International Rep
Staff
🌏
    Featured
  • Staff
Brisbane Broncos veteran Alex Glenn set to stay put at Red Hill

Peter Badel, The Courier-Mail
October 2, 2019 1:26pm

Brisbane stalwart Alex Glenn is poised to shun more lucrative offers from Sydney clubs and accept a pay cut in his bid to become a 300-game legend at the Broncos.

The Courier-Mail understands Glenn is leaning towards inking a two-year extension with the Broncos after a protracted six-month battle to finalise his future at Red Hill.

Despite Brisbane’s 2019 campaign ending three weeks ago, key top-liners Glenn and Corey Oates remain off-contract and time is ticking to sign new deals ahead of the NRL’s new contracting period starting November 1.

There were fears Brisbane’s inability to come to terms with Glenn during the season could see him quit the club, especially given salary-cap pressures that have forced the Broncos to offer the former Kiwi Test star a reduced deal.

Glenn, who turned 31 in July, could earn more if he moved to a Sydney club, but the Broncos are confident the veteran utility will agree to a two-year deal to finish his career as a proud one-club servant in 2021.

While Glenn has previously spoken of having “to put food on the table” for his two young children, the former skipper can see the merits of being a Bronco for life.

Glenn recently became the fifth most-capped player in Broncos history, surpassing halfback icon Allan Langer (258) with his 259th NRL game in their season-ending 58-0 finals loss to Parramatta.

By signing a two-year extension with the Broncos, Glenn would have the opportunity to become just the fourth man in Brisbane’s glittering 31-history to chalk up 300 games for Queensland’s flagship sporting team.

Only Darren Lockyer (355), Corey Parker (347) and Sam Thaiday (304) are Broncos triple centurions, but one final contract would give Glenn a shot at joining Brisbane’s most decorated club.

The ever-reliable Glenn was one of Brisbane’s most consistent players this year, playing 21 games and filling a centre void in the back half of the season as injuries decimated the Broncos’ roster.

During Brisbane’s post-season player reviews, coach Anthony Seibold lauded Glenn’s leadership and made it clear he wanted his experience on board next season to help the club’s emerging young forwards.

With Darius Boyd fighting to retain the captaincy, Glenn is being considered a possible co-captaincy option.

Glenn told The Courier-Mail last month that he was hopeful of finishing his career at the Broncos despite the salary-cap constraints buffeting the club.

“I know with all the signings this year (retaining Matt Lodge, Tevita Pangai Jnr and Jake Turpin), the money will be drying up,” he said.

“I want to stay, 100 per cent. That’s what I am hoping for but it’s up to my manager to sort that out and come to an agreement with the club to keep me here.

“I’m 31, it can be a harsh industry and a lot of players have been forced to go overseas. Me personally, I have a lot more to give in this game. Age is just a number and I feel great.

“I am still playing some good football personally and it is great to know other clubs are showing interest in me.”

Source: https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos/brisbane-broncos-veteran-alex-glenn-set-to-stay-put-at-red-hill/news-story/a317b23d0fdaa31e6f83d19134cb6f1f

Morepudding

NRL Player
Great news, should never have been allowed to go this long without a deal. Besides players in their first year or two in the NRL, he would be by far our best value for money player. Almost always in our top 5. Severly underrated and undervalued in my opinion, especially in comparison to current high earning numpties like Offa.
- Merged

Now make him captain!

Last edited:

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
  • Staff
**** yes. Make him captain then.
I'm fine with this, I think that's why Gillett was told he was moving to the bench.

8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn (c)
12. Fifita
13. Pangai Jr

14. Segeyaro / Paix
15. Gillett / Carrigan
16. Ofahengaue
17. Flegler

Play Glenn & Fifita 80 minutes on the edges, bring Gillet / Carrigan off the bench to play 35-40 mins at Lock, play Ofahengaue & Flegler exclusively at Prop (Where they should be playing)

Yoooo, Croft has a pretty nice short ball and short kicking game, he could form a deadly combination with Fifita & Staggs on that right edge, let's go, I'm keen af now.

kooly87

QCup Player
I'm fine with this, I think that's why Gillett was told he was moving to the bench.

