Boyd - I'm trying too hard

Of course Bennett had a huge say in the contract. Every other coach at every other club does. Why would this situation be any different? I love Bennett and what he did for us btw but it was time to move on, we were going downhill.
I sort of like the new direction some clubs are going where the football manager / board have more say with recruitment and salaries etc. As influencial as bellamy is, panisi is the one who gets a lot of the guys, manages the cap etc and deals with it. Same at the Dragons, Mary gives his thoughts etc. But most of the recruitment and retention is done by their panel. He has spoken about this a couple of times highlighting how little he has to do with it.

I think this method works well as it removes some of the personal bias between coach and player. Bennett is clearly in love with Darius so was always gonna pay him more than he's worth. He just really has to retire. The Instagram, Facebook and at the game everyone wants him gone. As a 15 year season member, most of the people who sit near me have been there for 5+ years and we all talk at the games. Everyone within 20 seats of me actually "boos" boyd when his name comes up on the screen... These are people paying $750 a year for their ticket... I've never experienced so much discontent towards a player at ones own club, let alone their captain...

I was willing to cut Boyd some slack in previous seasons.

The hamstring injury was taking a toll on him and mentally he was struggling, but this year he is meant to be over all that.

I definitely blame him for both tries Walker scored.

Perhaps TPJ got in his way but where was the communication? Where was the urgency?

The moment those balls were kicked he should have communicated they were his and been straight on them like flies on shit. Cleaning up those kicks is his job as a fullback. He failed.

To change things up I'd move Boyd into centre swapping him with Birdy. Oates would do nothing but catch and a combination weights and aerobic exercise programme. I mean he would have to catch 5,000 balls in the 7 days between games, the football flung by a machine and Oates running to get them. It would be humiliating and productive. I wouldn't change Milford and Dearden but I would tell his minders to forget about providing extra help.

Sounds good insofar that running kick returns from the back would give Bird the opportunity to wind up to a gallop rather than having to trot across the field to link up with Oates. But what's he like under the high ball?

Sadly, I think Milford is toast at five-eighth. It just hasn't worked. We are seriously talking about an 18 year old with 1 game under his belt telling him what to do. The only other place to put him is fullback. Seibold has to try that because he's being stifled there.

Last edited:
Sounds good insofar that running kick returns from the back would give Bird the opportunity to wind up to a gallop rather than having to trot across the field to link up with Oates. But what's he like under the high ball?

Sadly, I think Milford is toast at five-eighth. It just hasn't worked. The only other place to put him is fullback. Seibold has to try that because he's being stifled there.

Too bad we just gave our only other 5\8 away. Otherwise it could have been a possibility. I would give Milf a chance with Dearden before writing it off.

Sadly, I think Milford is toast at five-eighth. It just hasn't worked. We are seriously talking about an 18 year old with 1 game under his belt telling him what to do. The only other place to put him is fullback. Seibold has to try that because he's being stifled there.
Bird is a total footballer, good at everything. He'd do a fine job in absolutely any position including front row! Kidding about the frontrow but only because his body is too little, his heart would eat it up. Milford has only the halves to choose from, he just isn't up to anything else now. He's a dreadful tackler and one last night made me want to scream out in despair.

The hamstring injury was taking a toll on him and mentally he was struggling, but this year he is meant to be over all that.

Perhaps TPJ got in his way but where was the communication? Where was the urgency?

The moment those balls were kicked he should have communicated they were his and been straight on them like flies on shit. Cleaning up those kicks is his job as a fullback. He failed.
I agree. Everyone makes mistakes, but when its happening every week, and sometimes multiple times a game, its no longer a mistake but poor play.

Thats what bothers me when people defend Hunt in the GF. I don't get mad about the knock on, it was the 10 minutes before that, and that was the icing on the cake.

Spot on. I'm not copping the 'TPJ got in the way' excuse. At no stage in either play did TPJ get between Boyd and the ball. Boyd had a direct line to the ball and should have made the play regardless of what TPJ was doing.

The first one was a **** of a bounce, but if Boyd has showed any urgency at all the bounce would have been a non-issue. The second one wasn't even a poor bounce and the lack of attack on the ball was unforgivable.

Bird is a total footballer, good at everything. He'd do a fine job in absolutely any position including front row! Kidding about the frontrow but only because his body is too little, his heart would eat it up. Milford has only the halves to choose from, he just isn't up to anything else now. He's a dreadful tackler and one last night made me want to scream out in despair.
My only issue with Bird at fullback is if he is fit enough... But if that was an issue, I'm sure he could rotate with Isaako or something if absolutely required. I mean, our current fullback doesn't do any support plays whatsoever, so as long as he defended well and returned the ball a bit harder it would be an improvement.

For mine, Boyd has his priorities back to front. The big picture which is now the bleeding obvious is that what counts, what's it's all about is not about him, it's about the team.

I think by the end of the season the Milf / Dearden combo will be going well. As much as I didn't like Ben Hunt, he did take a lot of pressure of Milford with kicking and general directing of play. Milford was one of the best players in the comp in 2015, and even in 2016 was very good. I think he can get back to that with a halfback that will help.

