NEWS Ben Ikin appointed Head of Football

Guess this means his estranged father-in-law won't be back.

Ikin and Kent will co-host NRL 360 for the final time on Wednesday night, where the team is planning a special tribute episode.

Ben Ikin said:

“The Broncos are a great club. The NRL team isn’t doing so great at the moment, so this opportunity is both exciting and challenging."

“Broncos fans are desperate to see the NRL team playing finals and winning premierships again, and I’ll be doing everything I can to make that happen. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed my ten years working at Fox Sports hosting NRL 360."

“I’ve been lucky enough to work alongside some very talented people who all helped craft the show into what it’s become. I specifically want to thank my good mate Paul Kent, who gave me an education in journalism and showed me every day what fearless storytelling looks like in the flesh.”

Donuts:

“Ben brings a wealth of rugby league knowledge and is widely respected in the game. We believe he is a perfect fit for this senior role that is critical to the future success of our football club and I look forward to working with him.”

Fox Sports executive editor Luke McIlveen:

“Ben Ikin has been an integral part of the success of NRL 360 since day one. This is an exciting opportunity for Ben to return to the club that means so much to him at a time when they need him most."

“We wish him all the best."

McHunt

What experience does he have for this role? He has been a TV presenter. Presumably has done other things as well as his TV role but what?

He wears glasses so he looks smart for an ex-league player I guess.

I like it. I really, really like it. As mentioned, he isn't a yes man and if you listen to him on 360, he is usually pretty spot on in problems the Broncs have and has good / interesting ideas in how to address it. He also quite a bit of media pull after his time on 360.

What experience does he have for this role? He has been a TV presenter. Presumably has done other things as well as his TV role but what?

He was on the Cowboys board for a couple of years prior to quitting to take up a job at Fox Sports, he also become an 'Independent Director' of the QRL in 2017, a job which he still has.

So he's got a little bit of experience in an administrative capacity.

Cowboys and I think wynum manly.

That isn't difficult.

Does this mean Lara is taking his gig on 360? Maybe she might get a word in now.

They are trying to get the show to rate as well as possible. Lara is a good presenter but she lacks a bit of gravitas.

Great appointment; I wanted him as CEO 12 months ago but Head of Football is next best. I thought Ikin might go the QRL CEO.

He has done such a good job on the QRL board.

Canavan was my other choice and he’s is now on the QRL board.

I’d still love to see him back at Brisbane.

Golf isn’t that big a deal…….

I think he's done a great job on the QRL and the game is thriving, I don't even know he'd want to do it.

360 three nights a week and golf four times a week would be hard to beat.

Not sure if he's retired or just between gigs- not sure he knows but Brian Canavan has left the Knights now after righting that ship. He'd be an excellent candidate if he was keen to work again. Be full circle back to the Broncos again.

Active Now

• Organix
  • Foordy
  • LittleDavey
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Financeguy
  • Mr Fourex
  • Fatboy
  • Brocko
  • winslow_wong
  • Morkel
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Harry Sack
  • Johnny92
  • BroncoFan94
  • broncos4life
  • Nerd
  • Shane Tronc
  • Browny
  • Waynesaurus
... and 17 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.