Brisbane Bombers NRL Bid

Not to mention 15 years ago there was no support for the Roar or the lions or the Titans. Business plan Fail.

On the contrary, the lions were at their peak and the roar went through a similar fairweather period.

The Broncos have proven that they are incapable of swinging that market on their own

Well well well. What a "surprise" to see so many well wishes from bronco diehards.

It's easier to respond generally here, the Crushers although having nothing to do with the Bombers bid, were a massive success in their early days posting crowds well over 25k regularly. It was only superleague that brought their undoing. This is enough proof that there is enough local interest to support 2 teams, regardless how you bronco fans want to spin their demise.

15 years on, the brisbane market has grown larger and wider, yet the broncos attendances and member counts has not risen to match it's exclusive demographic growth. Because of this the Broncos have every reason to co-operate with a rival local side, in a similar way that the Rabbitohs or the Bulldogs together with the Roosters collaborate in their marketing of their rivalies to achieve record numbers for both clubs.

The Bombers use of the Broncos brand as a strategy is different to the Titans as a key part of the Bombers bid is to create that local rivalry that is needed in Brisbane. In summary competition is a good thing, don't be a afraid of it. If you are you are only fearing what you have to lose.

hahahaha Honestly mate you are hilarious.

You can talk it up as much as you want but the cold hard facts are unless you are successful within your first couple of years you will fail.

As has been constantly said, yet you ignore, the fans that will jump onto the bombers (if they are included) on average will be transient fans. You will get probably a core of 10% die hards that will support no matter what but the rest will be people that are already supporting another club that will jump on when you guys start because 'the arent the broncos and ermehgerd we are gonna destroy the broncos'. If you do not have immediate success these guys will disappear as fast as they came. Just look at the titans; 2009/2010 pulling big crowds cos they were going well and you know, were going to destroy the broncos... Fast forward a few years when that success has disappeared and they are fudging gate numbers to reach 4k.

Any lack of support or 'well wishes' you have received here is due solely to your hostile and arrogant attitude, and nothing to do with the bombers bid or some imaginary, supposed fear of demise of our team. The way you have acted on here is akin to someone walking into a bar, calling some guy a bald **** and when he smacks in the face you start screaming "see, I told you that all bald guys are arseholes"

The broncos have proven to be the most successful team in the Nrl. You are full of something

Re: Official Brisbane Bombers thread

successful? lol

you've missed the finals 2/3 seasons now and are hemorrhaging our best local talent by the bucketload thanks to this exact example of complacency resulting from self grandeur

so the best you've got is claiming one of the most successful clubs of the modern era are not even successful?

mate, you're a joke

i'd say more but there's clearly no point

I think that before a second Brisbane side comes into the comp to divide the game's fanbase in that city, the NRL should look at catering to myself and the 20,220 other residents of Perth who attended the Bunnies V Window Lickers game earlier this year. A Manly fan like yourself at least gets the opportunity to see your team play in Brisbane and to regularly attend professional rugby league matches. There's a huge supporter base on this side of the country who get one game a year, if we're lucky.
Actually growing the game rather than trying to hobble existing sides seems like a more sensible route.

hahahaha Honestly mate you are hilarious.

You can talk it up as much as you want but the cold hard facts are unless you are successful within your first couple of years you will fail.

As has been constantly said, yet you ignore, the fans that will jump onto the bombers (if they are included) on average will be transient fans. You will get probably a core of 10% die hards that will support no matter what but the rest will be people that are already supporting another club that will jump on when you guys start because 'the arent the broncos and ermehgerd we are gonna destroy the broncos'. If you do not have immediate success these guys will disappear as fast as they came. Just look at the titans; 2009/2010 pulling big crowds cos they were going well and you know, were going to destroy the broncos... Fast forward a few years when that success has disappeared and they are fudging gate numbers to reach 4k.

