NEWS Brisbane chairman Karl Morris: Shitbold survives

You mean Darius and Lexy: who else is senior?

Think it included experienced players as well.

Milford, Oates and Ofahengaue’s names have been mentioned in that rumour as well.

Let’s not forget it was only 3 years ago that Benji Marshall let slip to a journo that he was disgusted in what Milford was getting away with at training only for Wayne to cover it up.

There was a rumour floating around, not sure if it had any substance, that the senior players are the ones that have the issue with Seibold and want him gone because the training is too hard. Much like the Souths vendetta that ran Madge out of town.

The young guys are buying into it because they are trying to develop and get the best out of themselves and have a good career whereas certain others are trying to glide into retirement without having to exert themselves
What senior players? Boyd, Milford, Glenn?

After that the next highest in terms of games played is Oates... is he a senior player now?

It's just NSWRL spinning shit... it's a standard line to say the coach has lost the group, senior players are pushing the coach out, etc. but they don't know shit about the club down in Shitney

Games played end of 2019
Darius Boyd
317​
Alex Glenn
259​
Anthony Milford
167​
Corey Oates
142​
Jordan Kahu
114​
Joe Ofahengaue
90​
Jack Bird
83​
Tevita Pangai jnr
72​
Matthew Lodge
59​
Jamayne Isaako
48​
Brodie Croft
39​
David Fifita
35​
Kotoni Staggs
33​
Payne Haas
24​
Thomas Flegler
23​
Patrick Carrigan
19​
Richie Kennar
19​
Jake Turpin
17​
Jesse Arthars
12​
Rhys Kennedy
9​
Sean O'Sullivan
6​
Thomas Dearden
5​
Xavier Coates
3​
Herbie Farnworth
2​
Keenan Palasia
2​

Last edited:
It's been around longer than that... below is from July last year and touches on the "young crop" coming through and having to keep them together

Lockyer told QLDER that the Broncos' current priority was to tie up the talented young players coming through their ranks, rather than looking outside for a highly-paid player to be the icing on the cake.

"You can see what Anthony Seibold's doing there, he's got these young forwards he's bringing through, he's blooding all these debutants in the backline, (including teen halfback) Tom Dearden, so I think it's a youth policy," Lockyer said.

"The key for the club is to keep that group together for as long as they can."

They have the whole plan and youth policy completely wrong and they are so far into it that they can’t turn back and admit they’ve fucked up.

All they had to do is keep the high priority ones who you know are going to be superstars such as Staggs, Haas and Fifita and then just build around them.

You’d keep Carrigan as the workhorse and glue to solidify the forward pack and have him as the future captain. You also wouldn’t have to break the bank for him.

Then in regards to Lodge, TPJ, Flegler, etc, if you had to over pay to keep them, you could let them walk. TPJ is the Milford of the forward pack, shows up 1 in 4 games and that’s only if he ain’t suspended. Lodge is someone you keep around and he will develop into that forward leader but considering we threw him a lifeline and what he can currently offer, he is not someone who should be on huge money.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but we should never have signed Bird. At his salary, he was only ever a luxury buy. That money was better spent elsewhere on a fullback or hooker especially when you look at our piss poor quality and depth in those areas. Yet we spent $700,000 on a player whose main position is the second least important position on the field.

It’s not like we need to go and buy a high ranking player like Lockyer was alluding to. **** me even just a value signing like a Shaun Lane or a Curtis Sironen on $300-$350k would be better than paying $500k+ for the myth that is Ofahengaue.

For all this bullshit about taking 2-3 years to fix our cap, that’s because they are still continuing to overpay players on talent rather than output.

What senior players? Boyd, Milford, Glenn?

After that the next highest in terms of games played is Oates... is he a senior player now?

It's just NSWRL spinning shit... it's a standard line to say the coach has lost the group, senior players are pushing the coach out, etc. but they don't know shit about the club down in Shitney

Games played end of 2019
Darius Boyd
317​
Alex Glenn
259​
Anthony Milford
167​
Corey Oates
142​
Jordan Kahu
114​
Joe Ofahengaue
90​
Jack Bird
83​
Tevita Pangai jnr
72​
Matthew Lodge
59​
Jamayne Isaako
48​
Brodie Croft
39​
David Fifita
35​
Kotoni Staggs
33​
Payne Haas
24​
Thomas Flegler
23​
Patrick Carrigan
19​
Richie Kennar
19​
Jake Turpin
17​
Jesse Arthars
12​
Rhys Kennedy
9​
Sean O'Sullivan
6​
Thomas Dearden
5​
Xavier Coates
3​
Herbie Farnworth
2​
Keenan Palasia
2​

As I mentioned after my post, it included experienced players as well.

