Ben Ikin: Sorry Darius, Maybe you need to Harden Up

Seems im not the only one who thinks Ikin is a merkin.
The guy is a douche.

The guy is a douche, but not for what he said in that article. This is now a professional sport and you can’t use your mental health to hold the game or the media to ransom. I hate the media but their existence gives the game it’s money, the players theirs and a product that we all obsess over.

If you get away from the headlines and the PC brigade that sit at their phones poised to be offended all he has said that is if the demands of your job are having a negative effect you should assess if it is best for you to continue. It’s the same in anyone’s employment.

The guy is a douche, but not for what he said in that article. This is now a professional sport and you can’t use your mental health to hold the game or the media to ransom. I hate the media but their existence gives the game it’s money, the players theirs and a product that we all obsess over.

If you get away from the headlines and the PC brigade that sit at their phones poised to be offended all he has said that is if the demands of your job are having a negative effect you should assess if it is best for you to continue. It’s the same in anyone’s employment.

Yeah but he said something about mental health, that is the take away here, forget anything he may have actually said.

Yeah but he said something about mental health, that is the take away here, forget anything he may have actually said.
Its just a really stupid perspective.
Mental health problems can develop at any point in a persons life, in a number of ways. From addiction problems, to depression and anxiety and other potentially more serious mental illnesses.
It may have nothing to do with media scrutiny, but completely unrelated issues in life.
Ikin is saying these people should quit footy if that happens.
Everyone is entitled to some privacy, even more so when its their health involved.
I understand there will be a level of media interest in a persons life outside their profession but i believe some things should be off limits to a certain extent, and should not cost a person their job if it happens to them.

TLDR Ikin is a merkin and overrated.

Last edited:
I dont see the drama really. Darius is right about the mental health side of things, but i also think its fair to say if you cant handle the pressures of being a high profile footy player, then give it away. I cant remember too many giving it up. I do recall a story about a soccer player in England who decided he didnt like the person he was becoming as a footy player, so he just quit playing as he was coming towards his prime years and became a jehovahs witness.

I dont see the drama really. Darius is right about the mental health side of things, but i also think its fair to say if you cant handle the pressures of being a high profile footy player, then give it away. I cant remember too many giving it up. I do recall a story about a soccer player in England who decided he didnt like the person he was becoming as a footy player, so he just quit playing as he was coming towards his prime years and became a jehovahs witness.

A voice of reason.

I doubt we'd be talking about it this much if there was footie on.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • broncos4life
  • Nerd
  • Galah
  • Justwin
  • Foordy
  • Tim K
  • Rambstien
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wolfie
  • Morkel
  • Brocko
  • BroncosAlways
  • Battler
  • winslow_wong
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Aldo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Organix
  • Mr Fourex
... and 31 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.