Brisbane Broncos table Anthony Milford richest deal in club’s history

Milford has not delivered since his first signing, he has showed glimpses of brilliance but also at times missed many tackles per game. Just because you are the Broncos Halfback or 5/8 should not automatically elevate you to superstar status where you can command a superstars salary.

I think Berrigan was a better player than Milford and more solid in defence yet he was never put on the same pedestal as Milford is. I say pay him a good salary, but let him earn it first, don't just sign someone who is not "Great" on a superstars wage, wait until the results are shown.

Lets not make the same mistake StGeorge just made with Hunt by paying overs for a player who is not what you would call a superstar by any means.

When Milford can start playing like JT, Lockyer, Langer or the greats of the game, over him the biggest ever contacts then but we should not loose sight of what his current talent level is and what he has contributed so far.

Its all about results and neither Hunt or Milford have really delivered IMO.

Milford has not delivered since his first signing, he has showed glimpses of brilliance but also at times missed many tackles per game. Just because you are the Broncos Halfback or 5/8 should not automatically elevate you to superstar status where you can command a superstars salary.

he was the best player on ground in the 2015 GF (despite not getting the award).

he's worth holding on to.

So with news Broncos tabled a 3 year, $2.7 Million contract, I gotta say I'm a little worried... If Ben Hunt got offered $1 Million a season, Surely Milford should be on more than that

the dragons were desperate. they paid overs and had to. it does not mean 1mil a season is now the benchmark.

Milford has not delivered since his first signing, he has showed glimpses of brilliance but also at times missed many tackles per game.

So does every other half in the game...

You can't expect to wait for a player to become the best player in his position/the comp/the universe and then attempt to sign him. If we think he's the best player of his generation then we have to wrap him up before others start circling. Will we be proven right, time will tell, but at some stage you have to go all in on the talent you've got otherwise you're in a constant state of rebuilding/reblooding.

Milford has shown he is a gamebreaker, the challenge is for him to be more consistent but given this will be his 3rd season for us at 5/8th, I think we'll start to see a little more from him... I'd be disappointed if we didn't tbh.

At this stage, he is 100% worth the money.

at 900k a season that puts JT, Cronk, Smith, DCE, Hunt, Hayne and maybe another one or two on more money than Milford. I'd argue he should definitely be on more than DCE, Hunt and Hayne, and due to age be close to Smith Cronk and JT

at 900k a season that puts JT, Cronk, Smith, DCE, Hunt, Hayne and maybe another one or two on more money than Milford. I'd argue he should definitely be on more than DCE, Hunt and Hayne, and due to age be close to Smith Cronk and JT

Completely different contexts.

JT is on $1m under a $7m cap so 14% of the cap

$1m under a $10m cap is 10% which is equivalent to a $700k player under today's cap. Is milf worth $700k... spoiler yes.

The media can throw around as many numbers as they want and the flavour of the month seems to be $10m cap and $1m contracts getting passed out to all and sundry.

But any speculation is pointless until the cap is sorted.

Going back to JT under a $10m cap he'd be worth $1.4m a season assuming his current percentage of the cap

Last edited:
I think it's a good offer for Milford over 3 years and I think he can win a daly m in that time.

Completely different contexts.

JT is on $1m under a $7m cap so 14% of the cap

$1m under a $10m cap is 10% which is equivalent to a $700k player under today's cap. Is milf worth $700k... spoiler yes.

The media can throw around as many numbers as they want and the flavour of the month seems to be $10m cap and $1m contracts getting passed out to all and sundry.

But any speculation is pointless until the cap is sorted.

Going back to JT under a $10m cap he'd be worth $1.4m a season assuming his current percentage of the cap
I don't know where you're going with this. I'm saying Milford should be on more than 900k. If Hunt is $1 mil for next year. Milford should be on 1.2+ Younger, and better.

That isn't how it works.

Players get overpaid all the time. Joe Galavao, Kirk Reynoldson, Karl Filiga, Greg Waddell, Chris Sandow, Darcy Lussick, Daly Cherry-Evans, Michael Jennings etc. were being paid far more than what they were worth and Ben Hunt got offered a monster deal. I'm sure Milford will field the odd offer, but money isn't everything and he wouldn't be the first player to turn down more money for other perks and benefits.

