PLAYER Billy Walters

What role should Billy Walters play?

• Total voters
Good points.

Although, it was a bit like watching Mark Riddell take off down the sideline, at least that’s what I thought.

I was absolutely gobsmacked when Cobbo didn’t reel him at a rate like he was actually chasing Piggy. The bloke has got wheels, got to give him that.
yeah spy has put some kegs on but he's always been a speedster, Cobbo didn't do himself any favours but spry did explode onto the ball.

spry is no slouch and Cobbo was very slow to react and couldn't reel him in. I'm more concerned with the way Staggs and Cobbo let their opposites get on their outside, when it shouldn't have been allowed.
It was the first time they had played together, give them some time to get a rhythm.

It was the first time they had played together, give them some time to get a rhythm.
happy to give them some time but they need to learn quickly because first graders will make them look even worse.

spry is no slouch and Cobbo was very slow to react and couldn't reel him in. I'm more concerned with the way Staggs and Cobbo let their opposites get on their outside, when it shouldn't have been allowed.
Dont worry about that trials mean nothing and tell us even less... I'm sure they'll be on point and cutting blokes in half from round 1 ... she'll be right 👍👍

Walters is the most NRL ready, but if we have Walters and Reynolds in the halves we need more spark on the bench than Turpin or Gamble.

6 Billy Walters
7 Adam Reynolds
9 Corey Paix
14 Ezra Mam

Walters can move to hooker for a bit when Paix needs a break I guess

You know what, you’re right.

You should email all the clubs in the NRL and tell them they’re all wasting their time and money playing pointless pre-season trials. Don’t stop there though, get in touch with all the other high-end administrators of sporting organisations around the world to let them in on your bombshell revelation.

RE: Cobbo. Maybe he should, who knows. Perhaps he picked up a niggling injury in the All Stars and needs time in Cup to build his strength and confidence back up.

If that were the case, wouldn’t it be lucky we’ve got these games that mean nothing to find such things out.
Yeah, that's not what I said at all. Way to majorly over-react though, same as your reaction to trial form, so it makes sense.

Yeah, that's not what I said at all. Way to majorly over-react though, same as your reaction to trial form, so it makes sense.
Well here’s your chance, enlighten me - what did you mean when you said:
Wow. A lot of big decisions being made from trials against teams full of QC players.
And more particularly:
Yeah they are super important, that's why all clubs field such strong sides.

Well here’s your chance, enlighten me - what did you mean when you said:

And more particularly:
Big decisions shouldn't be made from trials. People were happy to lock in Kelly at 6, then he has 40mins poor in a trial and all of a sudden he's plagued and can't be picked. Someone showing half a game of good form against 50/50 NRL/QC sides really shouldn't be getting them locked into a spine position, although that could say more about how poor Brisbane are for 6's than trial form relevance.

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I thought I was watching a throwback Titans game and it was Dave Taylor making a break down the short side.
Never seen a winger with a build like that before in my life (and that includes Wendell when he came back to Dragons)
I rewatched a big chunk of the game this afternoon. Cobbo looked out of breath and sluggish in general. Billy mentioned some of the boys were struggling with their fitness after Covid. Maybe Selwyn was one of them. He looked in no condition to play fullback.

I can’t speak for everyone, but I know I’d much prefer our players look like they’re in good form through the trials rather than looking like they’ve never met the bloke standing next to them, as has been the case the last few years (both during the trials and the season).
I remember during the Seibold regime our trial form was dog shit. We all said it’s all good, trial form means nothing.

I rewatched a big chunk of the game this afternoon. Cobbo looked out of breath and sluggish in general. Billy mentioned some of the boys were struggling with their fitness after Covid. Maybe Selwyn was one of them. He looked in no condition to play fullback.
very possible but when Cobbo got beat so did Staggs before him which sucked Cobbo in , hopefully long covid isn't the issue.

I think it is only fair Paix now gets the nod for 9.
Kevvie said the trials are a shoot out for every position on the field with only Payne, Adam & Kotoni safe. Now that it looks like Billy will get the 6 on trial and preseason form (deserved) it is now only fair Paix gets first shot at 9.

Kevvie said the trials are a shoot out for every position on the field with only Payne, Adam & Kotoni safe. Now that it looks like Billy will get the 6 on trial and preseason form (deserved) it is now only fair Paix gets first shot at 9.
Paix played well and Turpin is a plodder but Paix can’t play 80 minutes so if you play him at hooker it would make sense to play him off the bench which means Turpin has to start imo

Paix played well and Turpin is a plodder but Paix can’t play 80 minutes so if you play him at hooker it would make sense to play him off the bench which means Turpin has to start imo
Id actually go the other way and let Paix start, have the first 20-30mins, let Turpin come on before half time and start the second half, then bring Paix back on for a second stint in the second half.
Turps just hasn’t got anything in attack unfortunately, whilst he can defend, we really need some creativity and someone to jump on the back of the meters our forwards can make.

My biggest concern with Bubble-O at 6 is it's going to be hard for Kevvie to drop him, and let's be honest here: he might be our best contender, but we're not after someone who scrapes into the NRL; we're after a premiership winning five-eighth. That's why I'd like to see him on the bench, and stay there. Mam at 6, Billy to the rescue if it falls to shit.

Is he Cody Walker, Jarome Luai, Cameron Munster, Nathan Cleary, Keiran Foran, Daly Cherry-Evans class? Because Adam is here to serve his star five-eighth - who needs to be a match-winner in his own right - not babysit them.

I don't think so. I think he's just good enough to raise our standards off the bottom of the table.
I'm not saying b Walters is Cody walker but Cody walker was a 26(?) Year old nrl rookie journeyman when Reynolds was tasked with "babysitting" him...

Good point. Never thought of this... kevvie might be protecting him a bit...

I know everyone is thinking niu isn't back till round 3 or 4 but it's a grade 2 hamstring. He's a very slim chance of round 1, it'd be 4 weeks. Grade 2 hamstrings are normally 4-6 weeks.

That CAN'T be right!
I have it on very good authority that you can't make big decisions based on trials.
Gee whiz guys, we are in trouble....Kev's way out of his depth :rofl

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • Aldo
  • Volvo Driver
  • Dash
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.