8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn (c)
12. Fifita
13. Pangai Jr

14. Segeyaro / Paix
15. Gillett
16. Ofahengaue
17. Flegler

Play Glenn & Fifita 80 minutes on the edges, bring Gillo off the bench to play 35-40 mins at Lock, play Ofahengaue & Flegler exclusively at Prop (Where they should be playing)

Yoooo, Croft has a pretty nice short ball and short kicking game, he could form a deadly combination with Fifita & Staggs on that right edge, let's go, I'm keen af now.
I really prefer TPJ on an edge, but I'd concede that there just isn't a way to make it fit any better than the lineup you've suggested.

Waynesaurus

NRL Player
Springfield
Yeah, you want Glenn in there but TPJ definitely plays his best and has the most impact when he is on an edge.

Ofa needs to step up next year, has was really poor after signing his new deal.

Allo

NRL Captain

8. Lodge
9. Turpin
10. Haas
11. Glenn (c)
12. Fifita
13. Pangai Jr

14. Segeyaro / Paix
15. Gillett / Carrigan
16. Ofahengaue
17. Flegler

Play Glenn & Fifita 80 minutes on the edges, bring Gillet / Carrigan off the bench to play 35-40 mins at Lock, play Ofahengaue & Flegler exclusively at Prop (Where they should be playing)

Having Gillett on the bench is kinda pointless, at least the current version of him is. He doesn’t make metres and isn’t an attacking whiz that can spark something. Unless he’s being told to transform into a quick line-running offloader, I don’t see him being anywhere near as useful unless we’re being killed defensively on an edge.

I think he’ll stay at right second-row. It’s a tough spot because Pangai seems to be far more potent playing wider and you just have to start Fifita. Gillett at lock to cater for those two won’t do much either, and we look to be running Carrigan and/or Flegler there.

And then you have to fit Glenn in somewhere. Strong argument for him to be on the bench as he can cover the backs and forwards. But surely you don’t Kurt Gidley him

Not saying Glenn doesn’t deserve a start, but I just don’t see where if you have everyone playing the best position for themselves and/or the team. It’s entirely possible that neither Glenn or Gillett start

big k

QCup Player
Surely Lexi would be employed by the club after retirement. We'd be stupid not to keep someone with his work ethic and consistency on and off the field around the young squad in a leadership role.

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
Dont really like TPJ at lock. Dont think he has the consitency or reliability to his game. He is a weapon in the back row. We surely have to start with TPJ and Fifita as our back rowers if we are serious about shaking things up.

Allo

NRL Captain
Dont really like TPJ at lock. Dont think he has the consitency or reliability to his game. He is a weapon in the back row. We surely have to start with TPJ and Fifita as our back rowers if we are serious about shaking things up.
We know why mate ... haha

But I agree as far as Pangai and playing lock, although he may have to if either of the vets are kept in the starting side. Not ideal, but not the worst timeline either

theshed

NRL Player
One of my favourite Broncos of the last decade. He’s right up there with Hodgo and Parker for me as far as his standing at the club goes. Not as talented as those two, or as much of a character but he’s always done his job with no complaints and is a great bloke from all reports.

Wolfie

State of Origin Rep
We know why mate ... haha

But I agree as far as Pangai and playing lock, although he may have to if either of the vets are kept in the starting side. Not ideal, but not the worst timeline either
Its not for that reason! He is no competition for Patty at 13!

I've never liked him there really. He impressed me more than i thought he would in the second row. I always used to like him coming from the bench, but i think his form in the second row was very good.

Last edited:

NSW stables

QCup Player
What about TPJ and Fifita on the edges and Glenn as lock? He's quick on his feet and knows how to poke his head through the line. Could play a Cameron Murray-type role for us.
If he has signed for us for "unders", no doubt i would give him the captaincy. He definitely shows the characteristics of a quality leader and selflessness for the team.

It is a little bit left of centre given that i am not sure if he has played there before but i think he could play lock (would probably offer more than gillett did earlier in the year). He has never shirked the hard work, has decent leg speed, his body has been pretty resilient and has solid defence and does the 1%ers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter