Ben Ikin: Sorry Darius, Maybe you need to Harden Up

Some highly paid footballers cant handle the truth and Joel Thompson is one of them. The media scrutiny comes with the pay packet. It why they get paid so much to begin with.

Media scrutiny is fair enough but we’ve all seen how low some of these bottom dwellers will stoop for a story. Ikin seems to be implying that if you sign up for the cash, you’ve got to take the ride which is true to a certain extent but they don’t have to put up with, for example, photos in private areas, unverified gossip, etc.

Media scrutiny is fair enough but we’ve all seen how low some of these bottom dwellers will stoop for a story. Ikin seems to be implying that if you sign up for the cash, you’ve got to take the ride which is true to a certain extent but they don’t have to put up with, for example, photos in private areas, unverified gossip, etc.
Is that now how all celebrity life is? Everyone analysing you and everything you do as a result of them effectively generating the income for you to be that?

People have to understand what it is they are signing up for here.... this is not new.

Not saying this is justified, but it is part of how our society functions.

I hardly think the media reporting on Mitchell breaking state and national restrictions is unfair, particulary when it was already on, well, social media...

The reality is, whether he likes it or not, people expect him to use his profile to set an example for his people and the kids that look up to him (and honestly, what an opportunity he has to actually do some good). Instead, he was parading around flaunting lock-down restrictions and got caught.

Another thing that I think is being overlooked is that he, and a lot of those defending him, conveniently forget the media they are criticising is the same media he used to play the Roosters and Souths (and whoever the other clubs were) off against one another to get what he wanted during his contract fiasco.

Moral to the story; you know, the whole cake and eat it thing.

Judging by the grammar in his tweet I bet he couldn’t read it.

Hasn't he only made two errors? I mean, you look at most league players and yeah, they are generally incoherent rabble but this isn't bad is it?

Last edited:
Its perspective.
Give Latrell and Darius a month working a normal job, on a normal wage, with normal expenses.
I bet they are not so unhappy after they go back to their NRL gig.

That being said, Ikin is a merkin, never liked the bloke and am of the strong opinion he only had a career because he married the right person.
He has no idea what it would be like to be under the kind of media scrutiny that Latrell or Darius have faced because he was never, ever good enough to warrant that level of media interest.

Last edited:
Its perspective.
Give Latrell and Darius a month working a normal job, on a normal wage, with normal expenses.

That being said, Ikin is a merkin, never liked the bloke and am of the strong opinion he only had a career because he married the right person.
He has no idea what it would be like to be under the kind of media scrutiny that Latrell or Darius have faced because he was never, ever good enough to warrant that level of media interest.
Agree with the first part but not the second.

Ikin was never a superstar, but he was better than good, he just had knees held together by masking tape. Certainly in his early career he was a sharp player, both in his movements and between the ears.

Certainly when he was playing, no player was under the same scrutiny as players are these days. But similarly, their pay packets were no where near as big either.

Last edited:
Its perspective.

That's a shit ass take. (Again, the second part)

Absolute dribble. He's very intelligent...

I'm not Ikin's biggest fan, but he'd already played for Qld and Aus years before he started dating Bennett's daughter.

Edit: quoted wrong post

Last edited:
I'm not Ikin's biggest fan, but he'd already played for Qld and Aus years before he started dating Bennett's daughter.
Yeah exactly. Regardless of what you think of him personally, you have to agree objectively he made his own way in the game very early on

Didn't Ben Ikin quit ch 9 when they were doing a current affairs program on his father going broke owing $10m.

He wasn't all ok with media scrutiny then. Where was the "it's all fair game" attitude when his family was put under the microscope.
Also where were the stories about his journo pal James Hooper when he jumped all over that car pissed as a maggot. ( fucking buried )
Are people interested in this stuff therefore they write about it or are people interested because they write about.?

Very hypocritical from him IMO, just a piece defending his employer.

Didn't Ben Ikin quit ch 9 when they were doing a current affairs program on his father going broke owing $10m.

He wasn't all ok with media scrutiny then. Where was the "it's all fair game" attitude when his family was put under the microscope.
Also where were the stories about his journo pal James Hooper when he jumped all over that car pissed as a maggot. ( fucking buried )
Are people interested in this stuff therefore they write about it or are people interested because they write about.?

Very hypocritical from him IMO, just a piece defending his employer.
Yep, I stopped reading after the first two lines. Get fucked Ikin. The fans pay the bills, not the media corporations and I don't see media companies acting in the best interest of the public.

What Ikin has said is completely fair game and true. I dont particularly care what happened in his family or the Bennett thing. Lets sum this up in simple terms:

1) Does Latrell get paid big dollars? - Yes
2) Is he made aware of sponsorship, business and publicity commitments as being employed on big dollars? - Yes
3) Has he ever signed an autograph for a child, acted as a role model or engaged in the community in the interest of benefiting others as apart of being a football player and member of the rugby league community? - Yes
4) Did the indigenous Australians have guns or ride motorbikes on the beach and post them on social media? - No
5) Do these players have to abide by the same rules and laws as the general public? - Yes
6) Are cultural reasons an excuse for taking the piss in relation to the rest of society? - No
7) Does taking the piss attract scrutiny? - Yes
8) Does taking the piss reflect positively to your employer, sponsors or business relations? - No

When you bring things upon yourself, you cant sit there and cry wolf as a get out of jail free card. Tough lessons need to be learnt, with or without mental health support when and where needed.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Justwin
  • theshed
  • Fitzy
  • Ondi
  • Socnorb
  • Santa
  • Wolfie
  • bazza
  • Culhwch
  • marw
  • Jedhead
  • kman
  • MrTickyMcG
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • Porthoz
  • Behold
  • Kev_Guz
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.