Billy Slater wins RLIF Player of the Year

• Thread starter Anonymous person
  • Start date
Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
http://www.nrl.com/world-league-player-slater-credits-bellamy/tabid/10874/newsid/65383/default.aspx

"World league player Slater credits Bellamy

By Ian McCullough AAP Thu, Nov 03, 2011 - 1:59 PM

Billy Slater paid a glowing tribute to his club coach Craig Bellamy after scooping the International Rugby League Player of the Year award for a second time.

Slater, who also won in 2008, held off the challenge from Melbourne teammate Cameron Smith and New Zealand skipper Benji Marshall to take the top gong as NRL representatives swept every Rugby League International Federation award at a gala ceremony at the Tower of London.

The 28-year-old added the prize to the Dally M Medal he collected earlier this year as the Storm claimed the NRL minor premiership despite shedding big name players following their salary cap scandal.

Slater said he and the club owed a lot to Bellamy."

congratulations to him, and very much deserved.

Congrats to Billy. Personally, I would have given it to Smith but I can't really begrudge this decision.

Smith, Locky and Gallen are a little hard done by. This was probably Billy's worst year in a while IMO. The closeness of the first two Origin games can largely be attributed to the average form of both him and JT. He still set a solid standard, however how he can win this year yet miss out in both of the previous two seasons is beyond me.

I s'pose these awards will never please everyone. Well done to him.

The thing about awards is that there's always 5 or 6 players who deserve it, and that means people bitch that one of the 5 or 6 didn't get it :P

He won the biggest ####wit award as well, yay Billy.

Let go the hate, dude. He's not that bad.

Full results:

International Player of the year: Billy Slater.

Rookie of the year: Jharal Yow Yeh.

Coach of the year: Des Hasler

POSITIONAL AWARDS

Fullback: Billy Slater

Winger: Akuila Uate

Centre: Jamie Lyon

Stand-off: Benji Marshall

Halfback: Daly Cherry-Evans

Prop:
Matt Scott

Second rower: Sam Thaiday

Loose forward: Paul Gallen

Referee: Tony Archer

From: http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...lif-awards-night/story-e6frep5x-1226184402242

Says a lot for the game that every winner came from the NRL. There's usually a token ESL winner.

How could they ignore Scott Dureau for the Halfback position? :rash: :lol:

And Benji Marshall ahead of Maloney, Foran and Lockyer boggles the mind...

Slaters the first player to ever win this award twice too, thats quite the honour.

Hunt would have got it if he was still playing.

Slater deserves it, he keeps getting better.

I thought they changed the name of the award to the Stewart brothers perpetual dickheads award

Good on him, he's one of the few Melbourne players I like, a lot.

He's an amazing player and an amazing guy too, he's genuine, honest and a clean player.
I would have him in a heratbeat if he wanted to come, easily one of the best and most consistent players in the game.

Are these awards based solely on international rep matches? If so, why they would select them with 3/4 of the four nations tournament still to be played is beyond me.

Unread

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Ondi
  • Lurker
  • Midean
  • TimWhatley
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Culhwch
  • broncsgoat
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • Dash
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.