Brisbane Broncos 2018 Player Awards

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Take place this Saturday, the 6th of October from the Convention Centre.

I'll update the categories as soon as they're released, but based on last year, these are the awards up for grabs.

Player of the Year
Best Forward
Best Back
Most Consistent
Player's Player
Rookie of the Year

Play of the Year
Fans Player of the Year
Clubman of the Year

Last edited:
Player of the Year: Tevita Pangai Jr - It's tough because Oates was just as vital to the club's performances. Pangai Jr though was the one player Bennett was willing to compromise on since he was so important, he could live with just giving him 30 minutes a game. He could also do it all and won us games with his strength, skill and speed as well as his defence. I know everyone had a good laugh about the post, but it doesn't come into play without Pangai Jr

Best Forward: Tevita Pangai Jr - AFAIK it's a similar deal to the Dally Ms where it's a 2 for 1 deal. If not, give it to Ofahengaue. Lodge had an unbelievable year, so for Ofahengaue to take his starting spot later in the year was a testament to his development as a player.

Best Back: Corey Oates - 2018 was a matter of whether or not Corey Oates decided to show up. If he decided he could take more than seven hit-ups, Brisbane usually won. If not, they were mud.

Most Consistent: Andrew McCullough - Typically this is code for best defensive player, so McCullough practically wins it by default. I think the club will reward him for his ability to recover well ahead of schedule and not completely shit the bed on those 'off' nights the club had.

Player's Player: Joe Ofahengaue - If you listen to the players, he's rated highly by everyone and if he misses out on Best Forward, he'll scoop this up.

Rookie of the Year: Jamayne Isaako - Arguably the most contested award of the night. Any other year Staggs or Fifita take it with relative ease, but Isaako was a match-winner and so integral to finishing inside the 8.

Play of the Year: The Jet Takes Off - Arguably the best individual try in club history.

Fans Player of the Year: Tevita Pangai Jr - We should steal the Queensland Reds idea and just make him into a mascot. The kids love him, the fantasy gurus love him, whats not to love? Please stay in Brisbane Pangai.

Clubman of the Year: Mick Hancock & Scott Prince - I think they'll give it to somebody involved in the women's squad and there hasn't been an interview where I haven't heard these two gushed over.

I'm sure the women will be honoured as well, which means.

Women's Player of the Year: Brittany Breayley - Her service out of dummy half gave our forward pack the edge they needed and allowed the backs to chime in when they needed to.

Best Forward: Brittany Breayley - Arakua would be my alternate, she was unbelievably tough to handle off the bench.

Best Back: Chelsea Baker - Could go with Robinson and Brigginshaw, but Baker was so quick on those fringes and often gave the opposition a panic attack.

Player of the Year: Tevita Pangai Junior
Best Forward: Tevita Pangai Junior or Matthew Lodge
Best Back: Jamayne Isaako or Corey Oates
Most Consistent: Andrew McCullough or Matthew Lodge
Player's Player: Andrew McCullough or Joe Ofahengaue
Rookie of the Year: Jamayne Isaako

Play of the Year:
Jamayne Isaako match-winner vs Roosters RD11. But James Roberts vs Roosters RD11 and Corey Oates third try vs Manly RD25 are up there and could be the winner. But Jamayne's try seems to be the favourite.
Fans Player of the Year: Jamayne Isaako or Tevita Pangai Junior. I think Jamayne will just edge him out.
Clubman of the Year: Can head coaches win the award? If so, Paul Dyer.

Best Forward: Tevita Pangai Junior or Matthew Lodge
Best Back: Jamayne Isaako or Corey Oates
Most Consistent: Andrew McCullough or Matthew Lodge
Player's Player: Andrew McCullough or Joe Ofahengaue

Play of the Year:
Jamayne Isaako match-winner vs Roosters RD11. But James Roberts vs Roosters RD11 and Corey Oates third try vs Manly RD25 are up there and could be the winner. But Jamayne's try seems to be the favourite.
Fans Player of the Year: Jamayne Isaako or Tevita Pangai Junior. I think Jamayne will just edge him out.
Clubman of the Year: Can head coaches win the award? If so, Paul Dyer.

Paul hasn’t won it before either. He was made a life member two years ago because of his 25 years service to the club.

He’d be a great choice, probably should have won it before now.

Last edited:
Best Forward: Tevita Pangai Junior (Lodge very unlucky)
Best Back: Corey Oates
Most Consistent: Matthew Lodge
Player's Player: Joe Ofahengaue

Play of the Year: Isaako vs Roosters Round 11
Fans Player of the Year: Tevita Pangai Junior
Clubman of the Year : Who knows

Player of the Year Lodge
Best Forward Lodge
Best Back Isaako
Most Consistent Lodge
Player's Player Lodge
Rookie of the Year Isaako or Lil Fifi

Play of the Year Isaako Rosters solo try
Fans Player of the Year Isaako
Clubman of the Year Glenn

The Official NRLW Categories

Player of the Year Brigginshaw
Player's Player Brigginshaw
Best Forward Arakua
Best Back Robinson

Last edited:
Not much love for Milf thus far given he was our highest point scorer in the Dally M.

I'd like to see him win something as reward for his development this year and basically having to play both halves positions for 3/4 of the year.

Would be a good reward to show the hard work can pay off.

Best Forward: Tevita Pangai Jr - AFAIK it's a similar deal to the Dally Ms where it's a 2 for 1 deal. If not, give it to Ofahengaue. Lodge had an unbelievable year, so for Ofahengaue to take his starting spot later in the year was a testament to his development as a player.

Best Back: Corey Oates - 2018 was a matter of whether or not Corey Oates decided to show up. If he decided he could take more than seven hit-ups, Brisbane usually won. If not, they were mud.
Agree but both remain unsigned. Would this happen at any other club?

Sorry didn’t know both were on the verge of retirement. Apples for apples mate.

Smith’s uncontracted status has nothing to do with retirement, it’s down to dollars.

Smith’s uncontracted status has nothing to do with retirement, it’s down to dollars.
Yes and wife’s approval (most important). Lol

Last edited:
Another smokey for the Play of the Year and a try I think everyone has forgotten about.

Roberts try vs Panthers. The chip kick from Milford to Niko who boots it up field and Roberts beats everyone to it.

The Broncos scored some screamers this season - the Darius Boyd try in the Telstra BigPond ad was another special piece of play.

In 2006 it seemed like the fans had to wait until the semis before they had anything worth gloating about. It was either Eastwood vs. NZ or Tate vs. Sea Eagles (which I doubly appreciated because it was a sneak peek into the Origin decider). Then Hodgo went and spoiled it all by making history.

Active Now

• Behold
  • LockyersLeftBoot
  • Aldo
  • Santa
  • Cavalo
  • johnny plath
  • Tim K
  • Broncosgirl
  • HarryAllan7
  • IceWorks
  • Manifesto
  • Financeguy
  • MrTickyMcG
  • jarro65
  • mystico
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Dash
  • Gympie devil
  • Fozz
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.