You need to remember, Milford hasn't had anyone to rely on... Boyd doesn't really help or take any pressure off the play makers, nor does he draw defenders off milford. Similarly Macca doesn't threaten the line much. As most of the time Milford and Nikorima have stuck to one side each, it's very predictable for the defence.

If Milford is still struggling with Dearden, and if we change our fullback, then yeah move him on eventually, But I think wait until we actually have a spine to support him.

The only spine players who could probably do okay, and only 'okay' with the other 3 members of our spine would be Cam Smith, Cronk and maybe Luke Keary. Any other half / hooker would really struggle I think.

I've said it before, for mine, Fullback is the most important position in the modern game. Starts your sets off, last line of defence, helps communicate your defensive line and takes A LOT of pressure off your halves when they are just running near the ball looking for offloads / creating options.

For mine, Boyd has his priorities back to front. The big picture which is now the bleeding obvious is that what counts, what's it's all about is not about him, it's about the team.
To cut boyd some slack, it appears as though daddy wayne has told him its all about him his entire career...

Too bad we just gave our only other 5\8 away. Otherwise it could have been a possibility. I would give Milf a chance with Dearden before writing it off.

The trouble with that is you're not only asking Dearden to lift his game to NRL standard, you're asking him to lead the most prestigious club's highest paid player around the park after only a few games in the QLD Cup.

Talk about a hospital pass.

I think by the end of the season the Milf / Dearden combo will be going well. As much as I didn't like Ben Hunt, he did take a lot of pressure of Milford with kicking and general directing of play. Milford was one of the best players in the comp in 2015, and even in 2016 was very good. I think he can get back to that with a halfback that will help.

You need to remember, Milford hasn't had anyone to rely on... Boyd doesn't really help or take any pressure off the play makers, nor does he draw defenders off milford. Similarly Macca doesn't threaten the line much. As most of the time Milford and Nikorima have stuck to one side each, it's very predictable for the defence.

If Milford is still struggling with Dearden, and if we change our fullback, then yeah move him on eventually, But I think wait until we actually have a spine to support him.

The only spine players who could probably do okay, and only 'okay' with the other 3 members of our spine would be Cam Smith, Cronk and maybe Luke Keary. Any other half / hooker would really struggle I think.

I've said it before, for mine, Fullback is the most important position in the modern game. Starts your sets off, last line of defence, helps communicate your defensive line and takes A LOT of pressure off your halves when they are just running near the ball looking for offloads / creating options.

Tell me you wouldn't like to see this dude hanging off Dearden every time he had the ball in his hand:

The trouble with that is you're not only asking Dearden to lift his game to NRL standard, you're asking him to lead the most prestigious club's highest paid player around the park after only a few games in the QLD Cup.

Talk about a hospital pass.
Dearden wouldn't steer Milford around. Dearden gets forwards in the right spot and plays first receiver. Milford calls the ball when he wants it. It's asking Dearden to be Shane Perry. Yes he's only 18, but he has always been the dominant half, Milford hasn't.

Does Dearden have the same lethal running game as Milford? from what i've seen, not even close. It's a completely different role and it is one dearden is familiar with from all his junior footy, and his qcup footy. It will take time, but from what ive seen he can do it.

Tell me you wouldn't like to see this dude hanging off Dearden every time he had the ball in his hand:

Tannah Boyd does look good, that's probably why hes got a contract. But from what the club has seen, obviously Dearden is looking better and thats why he has a shot.

I'm sure tannah boyd will get a shot at some stage, But i'm not ready to give up on Milford. He's actually been fairly good this year, at least in the effort areas. I'm excited to see him when he doesn't have to carry the the rest of the spine.

Long term, I'd still like to see us sign a gun half. Pair him with Dearden (to also help him learn), and move Milf to fullback (now that Kodi is gone for sure).

Last edited:
Long term, I'd still like to see us sign a gun half. Pair him with Dearden (to also help him learn), and move Milf to fullback (now that Kodi is gone for sure).
Milford hasn't played fullback in 5 years. He's not going back to fullback.

Tannah Boyd does look good, that's probably why hes got a contract. But from what the club has seen, obviously Dearden is looking better and thats why he has a shot.

I'm sure tannah boyd will get a shot at some stage, But i'm not ready to give up on Milford. He's actually been fairly good this year, at least in the effort areas. I'm excited to see him when he doesn't have to carry the the rest of the spine.

The thing is: Milford is an elusive freak in the Matt Bowen, Preston Campbell, Benji Marshall vein. We've seen none of that this year, and **** all since he's been in the halves. Seems like Nikorima's been fingered as the fall guy for that. Not sure I'm convinced about that. It wasn't Nikorima's fault he's been doing those useless bombs to the left hand side three out of four plays.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • Santa
  • Financeguy
  • Jazza
  • Mister Wright
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Sproj
  • Dash
  • Battler
  • jd87
  • Lurker
  • winslow_wong
  • BroncoFan94
  • Allo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Johnny92
  • bb_gun
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Broncos Maestro
  • cento
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.