Blair: I don't want to leave Brisbane

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
BRONCOS enforcer Adam Blair has revealed that he does not want to leave the club, but may have no other choice because of the salary cap squeeze.

Brisbane confirmed last week that their star prop had been given permission to consider offers from other clubs, despite the fact he is contracted to the Broncos until the end of next season.

With teams like the Warriors and Dragons both interested in Blair’s services for the future, the Kiwi captain has been weighing up his options for the future.

It is understood the Broncos have given him some idea of what kind of contract he could expect from the club if he stayed on to play in 2019, but it is not a deal that is worth much because of the number of players they have already re-signed.

Blair, a father of two, says while he loves the Broncos and their culture, he has to do what is best for his family.

“This is a great club and I’ve said all along that I don’t want to leave,” Blair said.

“There’s some good players here and some great staff. But there’s a cap and they can only spend what they can afford. At times people have to leave.

“They’ve given me an opportunity to go out there and have a look around. They’re doing a good thing by me. At the same time they don’t want me to go.

“I don’t want to go but that’s what the cap does to some players sometimes.”

Blair said he has not had any conversations around his future similar to that of Sam Thaiday, who has been told he will not be at Red Hill beyond 2018.

The 31-year-old said he has also not even considered retirement and that is why his next move is so important.

If he was to stay with Brisbane, he could be looking at finishing his career at the end of 2019.

If he chose to move on, he could secure himself a three or four year deal elsewhere.

“(Retirement) hasn’t even crossed my mind,” Blair said.

“I’m enjoying myself and this club gives you the opportunity to enjoy yourself. We’re well looked after with our welfare, on and off the field and our families are looked after.

“That’s the hardest thing, is to leave this place. I have to weigh up my options and start thinking about life after footy as well. I have to sit down and have a big hard think about it.”

Meanwhile, fellow Brisbane forward Joe Ofahengaue will miss three games in the lead-up to this year’s finals series, after he yesterday took the early guilty plea for a dangerous throw.

The Broncos decided not to fight the grade-three charge for the incident in Saturday’s win over the Titans, in which Ofahengaue up-ended Max King.

Jai Arrow and George Fai shape as the best replacements for Ofahengaue on the bench.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport...t/news-story/f117bc6385e97e3708145d407eeca0a1

I'd love to keep him for 2018 at least

The Titans game on the weekend was actually pretty tough for the first 20 minutes, the Titans maybe even had the better of it, and Blair was the best player on the field

Surely we could rustle up a boat or two on the other cap

Would definitely prefer to keep him for another year. One more year of an experienced forward who does the little things right. One more year of rookies learning off him. Hopefully by 2019 we'd then have someone like Joe or Pangai ready to lock down a starting spot.

Just offer to pay him 500k per year for 4 years, after he retires, to empty the bins at the admin office or something

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised if this sort of stuff happened

We dont want you to leave either Blair. Let's work something out, doesn't have to be this way.

We dont want you to leave either Blair. Let's work something out, doesn't have to be this way.

Surely the broncs can work something out for him. He's just 100% a broncos player and is the forwards spiritual leader. Don't let this be Petero 2.0

Surely the broncs can work something out for him. He's just 100% a broncos player and is the forwards spiritual leader. Don't let this be Petero 2.0

As of now it's closer to like, 25% Broncos.

I feel as though there are bigger things at play here. All is not what it seems.

I feel as though there are bigger things at play here. All is not what it seems.

Well we would hope so because we're getting a little light in the front row department.

Well this story being out there makes it pretty clear to anyone else in negotiations there's not much money left.

Otherwise perhaps Thaiday's attitude has been I'm sticking around long term and am going to play for a new deal. If Bennett wants him off the cap for '18 (which I think is the case) this is one way to indirectly let him know there's no money to play for.

Otherwise hard to know the motivation? I suppose it's more articles about Blair this week, less about our premiership credentias after a big win... But this story started before we caned the titans. Although I guess it did come out around the same time we dropped out of the four; so other things to distract the players and media from.

Bennett sending the media off on another tangent, meanwhile our biggest win in years is glossed over, and the form of some of our most important players in the team is peaking at the correct part of the year?

Or are you saying we're making a play for a bigger fish? Bennett thinks very highly of Blair, so it's unlikely we let him go without a fight...

Active Now

• Mister Wright
  • Big Del
  • Xzei
  • Foordy
  • broncsgoat
  • Lurker
  • Wolfie
  • RolledOates
  • kiwibronco
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.