I think you actually know this @Morepudding but you can't help yourself from having a dig at Ben Hunt. At this point you've made your point and now you're just being obnoxious.

I don't know where you're going with this. I'm saying Milford should be on more than 900k. If Hunt is $1 mil for next year. Milford should be on 1.2+ Younger, and better.

I don't know what you're getting at are you saying Cherry Evans is the best player because he is the highest paid or should every one better than him be on more than $1.3m because he has set the benchmark.

My point is about basing a player's potential value comparative to the salary cap. If the salary cap were to blow up to $10m a season there will be a lot more $1m contracts.

Dragons have taken a punt that the cap will be closer to $10m than it isn't making the $1m for Hunt about right. If it doesn't get close to $10m they're in for a world of hurt

Last edited:
So does every other half in the game...
Yes but every other half in the game is not being touted as the best of their generation like many here do for Milford. I say pay him what he is worth, not pay him for what he might become. Many clubs make that mistake, the Dragons currently hold the title for the biggest signing error in history.

You can't expect to wait for a player to become the best player in his position/the comp/the universe and then attempt to sign him. If we think he's the best player of his generation then we have to wrap him up before others start circling. Will we be proven right, time will tell, but at some stage you have to go all in on the talent you've got otherwise you're in a constant state of rebuilding/reblooding.

Milford has shown he is a gamebreaker, the challenge is for him to be more consistent but given this will be his 3rd season for us at 5/8th, I think we'll start to see a little more from him... I'd be disappointed if we didn't tbh.

At this stage, he is 100% worth the money.
And therein lies the problem, just because you think/hope/wish/pray that Milford is "The best player of his generation" does not make it so. I think we should keep him and re-sign him but not for the ridiculous amounts being spoken of, if he was half as good as everyone makes him out to be then yes, but I see him as a running player who is not comfortable at 2nd receiver with the defence looming up on him, his best plays come from broken play and kick returns, and quick turnovers before the others teams defence can set itself and as a running support player he is one of the best. But he needs room to move and if you look at the great 5/8's throughout history they all have the ability to create time.
Even though the game is going at a cracking pace, the greats can mentally create time by reading the game and put themselves in a position to attack, I don't think Milford has this skill. He simply cannot "create time" whereas the great halves can, that is why he is at his best, as i said, in broken play and in kick returns and as a support runner, he doesn't have the perfect passing game a halve needs either.

You also seem worried that someone is going to to sign him before Brisbane does, again, that is something that would not bother me, if he were to sign with another club, we would pick up another 5/8, and would you then be saying "oh quick lets sign our new 5/8 for mega-bucks before someone else does"?

The great players and IMO the word "great" is over-used to the maximum these days, anyone who played first grade is now announced on Television as former NRL (Insert club) great (insert name) joins us today.....

Look at league players like Racehorses, just because you pay a high price for some of them does not make them all as good as Pharlap, whereas you could buy a nag from the QLD Cup who turns out to be a multiple group one winner.

A players worth is what the market will pay, but their worth to the team and club overall and prior form should be taken into account before big amounts of money are thrown around especially when it comes to relying on speculation on how they might perform in the future.

Umm now, are you kind of contradicting yourself there? I found it really hard to follow.

Can i get a tldr? Either way i used "if we" in place of "the broncos management" , so it doesnt really matter whether we individually or not would sign him and for how much.

Umm now, are you kind of contradicting yourself there? I found it really hard to follow.
Which part did you have trouble with, maybe I can re-word it for you to help it get through?

A players worth is what the market will pay, but their worth to the team and club overall and prior form should be taken into account before big amounts of money are thrown around

This bit

I guess it means a player is worth x-amount on the market, but could be worth more to the team he's at, so one should be cautious of spending big $$$. I think. Kinda falls apart at the end there.

But I don't see how this applies to Milford

If you want to talk about worth to the team, people like to talk about Hunt taking us to the GF, who was best on ground? Milf.

Active Now

• Allo
  • winslow_wong
  • Mister Wright
  • broncsgoat
  • Xzei
  • Broncosgirl
  • Sproj
  • Bucking Beads
  • Morkel
  • broncos4life
  • Jazza
  • Broncorob
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • Fatboy
  • Santa
  • Fitzy
  • MrMoore
  • Johnny92
  • Hurrijo
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.