Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
53609 39 1

Boyd impressed Bennett as Brisbane captain

December 17, 2017

Wayne Bennett admits the leadership of Darius Boyd exceeded his own expectations in his first year as captain and insists the Brisbane Broncos fullback is on track to put his hamstring injury behind him.

The 30-year-old fullback, who has signed a contract extension at Brisbane until the end 2021, has outlined to NRL.com just how he came to grips with the captaincy role and why he is urging teammates not to let another shot at a Telstra Premiership slip through the club’s fingers.

Boyd has seen highs and the lows on and off the field and Bennett said his life experience gave him the understanding for others that leadership required.

“I was very impressed and I thought Darius did a great job as captain, a lot better than I thought he would in his first year,” Bennett said.

“Darius did a lot of things away from the field that no-one saw except me.

“He would have learned a lot about people. He knows a bit about himself. Darius is one who’s had his own battles so he would have a lot of empathy for people, and leadership requires you to have empathy.

“If you don’t have empathy in leadership it makes it very difficult, and Darius understands that better than most.”

Boyd learned quickly all players were different and handled various situations in their own way. His attention to detail and regimented preparation routine translates to the field.

It took a month to get his head around the fact he has flashy, skilful teammates like Anthony Milford and James Roberts who have a different approach to success and how they go about their business.

“Early on I was, not pushy, but I knew how to succeed get the best out of myself and probably thought that was the way other people needed to be too,” Boyd said.

“So it took me a month to understand everyone’s personalities and what they need on the field. Some need encouragement and others need reinforcement.

“We have a lot of skilful players in the team whereas I am more of a conservative player and person. In those first five rounds we played some tough teams and didn’t score many points. Then against the Roosters we went with the flow and let everyone play their natural game a bit more and eased up.

“That was another focus for the rest of the season – to let the skilful players do their thing and have the senior guys hold the fort with the conservative game management style.”

Assistant coach Jason Demetriou said Boyd’s ability to lead by example was rubbing off on his teammates.

“With the good leaders, their best asset is often the ability to self-reflect and show their teammates they are prepared to own mistakes and work through them,” he said.

“Players respond to people who lead with their actions, as Darius does, but also show that they are human.

“Darius is a shining light in that for us. We beat the Roosters in round six convincingly when were under a lot of pressure and his leadership that week was second to none. The players responded and it set us on the way to winning the next six straight.”

Boyd is reminding his Broncos comrades they are close to the summit after last season’s top-four finish but there were no guarantees next year.

“You can always be better at anything. That is my line of thinking,” he said.

“I was happy with how I went as captain in my first year. There were lessons learned along the way but I think I got better as the year went on.

“We have an outstanding squad again for the 2018 season and the last three years we have probably had the team to win the comp.

“Every year that we don’t is a disappointment and an opportunity lost.

“It is something us older guys are constantly talking to the younger ones about and encouraging them to make the most of every opportunity, because these opportunities don’t come around that often.

“You can say another one slipped again this year, so we have to start from scratch again, have a good season and put ourselves in a strong position come finals time.”

Boyd is in good shape in his recovery from a hamstring issue and said he was enjoying his time in rehab to work individually on areas of his body which needed attention.

“He is a good athlete, Darius, and does everything right,” Bennett said.

“[Hamstrings] can always come back and bite you but there is no reason to say it will be a problem for him in the future.”

Source: NRL.com

Boyd has gone to a new level as both a player and a man since he returned to the Broncos.

When he was a discarded centre all these years ago, who saw him growing to have such an impact on the game at all levels.

Bennett must of not have seen that after every single time Boyd got tackled he spent 30 seconds sooking to the refs for a penalty even after the play the ball. Doing things like that make a great captain

Don’t want to be too negative, but Bennett must have had pretty low expectations if they were exceeded.
It’s not like he’s a pimply-faced kid that’s been thrown the captaincy. He’s a seasoned veteran that has been involved in some amazing teams with some fantastic leaders.
Personally I’d have to be feeling pretty generous to give him more than a pass mark at best.

Bennett must of not have seen that after every single time Boyd got tackled he spent 30 seconds sooking to the refs for a penalty even after the play the ball. Doing things like that make a great captain
A doting parent often blind, lol

Don’t want to be too negative, but Bennett must have had pretty low expectations if they were exceeded.
It’s not like he’s a pimply-faced kid that’s been thrown the captaincy. He’s a seasoned veteran that has been involved in some amazing teams with some fantastic leaders.
Personally I’d have to be feeling pretty generous to give him more than a pass mark at best.
I don't expect Wayne to be critical of Boyd (don't think he ever has been tbh), but this shows he cannot be objective about Darius, whom had his worst season ever as a Bronco.

As much as he deserved the captaincy after the last 2 years, he dropped the ball big time in 2017.

