NEWS Brisbane chairman Karl Morris: Shitbold survives

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Brisbane chairman Karl Morris:

“Anthony will not be sacked today. Unless I am instructed otherwise by the company (News Corp) which owns 69 per cent of the Broncos, under no circumstances do I plan on sacking Anthony. I wouldn’t say I’m extremely happy with Anthony, obviously, but I’m conscious of the enormous amount of pressure he is under.

“I am the chairman of a publicly-listed company and I have responsibilities to ASIC (Australian Securities and Investments Commission) for that reason. I have shareholders to consider, but News Corp are 69 per cent owners of the Broncos and they are staying the course."

Karl Morris: artist's impression only

“As hard it is, we are taking a long-term view and we still have great faith in Anthony. It was very ordinary to watch that loss. A lot of clubs go through a rebuilding phase. In 30 years, we have gone through a couple of slumps, but this is worst period I have seen. There is a whole range of things I will be suggesting and it’s also something for Darren Lockyer to recommend. If there are things to be acted on, we will certainly look at it."

“No-one likes to see what happened (against the Titans). We haven’t come back from the COVID isolation period well and we have had several players out injured, but that’s no excuse. The other people who have to give him support are his players. At the end of the day, they are the guys going out there wearing the Broncos jumper."

“We can’t have a knee-jerk reaction. A lot of people seem to think there is a magic wand but there is no magic wand to fix this. I can honestly say I am not worried about the culture of the club. Our culture is not the issue."

Screenshot 2020 06 28 NRL

Seibold: breaking records.

“I have been at the club two or three times this week and I see no evidence of a cultural problem. Because of COVID, we have not been able to be around the club and speak to coaching staff and players. Before COVID, I was going for a walk with Anthony once a week to stay in tune with the coach, but this has happened to every club."

“When we signed Anthony (in 2018) everyone thought he was a good appointment at the beginning, so we won’t be jumping at shadows. When Anthony arrived, he brought it up as an issue that it’s going to be a tough two or three years because of the nature of our roster and the youth in the club.

“That’s a reason why we gave Anthony a long-term contract, to provide some stability. It wasn’t so long ago that people were telling me what a great acquisition Anthony was and I still think he is. He has to get support from me, the board and Paul White the CEO. It has probably been harder than we expected. These things happen from time to time and we will continue to look long-term.”

See you again, next week.

McHunt

Last edited:
yep, so as suspected, as long as the club is making money and the shareholders aren't effected, we're good to go.

**** this could be a long ride to the bottom.

Brisbane chairman Karl Morris:

“Anthony will not be sacked today. Unless I am instructed otherwise by the company (News Corp) which owns 69 per cent of the Broncos, under no circumstances do I plan on sacking Anthony. I wouldn’t say I’m extremely happy with Anthony, obviously, but I’m conscious of the enormous amount of pressure he is under.

“I am the chairman of a publicly-listed company and I have responsibilities to ASIC (Australian Securities and Investments Commission) for that reason. I have shareholders to consider, but News Corp are 69 per cent owners of the Broncos and they are staying the course."

View attachment 8360
Karl Morris: artist's impression only

“As hard it is, we are taking a long-term view and we still have great faith in Anthony. It was very ordinary to watch that loss. A lot of clubs go through a rebuilding phase. In 30 years, we have gone through a couple of slumps, but this is worst period I have seen. There is a whole range of things I will be suggesting and it’s also something for Darren Lockyer to recommend. If there are things to be acted on, we will certainly look at it."

“No-one likes to see what happened (against the Titans). We haven’t come back from the COVID isolation period well and we have had several players out injured, but that’s no excuse. The other people who have to give him support are his players. At the end of the day, they are the guys going out there wearing the Broncos jumper."

“We can’t have a knee-jerk reaction. A lot of people seem to think there is a magic wand but there is no magic wand to fix this. I can honestly say I am not worried about the culture of the club. Our culture is not the issue."

View attachment 8361
Seibold: breaking records.

“I have been at the club two or three times this week and I see no evidence of a cultural problem. Because of COVID, we have not been able to be around the club and speak to coaching staff and players. Before COVID, I was going for a walk with Anthony once a week to stay in tune with the coach, but this has happened to every club."

“When we signed Anthony (in 2018) everyone thought he was a good appointment at the beginning, so we won’t be jumping at shadows. When Anthony arrived, he brought it up as an issue that it’s going to be a tough two or three years because of the nature of our roster and the youth in the club.

“That’s a reason why we gave Anthony a long-term contract, to provide some stability. It wasn’t so long ago that people were telling me what a great acquisition Anthony was and I still think he is. He has to get support from me, the board and Paul White the CEO. It has probably been harder than we expected. These things happen from time to time and we will continue to look long-term.”

See you again, next week.

McHunt
**** me I nearly pissed myself.

yep, so as suspected, as long as the club is making money and the shareholders aren't effected, we're good to go.

Yep.
White said something recently along the lines of wins and losses aren't the primary motivation at the club.

