Billy Slater vs Karmichael Hunt

Very different players, I'd still take karmicheal.

I'd have Hunt in my team over Slater. I think Hunt has a better all round game, while Slaters best is absolutely sensational his worst can cost you a game.

Should make it a poll, and a rule that any arguement about the two should be in this thread so other threads don't turn into a snoozefest like they usually do when Frank comes on to talk about Slater V Hunt.

Hunt over Slater.

This is just asking for trouble Coxy.
Since Karmichael never steps anymore and just runs straight at the defence, Billy has been a lot better at kick returns. His attack has been great this year too.
However I feel that K is better under the high ball and can cover a lot more positions than Billy (five-eighth, wing, lock, as well as fullback) and if I was running a ball at one of them I'd rather run at Slates. That's not to say that Billy can't defend as well, just that K has managed some big, big hits this season. I really doubt that Billy would've been smashing blokes like that in Origin 1 if he was defending in the line.
If I was picking a rep side I'd want both of them in there, but if I had to choose one I'd take Hunt, because when you weigh up their various attributes as fullbacks the two are pretty lineball, but Hunt has shown he can push up into lock or pivot if required.

I wonder how much longer Hunt can keep the Kamikaze charges up before he gets seriously hurt. The way Fitzgibbon was lining him up does not bode well for his long term future imo.

Slater is a better club footballer, where not as much is required of a player as in rep football. His job is to just run through holes and support other players. At rep football, a lot more is required of you. The defence is a lot tighter, so Slater's speed isn't anywhere as useful as it is in club football. Hunt has a more complete game suited for rep football though - even though he isn't as quick as Slater, he is 1000 times tougher, he gets involved a lot more in attack, he has passing and kicking skills, vision etc. And it shows - Hunt has had a much better rep career than Slater, and he is 3 or 4 years younger too.

So in the end - Slater > Hunt at club football (but really only when his team is doing well, so he looks better than he actually is since he plays for Melbourne). Hunt > Slater at rep football though, and that's where your talents are truly shown IMO.

I would take Hunt simply because he plays such a huge part in the team working together. Slater offers a lot in attack individually but I can see Hunt developing into a handy playmaker at the moment (while not at the same level of Lockyer etc, I think he will still do a very good job at this role in the future). Plus Hunt is incredibly cool under pressure. Sure he makes mistakes but so does every fullback. I would have Hunt at the back over any other fullback in the world at the moment.

Frank the Tank said:
Alec said:
Slater is a better club footballer, where not as much is required of a player as in rep football. His job is to just run through holes and support other players. At rep football, a lot more is required of you. The defence is a lot tighter, so Slater's speed isn't anywhere as useful as it is in club football. Hunt has a more complete game suited for rep football though - even though he isn't as quick as Slater, he is 1000 times tougher, he gets involved a lot more in attack, he has passing and kicking skills, vision etc. And it shows - Hunt has had a much better rep career than Slater, and he is 3 or 4 years younger too.

So in the end - Slater > Hunt at club football (but really only when his team is doing well, so he looks better than he actually is since he plays for Melbourne). Hunt > Slater at rep football though, and that's where your talents are truly shown IMO.
oh lordy, that the biggest piece of tripe ive read in a long time [icon_lol1.

I agree, Hunt is a much better club footballer.

The difference between Slater and Hunt is consistency.. Hunt has consistently been the best fullback last 3 years. Slater has 5-6 games of inform and the bandwagon is full.

Like someone said in this game, the difference is. Hunt rarely has a bad game and is as safe as a house.. Slater, sure sensational at his best but his worst is just shit.

Dear god Coxy... What have you done? Did you start this thread for your own amusement?? [icon_lol1.

Frank the Tank said:
lets look at slaters rep career...........

(thanks to wikipedia)
State of Origin:
- played game 1 on the wing
- played game 2 on the wing, scored 2 tries with one being up there with the best of all time, won Man of the Match award
- played game 3 on the wing

- played game 1 as fullback, which we won
- played game 2 as fullback, scored a length of the field try
- didnt play game 3

- played game 1 at fullback, made a match high 250m and 2 line breaks in a losing team
- played game 2 off the bench, made another line break and played well.
- played game 3 off the bench, had an absolute blinder and made another line break or 2. went very close to man of the match.

