Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
59b183c10309e 4082658 rl broncos venue 1280x720

Brisbane Broncos coach Wayne Bennett says success will take time

October 8, 2017

“WE will be better,” Wayne Bennett promised in his final public summary of the 2017 Broncos at their presentation night on Friday.

The Broncos farewelled Ben Hunt, Benji Marshall, Adam Blair and Herman Ese’ese from their NRL finals team who made an exit in the preliminary finals.

Cronulla recruit Jack Bird, Warrington forward Andre Savelio and lower graders including middle forwards Patrick Carrigan, the Broncos under-20s player of the year, and George Fai are among the key reinforcements for 2018.

While the Broncos, like most clubs, will monitor the off-season “sales’’ for key-position bargains, they have little room left in the salary cap and if a James Roberts opportunity presents itself, a player would have to be moved on, such as Dale Copley in late 2015.

“There are areas we have to improve in and that’s my job to make sure that happens,’’ Bennett told the audience at Brisbane’s presentation night.

“We are on a journey and part of that journey is the learning phase and understanding we haven’t been the team we want to be and that we can take that next step.

“It is a time thing. I can’t snap my fingers and it happens overnight, but I know I have a group of men committed to that course.

“We have some players leaving and some new players, which will also add to that.

“We will be better.’’

Outgoing Broncos playmaker, Benji Marshall, said halfback contender Kodi Nikorima was “the future of the club at No. 7”.

“Anthony Milford will be the No. 6 for 10 years,” added Marshall, who will rejoin Wests Tigers.

“To see those guys and Ben, too, grow was probably my highlight for the year.

“The players have made it such an inspiring place to come to train. There’s not a dickhead in the group. I haven’t been to a better club and Brisbane will hold a special place.’’

Source: Courier Mail

Milf be at the club for 10 years haha? Id be fine with that if he was consistent form for all of his games.

Lockyer had games he struggled in, as did Alf, even in the prime of their careers. Best we can hope for is more consistent form, and a development to a more rounded skill set. If things stay as they are, they can go as far as they did this year but without a lot of luck, no farther.
Atleast the pack will be strong.

Well we are getting a few of the types Marshall said we don't have by the sound of it in Taueli, Lodge and Mago.

Literally, not even the greatest players. Played consistently great every game. But even if they did you and a few others on this forum still wouldn't be happy.

Me? He is one of my favorite players trust me dude id be happy, Im not expecting full consistent form but not form like 2 games and then out of form but that will improve with one halves partner next season not swapping and changing the n.7 jersey.

Me? He is one of my favorite players trust me dude id be happy, Im not expecting full consistent form but not form like 2 games and then out of form but that will improve with one halves partner next season not swapping and changing the n.7 jersey.
Yeah bro! He needs a steady spine. We had way to many injuries to our spine this season and still managed 3rd. Don't see why we can't win it all next year tbh.

Champion players have bad games which is fine they are human. But usually their variance is lower and their number of strong games far outweigh bad ones.

At current rate of progression 2020 at least before Milf starts being consistently a first class five eight. Based on his performances, current skill mix and those still required and fact that it is rare for halves to start to peak till mid or late 20s. Which isn't a huge problem if he isn't on superstar pay rate and we have another strong half to hold it together when he is cold and direct the team so he doesn't have to. But he is and we don't. At the moment he is trading on potential, hype and competing offers from teams like storm that can work around his development. So whats the plan for Broncs then wait till Ash maybe 2019 or few more years for Milf to earn his pay? Wayne said we needed time (although might be his usual deflection to media).

While Locky was still playing I clearly remember a few on BHQ saying he should retire, etc. Even the great players have their critics, and I'm definitely a critic of Milford however I do believe he can become great. I was really impressed with him post shoulder injury, he didn't shy away from the tough stuff and if anything played better than pre-injury.

It's all attitude, how much do they want it. End of.

Being beaten by a better team at the pointy end of the season is one thing, not even challenging them is another.

While Locky was still playing I clearly remember a few on BHQ saying he should retire, etc.