Last edited:

Then we need to talk their language-stop supporting the club, buying merch & memberships and then we’ll see how fast they change their tune!

A clear sign they will stick with him like the Eels / Arthur , Canberra / Stuart...sheesh. ..
Can anyone (Faithy are you out there?) shed any light on the player discontent front? These rumours seem to be gaining strength with each insipid defeat. If we are playing the long game with the coach, who are the cancers that are agitiating against him and infecting rookies?

Now it’s turned into 3 years [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

You honestly could not make this shit up, let’s recap shall we:

2019 : Paul White proclaims ‘We are not a rebuilding club’

2020 (Before Titans Game) : Karl Morris proclaims ‘We always knew it was going to be a 2 year project to get things right’

2020 (Post Titans Game) : Now Karl Morris proclaims ‘Anthony told us it was going to be a tough 2-3 years before we get everything on track)

Sounds to me there are a shit ton of excuses, lies and contradictions to justify positions and to buy time.

**** THEM ALL

They can spin it all they want, but the fact of the matter is no matter what team we put on the field, we are not even competing in games from the first minute which is bullshit for any professional sporting organisation let alone the fucking Broncos with all their resources. Deadset

A clear sign they will stick with him like the Eels / Arthur , Canberra / Stuart...sheesh. ..
Can anyone (Faithy are you out there?) shed any light on the player discontent front? These rumours seem to be gaining strength with each insipid defeat. If we are playing the long game with the coach, who are the cancers that are agitiating against him and infecting rookies?

There was a rumour floating around, not sure if it had any substance, that the senior players are the ones that have the issue with Seibold and want him gone because the training is too hard. Much like the Souths vendetta that ran Madge out of town.

The young guys are buying into it because they are trying to develop and get the best out of themselves and have a good career whereas certain others are trying to glide into retirement without having to exert themselves

So he won’t be sacked today? How about tomorrow? In fact I will settle for anytime this week, I’m not fussy.

I’ll bet big money that if we get embarrassed by a warriors side next week missing Roger and the situation they in, Newscorp will be the ones that sack him and not the board

So he isn’t going anywhere then, because the only way News would seemingly want to get involved would be if it was hurting them in the back pocket significantly enough.

People need to vote with their wallets if they want change because that’s the only language Newscorp understands.

There was a rumour floating around, not sure if it had any substance, that the senior players are the ones that have the issue with Seibold and want him gone because the training is too hard.
You mean Darius and Lexy: who else is senior?

I find it funny that he mentions news Corp being 69% shareholders in the club, yet they are the ones most pissing on the club in the media.
To me right away, that there are deeper issues then just the players/coach at the club. What is it going to take for news Corp to give the go ahead? Is it that the broncos are currently generating so much media? Selling so many papers? Having everyone talk about the club..?

Much like Gus’ 5 year plan, when Seibold takes up his option for a 6th year, we will be told that ‘we always knew this would be a 6 year project, that’s why we gave Anthony a 6 year deal’

You do not get 6 years to rebuild a club in the NRL much less a club with the resources that Brisbane have.

There was a rumour floating around, not sure if it had any substance, that the senior players are the ones that have the issue with Seibold and want him gone because the training is too hard. Much like the Souths vendetta that ran Madge out of town.

The young guys are buying into it because they are trying to develop and get the best out of themselves and have a good career whereas certain others are trying to glide into retirement without having to exert themselves

That would make sense but if that’s the case just sack the *****.

Now it’s turned into 3 years [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

You honestly could not make this shit up, let’s recap shall we:

2019 : Paul White proclaims ‘We are not a rebuilding club’

2020 (Before Titans Game) : Karl Morris proclaims ‘We always knew it was going to be a 2 year project to get things right’

2020 (Post Titans Game) : Now Karl Morris proclaims ‘Anthony told us it was going to be a tough 2-3 years before we get everything on track)

Sounds to me there are a shit ton of excuses, lies and contradictions to justify positions and to buy time.

**** THEM ALL

They can spin it all they want, but the fact of the matter is no matter what team we put on the field, we are not even competing in games from the first minute which is bullshit for any professional sporting organisation let alone the fucking Broncos with all their resources. Deadset
It's been around longer than that... below is from July last year and touches on the "young crop" coming through and having to keep them together

Lockyer told QLDER that the Broncos' current priority was to tie up the talented young players coming through their ranks, rather than looking outside for a highly-paid player to be the icing on the cake.

"You can see what Anthony Seibold's doing there, he's got these young forwards he's bringing through, he's blooding all these debutants in the backline, (including teen halfback) Tom Dearden, so I think it's a youth policy," Lockyer said.

"The key for the club is to keep that group together for as long as they can."

Last edited:

Active Now

• TwoLeftFeet
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Broncosgirl
  • Justwin
  • Fozz
  • heartly87
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Harry Sack
  • Broncorob
  • Skyblues87
  • Cavalo
  • Sproj
  • Big Del
  • Aldo
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Midean
  • HarryAllan7
  • johnny plath
  • Xzei
  • kiwi2
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.