PLAYER Billy Walters

What role should Billy Walters play?

• Total voters
Thank you for clarifying your position, shed.

There are a couple of points here I'm still having trouble with.

You say there are multiple people to blame, yet you largely just blame Billy and Kev. Shouldn't you blame Cory Paix? If he was as good as you say he is (eg 'significantly, easily), wouldn't that be a commonly held opinion?

I want Paix to be successful and develop into a quality #9 but he hasn't shown anything other than promise. I wish I could agree with you that Paix outplayed Billy in that Tigers game and he retained the form he showed against the Bulldogs, but it was clear Paix wasn't the same after the Raiders performance.
No worries, Pete. Happy to further clarify.

I definitely didn’t intend to lay the blame at Billy’s feet. He’s the last person to blame for our dummy half woes. He’s the symptom not the disease in this case. Blame Kev, Ikin, Dave, Scanlon, O’Sullivan, White, Seibold, or Bennett. Someone needed to stop it from getting to this point.

On Paix, don’t confuse being the best at a position with being the most in form. I think Paix and Billy’s form was similar but imo Paix is the more equiped of the 2.

Paix did decline a bit after the Raiders game, but for mine he was still a better option than Turpin.

I also don't think Paix would have been able to perform as well if we didn't have Walters starting.
Very much agree with this.

All the billy Walters hate on here is crazy when kev Walters biggest error was continuing to select Turpin, not billy. Billy wasn't a game breaker but he more than did his job. Turpin had 1 or 2 ok ish games but overall he was a complete handbreak on our attack, and he wasn't exactly stopping us getting flogged in defence so what was the point of his "defensive skills"..

I'd guess he's on 180k-200k x 2 years. Fair price for the utility and experience he provides.

You can't have too much backup in the halves/9 and he can play both those roles hopefully for 2024 he's strictly injury cover but he'll be featuring a lot next year.

I'd guess he's on 180k-200k x 2 years. Fair price for the utility and experience he provides.

You can't have too much backup in the halves/9 and he can play both those roles hopefully for 2024 he's strictly injury cover but he'll be featuring a lot next year.
With who we have I think it’s have to be Paix off the bench to begin with and whoever performs better out of Billy and the new bloke for starting 9.

Hope the other options impress enough that Walters doesn't have to play more than 1/4 of the season.

absolutely agree.

although Billy is a handy 14. which is all he was originally signed to be (utility/fringe) ... unfortunately due to form/fitness he was required to be our number 1 hooker this year.

Pure speculation
Eye roll all you want but please show me any comment made by anyone at the club that Billy was signed as “depth / utility”.

Kev and Billy both spoke about him having to work hard in the preseason to keep the 6.

I’m not saying he wasn’t signed as depth but it is purely speculation and it was presented above as fact

Eye roll all you want but please show me any comment made by anyone at the club that Billy was signed as “depth / utility”.

Kev and Billy both spoke about him having to work hard in the preseason to keep the 6.

I’m not saying he wasn’t signed as depth but it is purely speculation and it was presented above as fact
He was named on the bench in the first trial (Unsigned Tyrone Roberts was named at halfback for this game) and then at halfback in the 2nd which was obviously Reynolds’ spot.

Paix was named hooker for both games. Hilariously Walters outperformed most players and was getting praise from BHQ for these games, hence earning his spot which is entirely how those trials should work.

He was named on the bench in the first trial (Unsigned Tyrone Roberts was named at halfback for this game) and then at halfback in the 2nd which was obviously Reynolds’ spot.

Paix was named hooker for both games. Hilariously Walters outperformed most players and was getting praise from BHQ for these games, hence earning his spot which is entirely how those trials should work.

But he only played good in the trials because his Dad told him to play good, and hence secure his spot in the 17 and justify his signing.

Cobbo was fullback and Patty was prop. My point isn’t that he didn’t play well or deserve to get picked. My point was that Foordy presented speculation as fact yet everyone smashes McHunt for speculating.

Cobbo was fullback and Patty was prop. My point isn’t that he didn’t play well or deserve to get picked. My point was that Foordy presented speculation as fact yet everyone smashes McHunt for speculating.
Because McHunt has history of being wildly incorrect literally every single time.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Porthoz
  • Mustafur
  • Spoon
  • Broncosgirl
  • broncotville
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.