Yeah but those people are idiots. Lockyer may have been susceptible to poor games, moreso when he lacked support, but there was never a game where you thought yeah.. the game has passed him by. He got 4th or 5th in the Golden Boot votes in his final year, at 35 - not many are capable of that.

Even the great players have their critics, and I'm definitely a critic of Milford however I do believe he can become great. I was really impressed with him post shoulder injury, he didn't shy away from the tough stuff and if anything played better than pre-injury.
That they do, but, great players have periods of sustained excellence that gives them that leeway of having a poor period. While Milford has shown in patches to be brilliant, its his consistency that is lacking and has always lacked. Tbh, i don't think the shoulder injury really effected much in terms of his consistency this year, he's always been hot and cold. Probably partially the grind of the NRL (he's been playing 5 years now so he's probably in that middle patch of not being new but not quite running the show or being a veteran, working out where he fits in the big picture), and partially adapting to defences adapting to him and his style.

It remains to be seen how he kicks on from here.

Attack wise he'll be fine. He hasn't suffered major injuries that have slowed him down. With the same kind of space as sides with big packs he'll look phenomenal. The broncos, since Lockyer retired have lacked the ability to build pressure consistently and wear sides down. Part of that has been an atrocious at times kicking game, but a lot has been forwards being caught in their own 20 being unable to take the ball beyond halfway in a set, that in any way gives opportunity for attacking kicks/ running. Meanwhile, other teams have been allowed to do the exact opposite with up tempo plays after front rowers have bent the line.
I think we too often play ad-lib football without a goal in mind. There has to be some idea of where a set will end and how. Throwing the ball to our backs 2nd tackle for a sweeping play is great but it always must lead to a last play where everybody is onboard with what's going on, and prepare accordingly. Seeing a 2nd rower or lock getting the ball 1st or 2nd pass on the last play, 30 metres out, guarantees a disastrous end.
What is needed is for halves to not only step up on last tackle but to want the ball, after our forwards have put them into that 30 metre space, most teams score from, and every part of the spine working on the same plan or atleast a variation of.
If the off-season signings work out or our young forwards advance as much next season as this, we'll have one half of the solution.
The other half is just hard work and repetition.

You've had a bit longer than overnight, Wayne.

It's hard to be critical as a fan when your return tenure has seen 2 top 4 finishes, 1 5th place finish and a GF appearance, but you would be the first to agree that this is an exceptional club, and therefore has exceptional standards. It is clear to everyone with footy brains worth a damn that this is a premiership standard squad. So why then are we still seeing a premiership standard squad with no desire to be an actual premiership squad and bowing out of finals with a whimper? Why has our front row sucked for the better part of 5 years? We shouldn't exactly be a club that struggles on the recruitment front, and yet all we have to show for it next year is Jack Bird.

Don't get me wrong, things are a shitload better than they were under Griffin, but still, expecting fans not to be disappointed when the title window opens wide like a nice pair of brazilian legs only to then promptly slam shut with not much to show for it is a big ask.

You've had a bit longer than overnight, Wayne.

It's hard to be critical as a fan when your return tenure has seen 2 top 4 finishes, 1 5th place finish and a GF appearance, but you would be the first to agree that this is an exceptional club, and therefore has exceptional standards. It is clear to everyone with footy brains worth a damn that this is a premiership standard squad. So why then are we still seeing a premiership standard squad with no desire to be an actual premiership squad and bowing out of finals with a whimper? Why has our front row sucked for the better part of 5 years? We shouldn't exactly be a club that struggles on the recruitment front, and yet all we have to show for it next year is Jack Bird.

Don't get me wrong, things are a shitload better than they were under Griffin, but still, expecting fans not to be disappointed when the title window opens wide like a nice pair of brazilian legs only to then promptly slam shut with not much to show for it is a big ask.
Exactly.. and even saying "it won't happen over night" is giving our already lack luster team excuses to fail next year.

Wayne is so casual, perhaps to much so.. Our players need the staunchest of kicks up the ass IMO. Cut their pay or something lol

Active Now

• Broncorob
  • marw
  • sooticus
  • GCBRONCO
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.