Any lack of support or 'well wishes' you have received here is due solely to your hostile and arrogant attitude, and nothing to do with the bombers bid or some imaginary, supposed fear of demise of our team. The way you have acted on here is akin to someone walking into a bar, calling some guy a bald **** and when he smacks in the face you start screaming "see, I told you that all bald guys are arseholes"

You clearly have missed the 2 key points put forth already about

1. the Crushers as proof that solid base can be built when the league administration is behind the club
2. that Brisbane's growth as a market has outstripped the broncos membership and attendance KPIs

What's even funnier is your statement "unless you are successful within your first couple of years you will fail" seems to forget (or probably unaware) that the broncos missed the finals in their first season and bombed out first week in the next.

There is enough data to suggest that at the worst of times, a 2nd team in Brisbane would generate a crowd and supporter base bigger than a club in say CQ at their best climate, and that's enough for a successful inclusion and ongoing viability.

so the best you've got is claiming one of the most successful clubs of the modern era are not even successful?

mate, you're a joke

i'd say more but there's clearly no point

Your claim to "success" is driven on 1. history, something relevant over 10 years ago and 2. an enviable exclusive market that as I've pointed out numerously now is not being sufficiently tapped by 1 side.

I think that before a second Brisbane side comes into the comp to divide the game's fanbase in that city, the NRL should look at catering to myself and the 20,220 other residents of Perth who attended the Bunnies V Window Lickers game earlier this year. A Manly fan like yourself at least gets the opportunity to see your team play in Brisbane and to regularly attend professional rugby league matches. There's a huge supporter base on this side of the country who get one game a year, if we're lucky.
Actually growing the game rather than trying to hobble existing sides seems like a more sensible route.

I agree with the notion that Perth will probably get it's bid accepted before the Bombers, but the likelihood is that both will come in at the same time as the competition needs an even quota of teams

Well I guess that advocates our belief that Bombers fans will mostly be made up of butthurt Broncos haters.

You clearly have missed the 2 key points put forth already about

1. the Crushers as proof that solid base can be built when the league administration is behind the club
2. that Brisbane's growth as a market has outstripped the broncos membership and attendance KPIs

What's even funnier is your statement "unless you are successful within your first couple of years you will fail" seems to forget (or probably unaware) that the broncos missed the finals in their first season and bombed out first week in the next.

There is enough data to suggest that at the worst of times, a 2nd team in Brisbane would generate a crowd and supporter base bigger than a club in say CQ at their best climate, and that's enough for a successful inclusion and ongoing viability.

Look, I'll try to be as objective and fair as possible and not give you a mouthful like some other users.

1. the Crushers, as proof of success of anything, is absurd. The club was a resounding failure in every aspect and the Bombers bid seems to have posited nothing different other than "people like rugby league in Brisbane, the Broncos are a financial success, start another team, profit!!"

2. What growth? According to ABS statistics, Brisbane's population has grown by 20% since 2001. Broncos memberships in 2011 were around the 16,000 mark and in 2013 were beyond to 25,000 (that's 56%). Crowd averages were down in 2013, by a lot, so crowd average -> member conversion rates were very high. Meanwhile the Reds continue to get 30,000 a year, the Lions have the Victorians and ex-pat Perth workforce sown up and the Roar have everyone else, including, arguably, the first pickings of the bulk of the population growth (being immigrants from cultures unfamiliar with Rugby/Rugby League/AFL).

Are you actually from QLD? CQ and Brisbane's outer municipalities (Logan, Ipswich, Beenleigh) are literally 90% of Rugby League's nursery/fan base. You got to these places, you play Rugby League or nothing else (AFL is for Victorians, which we distrust and hate generally, Rugby Union for private school kids, and soccer is for "poofters and wogs").

Inner city Brisbane land prices are much higher than these areas, the demographic is richer, well-educated and generally does not support rugby league or put their kids into junior rugby league (rightly or wrongly because it's a game "played by thugs" from Logan, Ipswich and Beenleigh). Since the inception of the Broncos, Rugby Union has become a professional sport. A viable alternative for the working class and poorer demographics and not the cream of GPS schools, sandstone colleges and inner city families.