Tests: well hes only played one and his defence was brilliant without being overly great in attack.

and theres no doubt whos been the better club footballer - slater.
- wouldve won rookie of the year in 2003 had the awards been on.
- topped melbournes try scoring list with 20 in 2005
- despite missing lots of 2007 through injury he scored 8 tries from his last 9 appearances after coming back from injury
- been by far the best fullback in the comp so far in 2008 and easily one of the best players in the entire league.

and a good read: http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/storm/w ... 12205.html

stats show hes been the best fullback since the start of 2007.

What about 06 and 07 frank?

Frank the Tank said:

(thanks to wikipedia)
State of Origin:
- played game 1 on the wing
- played game 2 on the wing, scored 2 tries with one being up there with the best of all time, won Man of the Match award
- played game 3 on the wing

- played game 2 as fullback, scored a length of the field try
- didnt play game 3

- played game 1 at fullback, made a match high 250m and 2 line breaks in a losing team
- played game 2 off the bench, made another line break and played well.
- played game 3 off the bench, had an absolute blinder and made another line break or 2. went very close to man of the match.

Tests: well hes only played one and his defence was brilliant without being overly great in attack.

- wouldve won rookie of the year in 2003 had the awards been on.
- topped melbournes try scoring list with 20 in 2005
- despite missing lots of 2007 through injury he scored 8 tries from his last 9 appearances after coming back from injury
- been by far the best fullback in the comp so far in 2008 and easily one of the best players in the entire league.

I'd take Carige over Slater in a heartbeat.

Our opinions don't really count anyway, I would love to go and ask each first grade coach which fullback they would prefer though. They are both guns with great skills that bring different qualities to a team.

Last season and in 2005 the question was Hunt vs Bowen along much the same lines. I think the pattern is emerging that while Hunt does not have the sparkle of the Stewarts, Slaters and Bowens of the world, he has seen them all off through his sheer consistency.

Is he a game-breaker? Not likely. Is he a match-winner? Sometimes. Is he likely to cost a side a game? Never.

gUt said:
Last season and in 2005 the question was Hunt vs Bowen along much the same lines. I think the pattern is emerging that while Hunt does not have the sparkle of the Stewarts, Slaters and Bowens of the world, he has seen them all off through his sheer consistency.

Is he a game-breaker? Not likely. Is he a match-winner? Sometimes. Is he likely to cost a side a game? Never.

Yes, Hunt isn't a game-breaker. But that's not the only thing that's required of a fullback. What he offers can be compared to what players like Civo and Price offer - they aren't match winners, but they still do a very important job. They add more to the side than "game breakers" like Slater and Stewart, but unfortunately a lot of the general public only really notices the flashy players.

BTW I'm not disagreeing with you, just adding onto your post. icon_thumbs_u

Frank the Tank said:

(thanks to wikipedia)
State of Origin:
- played game 1 on the wing (lost)
- played game 3 on the wing (lost)

- played game 2 as fullback, scored a length of the field try (lost)
- didnt play game 3 (dropped?)

[b]06 - spent most of the year suspended[/b]

07 - slow start then injured would not have been selected on form

- played game 1 at fullback, made a match high 250m and 2 line breaks in a losing team (made to work, couldn't handle the tough stuff sorted out by NSW
- played game 2 off the bench, made another line break and played well. (Played well behind a dominant pack and rampaging backline, but Paul Carige would have looked good that night.)
- played game 3 off the bench, had an absolute blinder and made another line break or 2. went very close to man of the match. (Scored match sealing try on the only break he backed up the whole series and was only there cos he called Thurston to kick for him.)
Tests: well hes only played one and his defence was brilliant without being overly great in attack. (was ordinary)

- wouldve won rookie of the year in 2003 had the awards been on. ( your opinion only Hunt did win rookie of the year - topped melbournes try scoring list with 20 in 2005 (Hunt topped Broncos try scoring list in 04 as a 17 year old)[/size]- despite missing lots of 2007 through injury he scored 8 tries from his last 9 appearances after coming back from injury
- been by far the best fullback in the comp so far in 2008 and easily one of the best players in the entire league. (Lucky Locky was injured or would have found a wing spot at best)

Your stats are cherry picked to show what you want them to show They are 2 great players and not a split hair between them and rep selection will pretty well come down to what the coach wants from his side.

Active Now

• ostin86
  • Bucking Beads
  • Broncosarethebest
  • thenry
  • Skyblues87
  • Big Del
  • FACTHUNT
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Jason Simmons
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  • bb_gun
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.