Best 5 Broncos Games Ever

redbur95

redbur95

QCup Player
Feb 17, 2013
Recently, many NSW clubs like Canterbury and Souths have had 'NRL Essentials' DVDs released for them. They all contain what are, according to someone, the best 5 games in the club's televised history.

If the Broncos were to have their version, which games would be in it?

This is my list so far:
1. v Sea Eagles, Round 1 1988
2. v Eels, Round 12 2008
3. v Bulldogs, Preliminary Final 2006
4. v Dragons, Elimination Final 2011
5. ????????

5. Broncos vs Bulldogs Preliminary Final 1993

Last edited by a moderator:
We should put together a short-list.

Best performances?

or Best Games in General?

Round 9 vs. Newcastle
Round 13 vs. Warriors
Round 16 vs. Manly
Round 23 vs. Melbourne - Our best performance of the season bar none. Even in defeat, there was a lot to be proud of.

Performances
Round 7 vs. Penrith - Our first complete performance of the season. Was cool watching Webcke play halfback towards the end of the game and send a rampaging Civoniceiva into a clear. Hodges then kicks a goal from close to the sideline.

Round 12 vs. Bulldogs - Off the back of a disappointing Origin 1, the Broncos hold an in-form Canterbury to just one try. The 25-6 scoreline didn't do us justice.

Round 17 vs. Cronulla - Our second best performance of the season. Without all of our Origin players plus injuries to Hunt & Hodges yet easily account for Cronulla who I believe were a Top 4 side 26-12.

Round 26 vs. Warriors - Great afternoon at Suncorp. Left us flat next week but gee it was enjoyable watching the likes of Berrigan, Hodges and TC run riot.

FW2 vs. Newcastle - Knights were woeful and we made them pay with a scintillating offensive display. We scored some of our best tries of that season that night.

FW3 vs. Bulldogs - You know the drill.

GF vs. Melbourne - Our defence was awesome that night and the Hodges try was so simple yet so brilliant.

We should put together a short-list.

Best performances?

or Best Games in General?

I wasn't clear enough. I was referring to the games in which a Broncos and a neutral fan would remember most fondly. For example, the game against Parra in '08 was far from a comprehensive performance, but it had several comebacks, it was high-scoring, and Denan Kemp scored his 4th try to win the match on the last play of the game! That game will be remembered more fondly after 20 years than a thrashing of Penrith, despite the drop of comprehensiveness. Even an Eels fan would say that game was one of the best of the NRL era.

Ahh so most memorable?

I'll let you guys be, I'm just going to go off in my little corner and reminisce about forgotten classics.

From my experience.

06 Grand Final, 06 Prelim Final, 11 Semi final.

Cant choose more then those 3.

06 Preliminary final vs the dogs was awesome. Lockyer was unstoppable in the 2nd half, one of his best performances.

Little bit off track but I remember thinking the 08 semi-final was a great game until I watched it again this year and there were 30 errors that game (15/side) which is terrible for a finals match.

The Dogs game in 06 was awesome, but the games I saw live at the ground have always left a greater impact on me, starting with the Field Goal win on Locky's last NRL game against the Dragons in 2011. What an epic game that was!

The 71-6 against the Knights for the obvious reasons.

That game against the Eels where Locky runs on the whistle a sends a pin point cross kick for Kempy to score the winning try was just a treat to the senses!
We had another similar one against the Titans if I recall correctly.

A few thrillers against the Cowboys were pretty good as well, although you couldn't put them in the best Broncos games ever...

There's been some great nominations in this thread. redbur, you got us off to a really good start. I don't think the club could have made a stronger impression than flogging Manly in Brisbane. The others are definite classics.

GC always delivers the goods. Perhaps our most entertaining finals win of all time?

Out of my list, I'd still include the Round 23 clash against Melbourne. Between it and the grand final as one of our most performances of that season.

vertigo, you're a much braver man than me. I simply can't bear to sit through the elimination final again. The boys did a great job reminding me of their character after a trying week and for that I will always be grateful but to lose like we did was utterly heart wrenching. Error stats. are a little surprising but not by much really, I remember us blowing a lot of opportunities due to bad mistakes like Lockyer colliding with TC and losing the ball in support of Hodges who made a nice break, plus Clinton lost it twice fairly innocuously...then there is...Ashton...Sims...****...

In saying, while it wasn't a high quality game by any means, the theatre that night was amazing. Definitely a nomination, for the wrong reasons!

Porthoz knows how to pick a thread back up, how cathartic was the 71-6 win? The night before we were officially last on the ladder and the boys came out and demolished an admittedly ordinary Knights side. Honestly, I didn't care about the quality of the Knights team, I was just happy watching the boys throwing the ball around and enjoying their footy. Hodges, Hunt, Eastwood & TC were in some form that afternoon!

The two home games against the Titans in 07 and 08 were good spectacles. We were feeling the pinch with injuries in the first game yet came home with a wet sail and allowed Lockyer to kick one of the most absurd field goals of all time. I still remember sitting on the Western Stands and being unsure of it going over until the crowd went absolutely ballistic behind it. 08 was a really frustrating game, we started on fire with Wallace setting up Clinton for a very soft try but then a number of 50/50 and out-right controversial calls went the Titans way and we lost our composure. Remember that night well because my cousin's room mate scored one of our season tickets and he ran with this 'neutral' angle where he basically bagged the Broncos out all night and predicted every referee call that went the Titans way, even though he'd later admit there were a few dusty ones. Was a relief when Lockyer shaped to kick a field goal only to find Moon on the outside to score another 'clutch' victory.

I'll nominate a couple other games

1989 Panasonic Cup Final
1992 Grand Final
Brisbane vs. Newcastle 2002 @ ANZ
Baby Broncos 2002

1990 Reserve Grade Grand Final win.

The Broncos' essential games box set is due for release soon. They've done the Dragons, Dogs, Rabbits, Tigers, Knights and Eels.

1990- First finals win in history v Manly after being touched up against Penrith the week before- Izzard destroyed Kevvie.

1: First premiership game, smashing the defending premiers 44-10
2: 1993 grand final qualifier
3: The baby Broncos win of 2002
4: The 71-6 slaughter of Newcastle
5: 2006 preliminary final against the Bulldogs. I almost walked away at halftime becuase I thought we were beaten....and then

Hope 1910 is right that there is our version coming out. I've got the Canterbury and St George essentials pack and I really enjoy watching both of them. There is always at least 1 game on each from pack that I always want to see.

Active Now

• TimWhatley
  • Wolfie
  • Xzei
  • lynx000
  • eggstar10
  • Jazza
  • jd87
  • Bucking Beads
  • Midean
  • Sproj
  • Old Mate
  • Jedhead
  • HarryAllan7
  • Big Del
  • Aldo
  • MrTickyMcG
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bish
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.