Now I am not for once saying I believe that rumour and not sure of its origins, but one thing I can’t ignore was the Benji Marshall quote about Milford’s training shortcuts and habits that the club and Wayne had to pull Benji aside and get him to retract his statements.

And when you think back to that, you can’t help but think there could be an element of truth to these rumours because bad habits die hard and guys like Milford have always glided by on talent and the club could never afford to lose a player like him after they lost Ben Hunt. There have been other high profile people who have been involved in the game who have mentioned things along these lines as well.

And when you see what we are seeing on the field, of course it’s going to fuel those rumours because the players in question aren’t doing anything to expel the external noise.

We saw 2 QLD clubs come into this weekend under huge pressure with talks both coaches have lost the dressing room and on the verge of being sacked. One club in question led a top 4 team 26-0 at half time and went on to win whilst the other was down 22-0 to 16th place team and went on to lose convincingly. One team proved they support the coach and led by example, the other one just fueled the flames.

Actions speak louder than words and all that has come out of The Broncos is words since the start of 2019. Words and excuses actually.

I find it funny that he mentions news Corp being 69% shareholders in the club, yet they are the ones most pissing on the club in the media.
To me right away, that there are deeper issues then just the players/coach at the club. What is it going to take for news Corp to give the go ahead? Is it that the broncos are currently generating so much media? Selling so many papers? Having everyone talk about the club..?

yep, so as suspected, as long as the club is making money and the shareholders aren't effected, we're good to go.

**** this could be a long ride to the bottom.
Yeah exactly, news corp don't give a shit how the Broncos are performing, as long as they are making money and headlines for their media(which in turn is profit as well) be it positive or negative towards the club they don't give too ***** about the side is performing or how the fans feel.

Last edited:
I get that there might be tough times, but you have to see some progression. We arent, we are seeing regression.

Exactly.

Us fans are all going to be portrayed as sore losers by media and opposition fans and that we can’t handle adversity because we’ve had it good for so long and they would all be revelling in our current state.

But it’s complete bullshit. I can handle losing. I can handle a 5 game losing streak. I can handle us being outplayed on the day by a better team.

What I can’t handle is being outcompeted from Minute 1 to Minute 80 every week with absolutely no improvement week to week, playing like headless chooks with no plan or effort and just repeating the same schoolboy mistakes.

I also can’t handle the lack of accountability for certain players performances and then having the club hiding behind the there is no one else to replace them with excuse when they keep contradicting themselves.

Last edited:
They have the whole plan and youth policy completely wrong and they are so far into it that they can’t turn back and admit they’ve fucked up.

All they had to do is keep the high priority ones who you know are going to be superstars such as Staggs, Haas and Fifita and then just build around them.

You’d keep Carrigan as the workhorse and glue to solidify the forward pack and have him as the future captain. You also wouldn’t have to break the bank for him.

Then in regards to Lodge, TPJ, Flegler, etc, if you had to over pay to keep them, you could let them walk. TPJ is the Milford of the forward pack, shows up 1 in 4 games and that’s only if he ain’t suspended. Lodge is someone you keep around and he will develop into that forward leader but considering we threw him a lifeline and what he can currently offer, he is not someone who should be on huge money.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but we should never have signed Bird. At his salary, he was only ever a luxury buy. That money was better spent elsewhere on a fullback or hooker especially when you look at our piss poor quality and depth in those areas. Yet we spent $700,000 on a player whose main position is the second least important position on the field.

It’s not like we need to go and buy a high ranking player like Lockyer was alluding to. **** me even just a value signing like a Shaun Lane or a Curtis Sironen on $300-$350k would be better than paying $500k+ for the myth that is Ofahengaue.

