OPINION Broncos ‘Set to’ Win Cobbo's Signature. Badel warning.

they just say it is a 5 year $4.5 million offer. they say Cobbo is prepared to sacrifice $2 million to stay loyal tor us as we gave himn his big break.

Sacrifice for now. But if he stays on his current trajectory, and the team stays on theirs, he's going to pick that up in future contracts and sponsorships and endorsements down the road anyway.

Bit of a short-term risk, of course, but he does seem to be very happy where he is, and it looks like loyalty matters to the kid. Absolutely love him, really hope he stays.

I know that it probably has been talked about with others alot as well but are Wingers massively undervalued in the game?

Like when you think about what they do, if they are a strong runner of the ball that can be used to get meters to give the forwards a rest on sets(in reality I would say they are almost used as much as forwards in this regard these days), they are essentially a forward that has less defensive work but much more attacking work since they are expected to be the ones scoring tries and breaking lines.

Take for instance who is our biggest meter gainer in our team Corey Oates, not only has he got everyone in the team beat in that metric he also has the most tries, then we are told his position is essentially the most worthless from a value perspective?

I feel like this makes no sense at all, like even when you use the excuse of he has no value unless someone gives him good ball, he still is heavily involved in getting meters from our sets and given most tries are scored from an edge their ability to defend their edge is crucial to a teams result, there is quite a bit of responsibility there.

I know that it probably has been talked about with others alot as well but are Wingers massively undervalued in the game?

Like when you think about what they do, if they are a strong runner of the ball that can be used to get meters to give the forwards a rest on sets(in reality I would say they are almost used as much as forwards in this regard these days), they are essentially a forward that has less defensive work but much more attacking work since they are expected to be the ones scoring tries and breaking lines.

Take for instance who is our biggest meter gainer in our team Corey Oates, not only has he got everyone in the team beat in that metric he also has the most tries, then we are told his position is essentially the most worthless from a value perspective?

I feel like this makes no sense at all, like even when you use the excuse of he has no value unless someone gives him good ball, he still is heavily involved in getting meters from our sets and given most tries are scored from an edge their ability to defend their edge is crucial to a teams result, there is quite a bit of responsibility there.
It's because they're unco, and can't be trusted to play anywhere else.

I think it's maybe a supply and demand sort of thing.

Wingers have to have a lot of capabilities:
- diffuse kicks (torps, grubbers, cross field kicks, etc.)
- defend sweeping plays
- score tries, break tackles, etc.
- make meters and do the grunt work and hard runs no one wants to do

But in general a lot of young outside backs are blooded into NRL teams via the wing so coaches must think the above items can be taught OR can be mitigated if the player ***** up.

there's also likely to be a pretty healthy pipeline of young backs coming through the grades each year.... not all of them will be elite wingers or may quickly move to their preferred position... so if you lose a young guy that was playing wing last year there's every chance another bottom dollar one is coming through that can do a job for you.

I thought other clubs couldn't talk money with Cobbos management until November. Isn't he still under contract for next year?

you can talk as much as you want to players ... as long as it's only about uncontracted years.

you can officially sign a contract (or have it registered) until you enter the final year of the contract

I think it's maybe a supply and demand sort of thing.

Wingers have to have a lot of capabilities:
- diffuse kicks (torps, grubbers, cross field kicks, etc.)
- defend sweeping plays
- score tries, break tackles, etc.
- make meters and do the grunt work and hard runs no one wants to do

But in general a lot of young outside backs are blooded into NRL teams via the wing so coaches must think the above items can be taught OR can be mitigated if the player ***** up.

there's also likely to be a pretty healthy pipeline of young backs coming through the grades each year.... not all of them will be elite wingers or may quickly move to their preferred position... so if you lose a young guy that was playing wing last year there's every chance another bottom dollar one is coming through that can do a job for you.
I agree that the supply is high, similar to forwards actually, but the difference between the best and worst is still evident, the big meter gainer Wingers are actually more rare in the comp then you would expect yet it adds massive value from a team perspective that can't be overlooked.

I thought other clubs couldn't talk money with Cobbos management until November. Isn't he still under contract for next year?

you can talk as much as you want to players ... as long as it's only about uncontracted years.

you can officially sign a contract (or have it registered) until you enter the final year of the contract
This... but also journos can talk to whoever the hell they want in club land and simply ask them questions about what they think the value of the player is.

Whatever they say to them is not binding, but as members of their respective football department they know if they provide an over inflated price, that they would probably never officially offer, it can put pressure on the Broncos in trying to retain him.

"What do you think Cobbo is worth?"

"I reckon he could easily command $900k a year, IF he becomes an elite fullback... he's got all the attributes for it so there's probably a club out there willing to pay it to get him on the books"

This... but also journos can talk to whoever the hell they want in club land and simply ask them questions about what they think the value of the player is.

Whatever they say to them is not binding, but as members of their respective football department they know if they provide an over inflated price, that they would probably never officially offer, it can put pressure on the Broncos in trying to retain him.

"What do you think Cobbo is worth?"

"I reckon he could easily command $900k a year, IF he becomes an elite fullback... he's got all the attributes for it so there's probably a club out there willing to pay it to get him on the books"

This, but it doesn't even have to be tangential like that. Both clubs and managers use the media these days as it suits. Player wants more money? Manager can feed a 'discontent' story to the media which may get other clubs talking and offers flowing in. Club wants a soon-to-be-off-contract player who is looking to re-sign with their current club before they hit the market? Leak a story to a journo that a club will offer way over what the existing club will/can, putting pressure on the current club.

Active Now

• Thelmus
  • DrGee
  • broncs30
  • Fitzy
  • Broncosgirl
  • Battler
  • bert_lifts
  • kman
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.