Benji Marshall in trouble

Coxy said:
ROFL. saw a soundbite with him apparently from Friday saying how it disappoints him that a minority of players muck up.

I know.

He said something like 98/100 do the right thing.

I wonder who will be selected to be the face of the game in 2012?
Man, what a poisoned chalice that is.

Jarryd Hayne hopefully. With special orders to promote the game at Kings Cross.

Fozz said:
Jarryd Hayne hopefully. With special orders to promote the game at Kings Cross.
OMG, that was so wrong! [icon_ee
The worst part is that I LOL'd... hard! [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1.

just realised when i saw it on the news i used to work at the bar above the mcdonalds lol..

i might of been in it if i still did lol

Coxy said:

THERE IS NEVER AN EXCUSE TO PUNCH SOMEONE.

What if someone kills/rapes etc your family member in front of you? (Ok, I know it is overboard but I'm trying to make a point)
Extreme case or not, there are times when people deserve to get decked... simple as that. Unless you are talking about verbal provocation only - but I still think there are certain things that shouldn't be said.

Anyhow - In this case, I think the footy player is 'usually' in the wrong. It's not their first day playing NRL - they KNOW that pissed dickheads and idiots on the street are going to call them all sorts of names and taunt them etc etc. They know that by now... and esp BENJI... so far it looks like Benji in the wrong.

Self defence or to defend someone else from physical harm are the only possible exceptions to the rule, yes.

No wonder he lashed out.

They were comparing him to a white man (god). [icon_lol1.

Police will allege the victim said to Marshall outside the McDonald's restaurant: "Hey Benji, Lockyer's better than you", and then repeated the same sledge two more times.

He was then allegedly hit in the mouth by Marshall and suffered a split lip, before a second man who appeared to be with Marshall stepped in and hit him on the cheek.

Police do not believe the attack was racially motivated - despite Marshall's manager Martin Tauber claiming his client was called a "black c ... ".

The victim is Australian-born but of Middle Eastern background and insisted he had not made racist slurs.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/ ... 6016748361

The guy who was assulted would have in his lifetime copped some taunts.

Not the first time Benji has punched someone whilst out and about.

- No good comes after 2am.

---
Fine him and let him play though...nothing to see here. If the media didn't report on this like it was the end of the world (their was "Breaking News" and they cut the current weather report to report this) then the players wouldn't be targetted.

That was HARDLY news. He gave the bloke a split lip ffs.

Can you imagine the headlines if it was Hodges that hit someone.

Marshall hasn't learnt a thing

http://www.news.com.au/marshall-in-king ... public_rss

Marshall in Kings Cross strife
June 16, 2008

WESTS Tigers star Benji Marshall has again come under attack by a member of the general public with the New Zealand international having to avoid being punched while at a Kings Cross nightspot.

Love the last part of the story

In March 2006 Marshall was knocked to the ground during a brawl at a Coffs Harbour pub.

He claimed at the time that the incident would change his views on heading out to nightspots in the future.

At this rate, Marshall won't get into strife for another 2 years.

Fining players isn't enough. They earn more in a week than they get fined.

They need a rest for a few weeks, and to lose some privileges. Then fine a decent amount.

Automatic 6 week suspension for bringing the game into disrepute. Do it again, double everything, 3rd strike. Go to England.

It looks ugly if Benji wasn't racially provoked. That, or an insult directed at his family would be about the only things the "court of public opinion" would accept as provocation for throwing a punch.

If it is as reported that it was just a jibe about Locky being better... :roll: I find that unlikely though.

They can't prove what was said.

Marshall threw a punch, so he started it. Guy that was punched didn't punch back.

His mate that was there, hasn't been found.

Kaz said:
They can't prove what was said.

Marshall threw a punch, so he started it. Guy that was punched didn't punch back.

His mate that was there, hasn't been found.

Thats not how the law works. Benji will get off if he can prove what the guy said to him was bad enough to warrant a punch. The law allows you to "defend yourself" if someone says something that would "anger a normal person". its stupid, but its actually the law. he will get off

It's good that you can't just go around saying whatever the heck you want to people though.

mrslong said:
It's good that you can't just go around saying whatever the heck you want to people though.

Yes, but a punch should never be acceptable response to a verbal taunt. Even if it's vulgar, disgusting, offensive and derogatory.

Active Now

• broncsgoat
  • Jedhead
  • kiwibronco
  • Lozza
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.