For all this bullshit about taking 2-3 years to fix our cap, that’s because they are still continuing to overpay players on talent rather than output.
Looking at the players released since 2018
  • Josh McGuire (Released) - In hindsight having McGuire would've been useful, but he reportedly wanted 4 years at $800k or so... which would've cost us probably 2 of Lodge, Offa and TPJ. (50/50 on whether he would've been better to keep... Offa no question, but Lodge or TPJ, not so sure
  • Jordan Kahu (Attempted release) - Still can't get rid of the bastard and is still injured
  • Korbin Sims (Released) - Barely makes the dragons 17
  • Tom Opacic (Released) - Should've kept him, but I think he thought his opportunities were better in Nth Qld and may have led to a bidding war to keep him. Keeping him might've cost us someone like Herbie, Coates, Staggs, etc.
  • Kodi Nikorima (Released) - We wanted to keep him as a bench utility. I'd say with hindsight I don't think he'd be doing any better than Milf or Croft as we just look shithouse on the field and he'd have no momentum for him to play with
  • Jaydn Su'A (Released) - Would've been handy.. think he was locked down to 2021/22 so not a huge amount of pressure on the rest of the cap. Keeping Sua over Oates, looks the better option in hindsight, but potentially he was hell bent on a move
  • James Roberts (Released) - Just wasn't going to work with Seibold. Keeping him probably costs us a Herbie, Coates or Staggs
  • George Fai (Released) - Wasn't kicking on and Kennedy as a replacement looks better
  • Andrew McCullough (Attempted Released) - Unfortunate injuries, but I think Issac is a better fit for us anyway. He's cheaper, happy to play a depth role and provides more out of dummy half than Macca.
  • Gehamat Shibasaki (Released) - Would've been above minimum wage (was a few years out of NYC)... looks nothing more than depth and may have increased pressure on us keeping Herbie, Coates and Staggs
  • Patrick Mago (Released) - Would've been handy to keep... although his body shape and play may not have been the best fit for the current rules anyway

Other players
Sam Thaiday Retired
Matt Gillett Retired
Sam Tagataese Retired

In terms of other retention decisions...
was keeping Oates the best decision? Maybe not. I don't think he should ever have been considered a long term option on the wing so need to see how he matches up in the 2nd row depth

Bird to me was never a good decision... too long and too high a salary. If the intention was to bring him here to play as a 6, 13 or 1 then he shouldn't have been given a long contract and high salary. It should've been up to him to prove he was worth that high a cost by coming on a lower priced deal ($600k - his worth as a center) and look for an upgrade after he proved his worth

Milford wasn't really a wrong decision. He was a good player when he signed in 2017 and looked to be our long term option in the halves, but we look shithouse on the field. He looked reasonable in rounds 1 & 2 and the trials.... the coach needs to fix the fucking mess that is our current gameplan

Offa - Looks a bad deal only because of price and now that the rules have changed. He was solid enough off the bench under the previous rule. But his defence and mobility is too suspect under a quick game plan. He should be put on a revised training regime to slim down or potentially look at moving to ESL (where the game still suits him)

Isaako - Got a longish deal after his rookie year... seems a bit reactionary in hindsight, but he looked pretty bloody promising early on. Still has value if he wanted to move on

Lodge - Looks like he is on a very long and high priced deal (apparently $700k to 2024 with 2 years as PO). Could be a very high risk contract moving forward. I think he can adapt to the new rules and be a leader in the pack, but we need to figure out our best rotation with Haas, TPJ, Lodge and Carrigan.

TPJ - Signed on a pretty reasonable deal ($600k to 2022), but they need to figure out how they want to play him. He's a weapon in attack on an edge, but his defence is suspect out there. I think he should be in the middle, but we have a lot congestion in there at the moment with Haas, Lodge, Carrigan and Offa, and also Flegler and Bullemor

Flegler - Set to come off contract next year, but how much do they look to invest in him moving forward and what's his role moving forward? I'd have him over Offa, but we may be under pressure keeping him. Also seems a guy that may need to change style of play for the new rules, but in saying that I would like to see how he goes off the bench for a few weeks. Resumption of the competition had him starting, because Offa was incompetent and Lodge was coming back from a serious injury and underdone. Coming off the bench might suit him as he has some footwork, just needs to improve the motor and he should be sweet

Last edited:
There was a rumour floating around, not sure if it had any substance, that the senior players are the ones that have the issue with Seibold and want him gone because the training is too hard. Much like the Souths vendetta that ran Madge out of town.

According to Paul Kent on the Matty Johns podcast and reported on news.com.au a few days ago, in the broncos dressing room "Seibold said to them the other night after the Manly game 'If I'm not the right bloke for the job then tell me'... two (players stood up). Two said "nah mate you're OK", and the rest of them sat looking at their shoes.