You want a slice of the pie in South East Qld?

Get a franchise in Logan, Ipswich or Beenleigh, give it its own identity, throw a 20,000 seater at Springfield and the people will flock to it.

Or upgrade Virgin Stadium in Mackay or Browne Park in Rocky for the same purpose and give the licence to Central Qld

Want to flop? Build a generic franchise (like the "Brisbane" Bombers) and try to be Broncos 2.0.

Last edited:

Your claim to "success" is driven on 1. history, something relevant over 10 years ago and 2. an enviable exclusive market that as I've pointed out numerously now is not being sufficiently tapped by 1 side.

Dude there isn't a rugby league commentator, identity or journalist in the country that would say the Broncos have not been successful

Your claim that they have not been strips you of credibility

When you something as plainly absurd as that, folks just won't take you seriously

Have a debate with people and use intelligent and well thought out argument - fine

Sprout clearly biased and factually incorrect nonsense - you just discredit yourself

Yep 6 premierships from 6 grand-finals, 2 world club championships, only missed the finals 5 times in history, produced countless representative stars for state and country, always on top of the average crowd attendance and has the most popular NRL brand in the country. All of that in 25 years wow the Broncos aren't successful aren't they?.

Yep 6 premierships from 6 grand-finals, 2 world club championships, only missed the finals 5 times in history, produced countless representative stars for state and country, always on top of the average crowd attendance and has the most popular sporting brand in the country. All of that in 25 years wow the Broncos aren't successful aren't they?.

No Cookies | Herald Sun

The Broncos have been considered for a while as the most popular sporting team in Australia.

I actually think Qld needs another successful franchise. But not another purely Brisbane based/named team.

Ipswich Jets or Bombers
Logan Bombers
Western Rangers
Qld "Bombers"

Seriously, you would pack a stadium every Friday night in Ipswich with Rugby League fans from the city and the regions.

"...the strength of the bid is sending shockwaves through the rugby league community. Broncos fans voiced their dissent at what is seen as a threat their club's viability. "

Blah blah media PR facebook content hits likes

I can do it too.

Well well well. What a "surprise" to see so many well wishes from bronco diehards.

I'm a Bronco's diehard, welcomed you to the forum yet you see the need to continue to put the boot into my club over several threads, one can't expect "well wishes" when all they have done is gone out of their way to troll the forums, I don't have a problem with you being here mate but it's about time you be constructive.

It's easier to respond generally here, the Crushers although having nothing to do with the Bombers bid, were a massive success in their early days posting crowds well over 25k regularly. It was only superleague that brought their undoing. This is enough proof that there is enough local interest to support 2 teams, regardless how you bronco fans want to spin their demise.

Actually the highest average the Crushers had were 21,000 in 1995 by 1996 it was already down to 13,000 then by 1997 it was averaging around 7,000 hardly evidence of great support, the massive success as you put it couldn't achieve even 30 percent win rate, crowd decline wasn't just because of the super league war, the initial interest that helped it died because people soon realised this was a club that had no future, just like the Giants, Seagulls and Chargers fate, the mentality of you put a team in South East Queensland and its a sure thing is a dangerous one, you need to be professional right from the start, both on and off the field.

15 years on, the brisbane market has grown larger and wider, yet the broncos attendances and member counts has not risen to match it's exclusive demographic growth. Because of this the Broncos have every reason to co-operate with a rival local side, in a similar way that the Rabbitohs or the Bulldogs together with the Roosters collaborate in their marketing of their rivalies to achieve record numbers for both clubs.

The Bombers use of the Broncos brand as a strategy is different to the Titans as a key part of the Bombers bid is to create that local rivalry that is needed in Brisbane. In summary competition is a good thing, don't be a afraid of it. If you are you are only fearing what you have to lose.

I got no problem with the Bombers wanting to build a local rivalry with the Broncos or the Titans if they are admitted to the competition or as their submission to, I don't see the need for you to be as disrespectful to my club in the process as you have been during your time here.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Astro
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.