Just because he personally had his worst year in the last 3, doesn’t mean that he failed as a captain. Despite his own injuries, despite the team’s injuries, we still made the top 4. He’ll get better as a captain too, Bennett is just saying that he did better than he thought he would in his first year as cap.

Just because he personally had his worst year in the last 3, doesn’t mean that he failed as a captain. Despite his own injuries, despite the team’s injuries, we still made the top 4. He’ll get better as a captain too, Bennett is just saying that he did better than he thought he would in his first year as cap.

this

and to add to that the Captaincy job is not just about how his form was on the field (and it wasn't as that bad). but it is also about his work behind the scenes and at training, which we simply don't see

Hodges was a lot better in 2015 than Boyd in 2017, and was injured 3 days a week. We also made the Grand Final. Just as a comparisson, but that's what I think of when I think of a good season and good leadership.

this

and to add to that the Captaincy job is not just about how his form was on the field (and it wasn't as that bad). but it is also about his work behind the scenes and at training, which we simply don't see

Great post. I remember reading somewhere (maybe Locky's or one of Bennett's books) that being captain of the Brisbane Broncos is not like being a captain of another club. Apart from the whole one team, one town aspect we enjoy a lot of sponsorship and corporate support. They demand their pound of flesh and they have every right to.

There's a lot of stuff behind the scenes (corporate gigs, charity events etc) he has to stump up for. Boyd isn't exactly 'personality plus' so it would've been a bit of a learning curve.

I don't feel too sorry for him - he's not exactly strapped for cash - but it would take some adjusting too.

On-field leadership is probably the easy part for a Broncos captain.

Hodges was a lot better in 2015 than Boyd in 2017, and was injured 3 days a week. We also made the Grand Final. Just as a comparisson, but that's what I think of when I think of a good season and good leadership.
Hodges was an enforcer that demanded and received respect from his opposition as well as his own players. This no doubtedly helped him captain the side and his younger players looked up to him for both leadership and support. He didn’t let them down. Boyd is a good captain but should never have played those last few games busted - it wasn't a good look.

this

It's mainly the Darius Sook that was unbecoming of our captain, that was an issue most of the year.

I think I really took Hodgo's captaincy for granted. I didn't realise until after he retired that he had moved up into that true top tier, he was already elite in terms of ability but had become the type of player that inspires just by presence, and then amplifies it by effort and execution. Parker didn't quite live up to Hodgo's standard, in terms of having the same effect. I don't know if Boyd can/will but I'm pretty sure most of the team love him as a bloke and if he can be the catalyst for those drag-us-to-a-win games he has a chance to move up into that top echelon as a leader ala Hodges.

I'm sure he has a ton of off field commitments as captain, most of which suck and require him to perform, but really the only performance that matters is on the field, has to be in good, consistent form, and has to aspire to Locky, Hodges type mentality leadership, so not sooking every other play the ball, and taking hard runs/returns.

It's mainly the Darius Sook that was unbecoming of our captain, that was an issue most of the year.

I think I really took Hodgo's captaincy for granted. I didn't realise until after he retired that he had moved up into that true top tier, he was already elite in terms of ability but had become the type of player that inspires just by presence, and then amplifies it by effort and execution. Parker didn't quite live up to Hodgo's standard, in terms of having the same effect. I don't know if Boyd can/will but I'm pretty sure most of the team love him as a bloke and if he can be the catalyst for those drag-us-to-a-win games he has a chance to move up into that top echelon as a leader ala Hodges.

I'm sure he has a ton of off field commitments as captain, most of which suck and require him to perform, but really the only performance that matters is on the field, has to be in good, consistent form, and has to aspire to Locky, Hodges type mentality leadership, so not sooking every other play the ball, and taking hard runs/returns.

I often wonder why Hodges got the tap on the shoulder while some of our other veterans didn't. Was he taking up alot of cap space? I thought he still would have had a year at the top of his game left in him.

what the hell are you going on about ...

he wasn't even close to the biggest "sook" of all captains in the NRL.

that title probably goes to Smith, a guy who is rated as the best captain in the game by many people. (honourable mention to Gallen)

what the hell are you going on about ...

he wasn't even close to the biggest "sook" of all captains in the NRL.

that title probably goes to Smith, a guy who is rated as the best captain in the game by many people. (honourable mention to Gallen)

Smith doesn't sook after every tackle like Boyd does, or shy away from a hard run when required. Congrats on missing the point entirely.

Active Now

• matthewransom34@ic
  • Morkel
  • BroncoFan94
  • Dash
  • Bucking Beads
  • Gympie devil
  • Jazza
  • Brocko
  • Mick_Hancock
  • ChewThePhatt
  • cento
  • Lurker
  • Foordy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Financeguy
  • Santa
  • MrMoore
  • Sproj
  • Xzei
  • Mustafur
... and 14 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.