Broncos 2013 Trials

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regardless of Parker capabilities as a goalkicker, quite frankly I don't know why you should be so concerned about "things to come", Wallace kicked a hell of a lot last season even when Parker was there and did a good job, Prince adds more goalkicking capabilities and of the two trials only one we had any of our recognised NRL grade goalkickers in it. If anything there should be more to look forward to from a goalkicking perspective then being concerned about it. Anyways thats enough from me on this subject.

I had a feeling that would make you happy to hear Mr Fourex ;)

Last edited:
Why are you still harping on about it?

GoTheBroncos is the man by the by.

Wallace still had 45 attempts. He also shades Prince in career accuracy too.

Lol ...yeah with Wallaces's 91 attempts vs Prince with 439 attempts.

I had a feeling that would make you happy to hear Mr Fourex ;)

:biggrin: .......the most promising thing is that it sounds like Prince is adding some much needed creativity to our attack.

:biggrin: .......the most promising thing is that it sounds like Prince is adding some much needed creativity to our attack.

We can only hope :D

And Big Pete dropping it right here and now allright?

BRISBANE'S backline curse just can't be broken after winger Dale Copley suffered a serious right knee injury in the Broncos' 16-14 NRL trial loss to the Gold Coast Titans last night at Dolphin Oval. In a recurring nightmare for luckless coach Anthony Griffin, Copley started his 2013 season the exact same way it ended last year by leaving the field on a stretcher.
It was a broken leg that ended the young winger's 2012 season in mid-July, but last night a suspected ruptured patella knee tendon injury has left his start of 2013 in tears.
Copley (right) will have scans this week and won't travel with the team to Queenstown today.
Broncos officials were not prepared to speculate on how long Copley would be ruled out, but it's devastating news for the young man.
"He has obviously copped what we think is a fairly significant injury. We won't know more until we get it scanned," assistant coach Kristian Woolf said.

"I have not really thought about it (the injury curse), we have had a few over the past few years. But there is always opportunity with injury."
With winger Jharal Yow Yeh yet to return from his badly broken ankle of last year and Gerard Beale joining the Dragons over the summer, Griffin suddenly has a hole to fill in his outside backs for round one against Manly in three weeks.
It was the third year in a row the Broncos have lost an outside back to a serious injury in the trials, with Jordan Kahu twice struck down with a torn ACL in 2011 and 2012.
Kahu at least survived last night's match at his bogey ground and with another solid game next week he could yet be a contender for a round one NRL debut.
Another option could be Denan Kemp, one of three returning sons for the Broncos this season and a flying winger who slotted into the backline with ease last night to score a late try.
"He has fit in really well, it's like he never left in terms of his relationship with the boys," Woolf said.
The injury to Copley was just a taste of the bad news for the Broncos last night as the Titans scored three first-half tries to lead 16-4 at half-time.
Fullback Josh Hoffman provided a bright spark in attack to score the Broncos' first-half try with a sublime 40m run, but defensively Brisbane lacked urgency in the first half before holding strong in the second 40 minutes.
Halves Peter Wallace, Corey Norman and Scott Prince were each given time in their preferred positions and in a variety of combinations, but none stood out over the other.
Halfback challenger Prince offered a different attacking style, but he also dropped the ball and allowed Dave Taylor to off-load late in the first half which helped set up a superb David Mead try.
It was Prince's grubber into the uprights in the 53rd minute that led to Corey Norman's second-half try and sparked some life back into a flat Broncos team.
The night began with a touch of nostalgia as former Broncos legend Petero Civoniceva pulled on a Redcliffe jumper for the first time in 19 years.
The 36-year-old veteran prop forward returned to his junior roots last night as he led the Dolphins out in an Intrust Super Cup trial match against Wynnum-Manly.
The last time Civoniceva wore the red jumper at Dolphin Oval was as a teenage centre in 1994 in a Colts match.
It was a typical Civoniceva performance. Straight up and down, error-free.

567018-dale-copley.jpg

Word is Copley has done his patella tendon. That's his season done if that is the case.

Terrible luck, I thought he was really going to have a break out year.

some of you act like no other kickers in the comp have a bad day.

i want to hear about how we performed. i dont give a flying **** about hte goal kicking tonight.

Mate I couldn't agree more. Kicking is not our main concern, currently our attacking and defensive structures etc are. At this point I couldn't care if Ronald McDonald was kicking our goals while getting a blowy from the hamburglar, how did they actually play???

Mate I couldn't agree more. Kicking is not our main concern, currently our attacking and defensive structures etc are. At this point I couldn't care if Ronald McDonald was kicking our goals while getting a blowy from the hamburglar, how did they actually play???

Once again someone misses the point. The fact that Parker or whoever took the shots at goal missed them in a trial doesn't matter. It is the fact that it often happens when it counts which ends up losing games.

:loool:

You'll do anything to knock Hoffman down a peg or two.

I'm sorry man, I just found this post hilarious.

It was funny when the criticism was warranted... When he has obviously been working hard and from all accounts was one of the best, if not the best on the team last night, it's not so funny

Once again someone misses the point. The fact that Parker or whoever took the shots at goal missed them in a trial doesn't matter. It is the fact that it often happens when it counts which ends up losing games.

Mate I haven't missed the point and I'm not a halfwit I know that goal kicking matters.

My point was I don't think it's that big a problem compared to the rest of the teams issues. We have three or four options at goal kickers this year so if someone is out of form someone else can kick. My main concern is that the end of last year we couldn't score a try except for if some flukey s*** came off and leaked points. IMO that's more of a concern and goal kicking is a bit redundant if you can't get the tries. I haven't missed that point at all

First post
i would not be too concerned about unforced errors last night. By the Broncs own admission their main focus this off season was defense so combine that with a wet night and you will have a problem. Of more concern is left centre, I was hoping Copley would step up and make that his own this year. We need speed or elusiveness there and I am not so sure Reed offers that.
team I would like to see for the last trial
1. Norman
2. Kemp
3. Hoffman
4. Hodges
5. Maranta
6. Wallace
7. Prince
8. Hannant/Maguire
9. McCullough
10. Dodds
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Maguire/Hannant
15. Hala
16. Gillet
17. Hunt

Dodds is a starting frontrower or not in the team. I would like to see him shorten up a couple of runners in the first 20 minutes

First post
i would not be too concerned about unforced errors last night. By the Broncs own admission their main focus this off season was defense so combine that with a wet night and you will have a problem. Of more concern is left centre, I was hoping Copley would step up and make that his own this year. We need speed or elusiveness there and I am not so sure Reed offers that.
team I would like to see for the last trial
1. Norman
2. Kemp
3. Hoffman
4. Hodges
5. Maranta
6. Wallace
7. Prince
8. Hannant/Maguire
9. McCullough
10. Dodds
11. Glenn
12. Thaiday
13. Parker

14. Maguire/Hannant
15. Hala
16. Gillet
17. Hunt

Dodds is a starting frontrower or not in the team. I would like to see him shorten up a couple of runners in the first 20 minutes

I kind of feel like Hoffman has to be a centre or nothing at this time, I wouldn't care if he and Norman swapped roles in defense though. Hopefully Bond or Kemp or someone out of the blue takes fb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • ozzball
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Dash
  • Mustafur
  • Harry Sack
  • pennywisealfie
  • kman
  • Broncorob
  • Bucking Beads
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Fitzy
  • Waynesaurus
  • Broncosarethebest
  • FACTHUNT
  • Mr Fourex
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.