Bennett - 'Success won't happen overnight'

Dam right! I swear all that alcohol and extra weight is slowing him down some too..

but jeez, no one is as slow as that Darius Boyd...
Boyd is not slow, he is just hesitant to run hard. He's one of the quickest at the broncos.

People seem to want to forget the last two and a half years with us and focus on his form dip for his injury affected second half of this season.

Human nature! People can't help but to point fingers. We all do it at some point.

People always focus on the negatives. We were riddled with injuries across the park this year, Oates spent a while out, Boyd broke his hand then was on one leg, Milford played half a season with a busted shoulder, Hunt missed a fair bit with his hamstring, Macca was gone for the back third, Benji IIRC broke his hand in cup just as we needed him and Sims got broken just before finals. I'm not sure whether the same spine played more than three or four games in a row together all year. Yet we took a team missing the hooker (a key guy defensively who I heard won players' player despite missing a third of the year?), missing or broken fullback, busted five eight and an at-best raw halfback all the way to the prelims eventually losing to the best wrestlers in the business who got through the entire season with four losses, only two of them when the team was at full strength. But it's much cooler to point out how terrible certsin players are and really wind up the doom and gloom.

He's just copying the same game plan Kahu did to protect his body when he wasn't 100% but nobody blew up about that..

Boyd is not slow, he is just hesitant to run hard. He's one of the quickest at the broncos.
I know, I'm just having a laugh. Bringing up dated arguments to see if it might land a bite... and it did lol.

People always focus on the negatives. We were riddled with injuries across the park this year, Oates spent a while out, Boyd broke his hand then was on one leg, Milford played half a season with a busted shoulder, Hunt missed a fair bit with his hamstring, Macca was gone for the back third, Benji IIRC broke his hand in cup just as we needed him and Sims got broken just before finals. I'm not sure whether the same spine played more than three or four games in a row together all year. Yet we took a team missing the hooker (a key guy defensively who I heard won players' player despite missing a third of the year?), missing or broken fullback, busted five eight and an at-best raw halfback all the way to the prelims eventually losing to the best wrestlers in the business who got through the entire season with four losses, only two of them when the team was at full strength. But it's much cooler to point out how terrible certsin players are and really wind up the doom and gloom.
When you put it like that I guess did alright this year..

I think the problem is that every team in the NRL suffers injuries... some worse than others but its the nature of rugby league that players get injured and no club or its fanbase should ever use it as an excuse... you have to get on and work with it . The frustration is that we tend to use it as a fall back to a poor performance and let it cover up real deficiencies. The point was made earlier that we bow out of the comp without a whimper, and for many thats just not good enough. People can accept loss, but they get pissed off when we roll out the same old same old regularly and get the same results. We have good cattle, we need better individual game plans, some mongrel in attack and defence, and a never say die attitude. Thats all on Wayne... you can't just keep having the same philosophies and belief systems when its starting to show more and more that they don't work any more. Reality is footy at this level isn't the basic game it once might have been... there are lots of nuances, and if you don't consider them and address them you can't be a serious threat. I hope he has something new to offer in style and attitude next year or I think its time to move along.

I just hope Wayne teaches our first receiver how to catch a ball in the pre-season so we can attempt some actual set plays. Must have really slowed down the learning process having to teach that particular player how to catch a pass that lands on his chest.

Boyd needs to take a page out of Kahu’s book. He isn’t the quickest but shows intent especially on his kick returns and that’s what Boyd especially doesn’t do.

I think there's a point with injuries this year: the amount, but also the fact they occurred right throughout the year to different players of the spine.
The cowboys lost some great players but they had the time to adjust (Scott) and the knowledge ahead of the finals to restructure in the case of thureson. They were huge losses but because they were ahead of the finals games, the same team would run out, week to week. They could form combinations, tactics and set plays accordingly.
What I believe was an error in judgement was the constant changing of our halves, and with it, the way we play. Yes, some of it was forced with injury, but there was also a lot of picking our halves, based on week to week form.
You pick the roles of the spine with the idea that 1 game is not enough to reach the full potential of the combination. Players who work together must learn to trust each others skills and adjust to the deficiencies when they exist. It takes a lot of playing together to do that. And if you are moved into a different role it doesn't mean you will have that same level of co-ordination, just because you played together in a different role.
If that is learnt from this year, then we will have the ability to go all the way. The skills to do so are there (even with the ordinary kicking game) because we can play the game on our terms, provided we play as a team.

He's just copying the same game plan Kahu did to protect his body when he wasn't 100% but nobody blew up about that..

Kahu isn't the captain and hasn't got a stranglehold on a key spine position. He also doesn't sook on tackles ruining momentum. Kahu went to fullback. His body (speed) wasn't up to it so was transferred back to wing where we needed him no fuss. He kicks us to victory, body wasn't up to it so he stopped (except when suspect Wayne asked him to do it before he was obviously ready and he muffed a few). He was injured he stopped playing, we needed so he came back mildly injured.

Apples and oranges.

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  • Battler
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.