NEWS Brisbane chairman Karl Morris: Shitbold survives

Nothing article containing no new information other than Wayne’s opinion.
Really?? Isn't that the exact reason what it's not nothing. Bennett is a piling on the pressure calling BS to some of the excuses coming from the Board.
These guys are trying to create some wiggle room but keep getting shut down and buried by the media.
This is relentless. Badel has just posted another article on Moose leaving.

Nothing article containing no new information other than Wayne’s opinion.
Maybe, it is in keeping with a number of other sources including player managers and Louise Lanagan, possibly White expanded on his role on an article before too. From the very specific statements Wayne made I wouldn't call it opinion, unless you'd call anything from Morris/White/Seibold an opinion too. These are all direct quotes so I think I'm allowed to use them here:
"There was four of us on the panel there on the salary cap committee," Bennett said.

"It was Paul White (chief executive), Darren Lockyer (board member), Peter Nolan (recruitment manager) and myself. Every player that went or left there, we all agreed or had discussions about it. I never did one deal with one player. Peter Nolan handled that with Paul White. In Darius Boyd's case, Paul White did all that. But we all agreed Darius should stay and we all agreed on that.

"Most times I didn't know what the players were getting. I had a round figure because you knew what the managers were asking for, but I never followed up what we ended up paying for them because we all wanted them at the club. They did the deals. That's how it worked. I won't take the criticism because I wasn't working as a sole agent. I was working as part of a team of four blokes."

Has Morris blamed everything on Bennett? If so I retract.

All I took from it was Wayne thinks we were a top 4 side.
What I took from it was Bennett is correcting the record that he was solely responsible for leaving the club with salary cap issues and that 3 of the 4 are still in charge of our recruiting.
WB further distanced himself by saying we were a top 4 side so basically saying what AS and the current members of the recruitment committee did with this squad is on them.

Does anyone really think it was a majority vote though? Read between the lines. If Bennett didn’t want someone, but the board outvoted him do we really think that would have happened. Or if Bennett said he wanted someone, but the other three didn’t, so we really think that player wouldn’t be at the club?

It is just semantics. Wayne would have had the power to recruit the side he wanted. While he may not have sat in on contract signings or exact figures he would have had a very large say in what happened.

There should be a science to cap management and recruitment and retention in a salary cap system, it's critical. Think MoneyBall and Billy Beane as that's actually how the world really works, buy $1 of talent for 90 cents and you are on a promising track. Buy $1 of talent for $1.10 and you are going to have poor results (unless there is no cap and you have more money than other clubs)

I would like to know more about this space and the decision making going on as it seems like the decision making going on is terrible and it's so hard to understand why it is done this way. Take Milford, Bird, Boyd (saved by retirement.. but still) and the others on options. Milford for example is on say 1M and playing like a 500k player perhaps, that's 500k of salary cap space you have squandered and can't use on other players, if he was playing like a 1.5M player you can be certain the contract would be upgraded or you would lose that player in any event as the option is in the players (not the clubs!) favour.

Surely there has to be some logic to this randomness because from the outside looking in it appears as if someone has deliberately salted the earth over the previous few years.

Outside of Haas and the base wagers, I’d dare say not one player is playing even at or above their wage. What does that say about the coach?

Last edited:
Outside of Haas and the base wagers, I’d dare say not one player is playing even at or above their wage. What does that say about the coach?
Staggs, Fifita and Turpin are (or were) all comfortably playing at or above their salaries. Coincidentally, all three have been unavailable for large parts of this season though.

Staggs, Fifita and Turpin are (or were) all comfortably playing at or above their salaries. Coincidentally, all three have been unavailable for large parts of this season though.

The fitness or the side is another issue but you can’t be playing at or above your wage if you are out injured, which in Bird’s case is always.

Basically everyone is playing at or above their pay grade except Boyd, Milford, Oates, Offa and Lodge (I'll excuse Lodge as I think his issues are fitness related)... and Bird and Kahu if you want to add value for money despite being injured.

If guys like Herbie, Carrigan, Flegler, Issac, Teo, etc. were also underperforming we would be in an even worse position than we are now.

You reckon Karl Morris would be dumb enough to recruit Raelene Castle as CEO?

With Annual Million dollar bonus + chauffeur + manager option to stay another year after contract expires.

Badel's latest rumour. Off contract this year, apparently:

Greg Swann CEO of Brisbane Lions AFL club

Last edited by a moderator:
Badel's latest rumour. Off contract this year, apparently:

View attachment 8466

I don’t know this guy but I would pass on him because I think at this point we need a rugby league man.
The stand out candidate for me is Shane Richardson.
He has extensive successful experience with multiple clubs over a long period and really is a no brainer choice.
But given recent history of the club I doubt they would be smart enough to employ him.

I don’t know this guy but I would pass on him because I think at this point we need a rugby league man.
The stand out candidate for me is Shane Richardson.
He has extensive successful experience with multiple clubs over a long period and really is a no brainer choice.
But given recent history of the club I doubt they would be smart enough to employ him.

Richardson is well liked and respected at the NRL which would be good for us. I think I’d prefer Dave Donaghy if we can get him though.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • winslow_wong
  • Old Mate
  • Organix
  • Justwin
  • FACTHUNT
  • Big Del
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • eggstar10
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncsgoat
  • Xzei
  • Strop
  • Wolfie
  • Jazza
  • Battler
  • Harry Sack
  • ezpz
  • davidp
  • BroncosAlways
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.