Looking at the players released since 2018
  • Josh McGuire (Released) - In hindsight having McGuire would've been useful, but he reportedly wanted 4 years at $800k or so... which would've cost us probably 2 of Lodge, Offa and TPJ. (50/50 on whether he would've been better to keep... Offa no question, but Lodge or TPJ, not so sure
  • Jordan Kahu (Attempted release) - Still can't get rid of the bastard and is still injured
  • Korbin Sims (Released) - Barely makes the dragons 17
  • Tom Opacic (Released) - Should've kept him, but I think he thought his opportunities were better in Nth Qld and may have led to a bidding war to keep him. Keeping him might've cost us someone like Herbie, Coates, Staggs, etc.
  • Kodi Nikorima (Released) - We wanted to keep him as a bench utility. I'd say with hindsight he's probably not playing all that well if he stays as we just look shithouse on the field and he'd have no momentum for him to play with
  • Jaydn Su'A (Released) - Would've been handy.. think he was locked down to 2021/22 so not a huge amount of pressure on the rest of the cap. Keeping Sua over Oates, looks the better option in hindsight, but potentially he was hell bent on a move
  • James Roberts (Released) - Just wasn't going to work with Seibold. Keeping him probably costs us a Herbie, Coates or Staggs
  • George Fai (Released) - Wasn't kicking on and Kennedy as a replacement looks better
  • Andrew McCullough (Attempted Released) - Unfortunate injuries, but I think Issac is a better fit for us anyway. He's cheaper, happy to play a depth role and provides more out of dummy half than Macca.
  • Gehamat Shibasaki (Released) - Would've been above minimum wage (was a few years out of NYC)... looks nothing more than depth and may have increased pressure on us keeping Herbie, Coates and Staggs
  • Patrick Mago (Released) - Would've been handy to keep... although his body shape and play may not have been the best fit for the current rules anyway

Other players
Sam Thaiday Retired
Matt Gillett Retired
Sam Tagataese Retired

In terms of other retention decisions...
was keeping Oates the best decision? Maybe not. I don't think he should ever have been considered a long term option on the wing so need to see how he matches up in the 2nd row depth

Bird to me was never a good decision... too long and too high a salary. If the intention was to bring him here to play as a 6, 13 or 1 then he shouldn't have been given a long contract and high salary. It should've been up to him to prove he was worth that high a cost by coming on a lower priced deal ($600k - his worth as a center) and look for an upgrade after he proved his worth

Milford wasn't really a wrong decision. He was a good player when he signed in 2017 and looked to be our long term option in the halves.

Offa - Looks a bad deal only because of price and now that the rules have changed. He was solid enough off the bench under the previous rule. But his defence and mobility is too suspect under a quick game plan. He should be put on a revised training regime to slim down or potentially look at moving to ESL (where the game still suits him)

Isaako - Got a longish deal after his rookie year... seems a bit reactionary in hindsight, but he looked pretty bloody promising early on. Still has value if he wanted to move on

Lodge - Looks like he is on a very long and high priced deal (apparently $700k to 2024 with 2 years as PO). Could be a very high risk contract moving forward. I think he can adapt to the new rules and be a leader in the pack, but we need to figure out our best rotation with Haas, TPJ, Lodge and Carrigan.

TPJ - Signed on a pretty reasonable deal ($600k to 2022), but they need to figure out how they want to play him. He's a weapon in attack on an edge, but his defence is suspect out there. I think he should be in the middle, but we have a lot congestion in there at the moment with Haas, Lodge and Carrigan, and also Flegler and Bullemor

Flegler - Set to come off contract next year, but how much do they look to invest in him moving forward and what's his role moving forward? I'd have him over Offa, but we may be under pressure keeping him. Also seems a guy that may need to change style of play for the new rules, but in saying that I would like to see how he goes off the bench for a few weeks. Resumption of the competition had him starting, because Offa wasn't competent and Lodge was coming back from a serious injury and underdone. Coming off the bench might suit him as he has some footwork, just needs to improve the motor and he should be sweet

Speaking of Su'A, I thought he was Souths best player on Thursday night. He looks to have taken the leap to the next level. He was one player I really wish we did keep, prior to that ankle injury he was looking so good. We just had to be patient with him in his rehabilitation, unfortunately, Souths are now reaping those rewards.

According to Paul Kent on the Matty Johns podcast and reported on news.com.au a few days ago, in the broncos dressing room "Seibold said to them the other night after the Manly game 'If I'm not the right bloke for the job then tell me'... two (players stood up). Two said "nah mate you're OK", and the rest of them sat looking at their shoes.

You believe that? Whatever you think of Seibold he’s not dumb enough to do that.

Exactly.

Us fans are all going to be portrayed as sore losers by media and opposition fans and that we can’t handle adversity because we’ve had it good for so long and they would all be revelling in our current state.

But it’s complete bullshit. I can handle losing. I can handle a 5 game losing streak. I can handle us being outplayed on the day by a better team.

What I can’t handle is being outcompeted from Minute 1 to Minute 80 every week with absolutely no improvement week to week, playing like headless chooks with no plan or effort and just repeating the same schoolboy mistakes.

I also can’t handle the lack of accountability for certain players performances and then having the club hiding behind the there is no one else to replace them with excuse when they keep contradicting themselves.
Fans of other teams prefer to see us losing over their own teams winning

Unread

Active Now

• Morkel
  • Hurrijo
  • Broncosgirl
  • Organix
  • ThomasovPreaf
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.