Boxing / MMA Thread

mitch222

State of Origin Rep
Apr 4, 2014
Threads
Askren was a world champion in multiple organisations outside of the UFC. If he joined UFC in his prime, he would have been a title contender, and most likely a champion.
ONE and Bellator are hardly ones to write home about especially 10 years ago. Fact is, if Askren was as good as he makes out to be, he would have been cashing in on the UFC money where he would have made a shit ton more than Bellator and ONE. He isn't like Fedor and was in Europe fighting all the time.

BooKhaki

NRL Player
Sep 16, 2020
Threads
ONE and Bellator are hardly ones to write home about especially 10 years ago. Fact is, if Askren was as good as he makes out to be, he would have been cashing in on the UFC money where he would have made a shit ton more than Bellator and ONE. He isn't like Fedor and was in Europe fighting all the time.
No, Dana White didn't sign him because he is a boring fighter. He got brought in eventually because he started talking shit more publicly, and the UFC wanted to get rid of DJ, because he was also boring and in a weight class nobody cares about. Surely you realise that Bellator/One pay more money to their fighters than majority of the people in the UFC. Obviously the biggest stars are getting huge unmatched dollars in the UFC, but your other guys who leave UFC get massive pay bumps when leaving to join rival organizations like Bellator/BKFC/One etc

Wolfie

International Rep
Jan 14, 2015
Threads
Besides Colby who deserves respect as he is top fighter in his division, the other two you just mentioned are either way past it (McGregor should have retired 3 years ago) or never had it to begin with (Askrens sole highlight in mma is taking a knee to the head off Masvidal)

Conor isnt way past it. He's only 33 and should be in his prime really. His issue is he has lost his focus and has got distracted with boxing and getting filthy rich. He's more than capable of getting back to the top, but i doubt he will because i dont think he is willing to take a step back and work his way back to the top level. He's fought so little in MMA for years now its going to be difficult to justify just throwing him back in to the top level talk. He wasnt great in his second fight aginst Poirier, but the third fight i'm kind of discounting even though he did lose because it was just a freak injury.

The big issue i'm seeing with Conor is what weight is he going to be fighting at. If he stays at lightweight, i think somebody like Dan Hooker or dos Anjos make sense to see where he is at. Both good fighters but not great ones. He's got to be bulking up for a reason though you would think.

Xzei

NRL Player
Mar 13, 2017
Threads
Fedor hardly fighting top fighters in europe either tbh
Randleman and coleman probably his best wins

Big Del

QCup Player
Apr 22, 2017
Threads
Fedor hardly fighting top fighters in europe either tbh
Randleman and coleman probably his best wins
Big Nog , Cro Cop . Where bigger . I don`t rate Randleman and Coleman was past his prime once head buts were disallowed .

mitch222

State of Origin Rep
Apr 4, 2014
Threads
Same goes for Israel adesanya. Hopefully Whitaker can beat him in the rematch.
I think Bobby Knuckles will do that too. He has shown in numerous fights he can change his style up and adapt to certain fights. I think he will wrestle him a lot more this time around especially after seeing the way Jan dominated Adesanya on the ground.

GKDonkey

State of Origin Rep
Feb 28, 2016
Threads
No
Woodley is a wrestler. Jake Paul picked him as an opponent for a good reason.
Shows how smart the Paul guys are in terms of building their brand and entertainment. You have to pick well, getting knocked out isn't good for your brand

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
Apr 9, 2012
Threads
Paul Gallen - "Whether it's No Limit refusing to or (Lussick) refusing to, it's not going to happen. So it's at a point now where I've just got to switch on to the fight - I feel like I've been complaining for months."

Months?

Try years Paul ...years! :rofl

Wolfie

International Rep
Jan 14, 2015
Threads
Big KO by Paul. He can certainly punch, but they both look like amateurs in that fight. Its like watching two drunk blokes wildly swing at each other with their eyes closed. 4 rounds in they were both gassed. Any half competent boxer would pick either of these blokes apart.

GKDonkey

State of Origin Rep
Feb 28, 2016
Threads
Man, i still think something stinks with these Jake Paul fights. Woodley had him in trouble then backed off.
Woodley doesn't seem like a boxer at all. Isn't cold blooded enough.

That was a shit fight except for one punch realistically.

Wolfie

International Rep
Jan 14, 2015
Threads
Woodley doesn't seem like a boxer at all. Isn't cold blooded enough.

That was a shit fight except for one punch realistically.
It was so poor. No technical ability. I think Wilder has better footwork than Paul.

Paul does what he does well. He has to know he cant box, but he's creating hype and making money from it. He''s calling out blokes now like Diaz and Masvidal, both 75/77 kg fighters ( not boxers either ) for fights. Paul is cruiserweight, so up around that 90kg mark i'd think. He wont go anywhere near a real, established boxer. If he was as interested in proving himself as he says he is why not look at somebody like Badou Jack. Not a young fighter, but still a decent cruiser weight. He could even try to show the world he isnt all mouth by looking at Tommy Mccarthy. We all know he wont though. He will never get any respect while he fights washed up MMA fighters.

GKDonkey

State of Origin Rep
Feb 28, 2016
Threads
Tommy fury couldve beaten Jake, would've been a better test for Jake. But clearly fury is a bitch.

That right hand pretty much saved Jake Paul's boxing career imo, at least interest in it. It was a crap fight, not many actual decent punches thrown so he needed to ko Woodley to keep generating interest.

Props for him for creating so much interest in boxing from the youths of today but yehh..

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Threads
Apparently Jake Paul proved his doubters wrong by knocking out Woodley. That's all I'm seeing over social media.

**** off. He knocked out an MMA fighter in a boxing match. Paul was bad and any other professional boxer that's actually good would have killed him.

Wolfie

International Rep
Jan 14, 2015
Threads
Apparently Jake Paul proved his doubters wrong by knocking out Woodley. That's all I'm seeing over social media.

**** off. He knocked out an MMA fighter in a boxing match. Paul was bad and any other professional boxer that's actually good would have killed him.
And an aging, much smaller MMA fighter at that.

It was funny though when Woodley picked him up though and almost dropped him on his head.

Latest posts

Who should be captain?

• Herbie Farnworth

• Kotoni Staggs

• Jake Turpin

• Patrick Carrigan

• Payne Haas

• Adam Reynolds

• Billy Walters

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlivaBraze

Members online

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.