for word comments today:

“I was part of the conversation about a month ago which I organised with the chairman and Paul White to talk about our future going forward as a club,”

He was part of the conversation, or he organised the conversation?

“I’ve always put the club first here and I’ve put the club first again.”

That just sounds odd, he's playing the saviour of the club card but is doing it in a very non-modest, almost passive aggressive manner.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
This isn't happening guys, it is a fabrication by Hooper and all we are doing is giving this idiot oxygen.

Just loving the predictions, keep them coming including we cant win the GF this year.
We would be a massive chance then.

Gaz

Gaz

NRL Captain
Contributor
Oct 7, 2017
What I think has gone down.

Paul White has gone and made an offer to Bellamy over what Melbourne originally offered in good faith to Bellamy knowing that it will get a bigger offer from Melbourne. A move in good faith to Bellamy to make sure he gets more money.

Bellamy will sign for another 3 years with Melbourne with his bigger contract, Bennett will extend for two then Bellamy will come to Brisbane once Bennett's next contract is up.

Long term strategical ploy by Mr. White.

/tinfoil hat
So it appears you never found the press conference.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Another reason I'm leaning towards the Bennett being pushed out route is that @Smokin' Joe has been saying Bellamy is and always has been our next target for the better part of 12 months, so Bennett "initiating" this conversation a month ago to go after Bellamy just sounds like a save-face to me.

Could be wrong..

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Another reason I'm leaning towards the Bennett being pushed out route is that @Smokin' Joe has been saying Bellamy is and always has been our next target for the better part of 12 months, so Bennett "initiating" this conversation a month ago to go after Bellamy just sounds like a save-face to me.

Could be wrong..

Joes leading you on

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k/news-story/a5e2798309fcdc6a372c90290e780369

WAYNE Bennett has declared he will never co-coach the Broncos with Craig Bellamy, and is standing firm he will see out his contract with Brisbane.

Brisbane has approached Melbourne coach Bellamy about the possibility of moving north to Brisbane in 2019.
But Bennett’s contract runs to the end of 2019, and he is adamant he won’t be standing down from the position prematurely.
“I’m staying here in 2019. That was always agreed upon, that was never part of the discussion,” Bennett told media on Wednesday.

“I’ve spent 25 years here so I know the place, I know the system, I know how it all works.
“I’m not going to walk away from something I love because someone thinks I can’t do it anymore.”
But Bennett, 68, realises his health — mental and physical — could play a factor in his coaching future.
He says he is feeling fit and still has a passion for the job, but can’t predict how he will feel later this year, or next year.
“I’m trying to be honest as well. It could come pretty quickly for me, in six months time I could find myself in ill health and all of a sudden I can’t coach,” he said.
“I’ve got to be realistic and I’ve got to do the right thing by the club as well.
“I’m trying to do both those things so the club’s not at a disadvantage.”
Bellamy was once Bennett’s assistant at Red Hill, before moving to the Victorian capital where he has coached the Storm since 2003.
The timing of the respective coaches contracts is unfortunate for Brisbane. If Bellamy was to sign from 2019, they would have to push Bennett out the door.
If they wanted Bennett to see out his contract, Bellamy would be in limbo for a year, as it’s highly unlikely the Storm will let him stay on for one season.
There’s a suggestion Bellamy could once again work alongside Bennett at the Broncos.
Bennett told media he will never coach alongside Bellamy.
“That’s not going to happen. That’s just not going to happen,” he said.
“It’s just not practical. It sounds good in theory but it won’t work in practice.
“I still want to coach, he wants to coach, what do you do? He takes the backs I’ll take the forwards ... what do you do?”
Bennett also confirmed he initiated a meeting with Broncos boss Paul White about a month ago where he suggested they approach Bellamy, who is off contract in Melbourne.

But he says he was unaware the meeting had already taken place.
“I initiated it (the meeting). You’ve got to be honest in life ... I didn’t want it unfolding without me having some control over it, without me being a part of it.
“I’ve spent 25 years of my life here.”
Bennett says when he does stand down from the job at Brisbane, he will be happy to assist in the handover to the new coach.
“We won’t have to worry too much about recruitment. We’ve got a good team here and we’ve got good kids coming through,” he said.

Of course we will (have to handle the transition), but I have a good relationship with Craig.
“If that was to happen, whatever coach was to come in, I’m going to be supportive of him. I’m not going to be pandering them.
“The club comes first with me. It’s not about me, it never has been. The club is bigger than me, bigger than everybody.”
In the initial meeting with Paul White, Bennett says Bellamy was discussed as well as current Broncos assistant Jason Demetriou, and former assistant Kevin Walters.
Walters walked away from the club earlier this season to focus on his job coaching Queensland.

R

Reyter

QCup Player
Apr 7, 2018

Could be wrong..
You are not wrong. Rumors have been around well over a month. The guys in the back office must have rolled their eyes if WB actually told them that (to go after Bellamy).

P

pagey

State of Origin Rep
Aug 19, 2013
Maybe it's all a farse to keep the attention away from his 800th game. That sounds realistic to me

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...k/news-story/a5e2798309fcdc6a372c90290e780369
“I initiated it (the meeting). You’ve got to be honest in life ... I didn’t want it unfolding without me having some control over it, without me being a part of it.
“I’ve spent 25 years of my life here.”
Bennett says when he does stand down from the job at Brisbane, he will be happy to assist in the handover to the new coach.
“We won’t have to worry too much about recruitment. We’ve got a good team here and we’ve got good kids coming through,” he said.

Of course we will (have to handle the transition), but I have a good relationship with Craig.
“If that was to happen, whatever coach was to come in, I’m going to be supportive of him. I’m not going to be pandering them.
“The club comes first with me. It’s not about me, it never has been. The club is bigger than me, bigger than everybody.”
In the initial meeting with Paul White, Bennett says Bellamy was discussed as well as current Broncos assistant Jason Demetriou, and former assistant Kevin Walters.
Walters walked away from the club earlier this season to focus on his job coaching Queensland.

Lol some contradictory quotes by Wayne. His ego is massive.

B

Broncs_Fan

NRL Player
Jun 5, 2015
Just as massive as your dislike for him

I have a lot of respect for what he has achieved in the past. But he's deluded if he thinks he can coach the Broncos forever with the recruiting mistakes he's made over the past couple of years and the way we are playing this year.

In his head he was coaching the Broncos well into his 70s I believe. But the way we are travelling that isn't going to happen.

Getting Bellamy would a massive coup by Paul White.

Last edited:
OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
That just sounds odd, he's playing the saviour of the club card but is doing it in a very non-modest, almost passive aggressive manner.

If he had the best interests of the club in mind, I wonder if he would leave a year early if it meant getting Bellamy to Brisbane.

He always talks about moving older players on, in the interest of retaining any possibly better younger talent coming through.

I wonder if he'd do the same as coach?

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Just read an article saying that Bennett said he would coach against the Broncos again and has already received multiple offers from clubs over the last couple of weeks.

Sayonara uncle Wayne.

Active Now

• Strop
  • FACTHUNT
  • Jazza
  • LittleDavey
  • Harry Sack
  • Bucking Beads
  • BroncoFan94
  • Foordy
  • broncsgoat
  • K-Style
  • Morkel
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • bb_gun
  • scobie
  • theshed
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.