Broncos - 2015 Discussion

MaroubraBroncos

MaroubraBroncos

QCup Player
Oct 15, 2013
He has been ordinary I won't argue with that but he has been playing overweight and has been shunted around the forward pack. If he gets completely in shape and plays pernamently in the second row I can see him having a big year.

Surely that is his own fault

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Surely that is his own fault

Disagree. A fit team and team of fit individuals is the responsibility of the coaching staff. Only an idiot would play an unfit
(= overweight) player at NRL level where the speed and physicality of the game has increased exponentially over the last few years.

While Thaiday's fitness/weight is his personal choice, his selection in the team isn't.

I totally agree with BMan as well. A fit and motivated Thaiday, running wide as Meninga uses him in SoO, ball playing close the other's line and defending strongly is his natural if not only place, and I hope Bennett recognizes that as Meninga does. For mine, Thaiday has the talent to be right up there, and I also feel his place in the team adds a certain "presence" which to me seems to make the team play better when he is on the field.

I am so hoping for a big year from Sammy and I somehow think Bennett will see to it.

Last edited:
Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Him playing wide certainly didn't seem to improve his game in the rep matches this year. He was mostly terrible for QLD and Australia as well.

The only thing that might "motivate" him is that he's off contract this year. I'm sure he's well past it now though.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Disagree. A fit team and team of fit individuals is the responsibility of the coaching staff. Only an idiot would play an unfit
(= overweight) player at NRL level where the speed and physicality of the game has increased exponentially over the last few years.

And? Griffin has shown himself to be a pretty dumbass coach, that's true. But Thaiday getting fat and complacent is his own fault, he's clearly one of the laziest players in the game.

Huge

Huge

International Rep
Contributor
Mar 7, 2008
To be honest, I would have dropped Thaiday at some stage during season 2014 and likely even earlier in season 2013. Not for one minute do I think Thaiday has lost his ability but his motivation seems to have declined over the last few years. I would not have left him without the possibility of a return, dangling that carrot in front of him. He appeared to become quite comfortable and complacent and some time out of the top grade would have done him some good. His attitude was on show when he was quizzed about the upcoming camp, whinging about how hard it may be. Poor love is on big money by Aussie standards and others would have moved mountains to have the chance presented him.

Broncoman

Broncoman

State of Origin Rep
Oct 9, 2011
Can someone please post Thiaday's stats from the 2010 season? Pretty please

Before Hook's tenure Thiaday was regarded as one of the most feared and damaging fringe runners in the game.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Can someone please post Thiaday's stats from the 2010 season? Pretty please

Before Hook's tenure Thiaday was regarded as one of the most feared and damaging fringe runners in the game.

Games: 22
Tries: 2
Try Assists: 7
Offloads: 16
Line Breaks: 4
Errors: 21
Tackle Breaks: 67
Total Run Metres: 320 runs for 2539 metres.
Total Hit Up Metres: 197 hit ups for 1523 metres.
Tackles: 663
Missed Tackles: 66

Statistically, he wasn't much different then when he was playing under Hook. However, he had a bigger impact under Bennett and Henjak than what he did under Hook.

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Which was around the time he was diagnosed with osteitis pubis.

Such a nothing article by the by. We all like to make fun of the 'fitter than ever' articles but these 'I put on weight' articles are about as common.

They may as well wrote 'Man enjoys well earned break'.

If this was February, it'd be worth discussing but folks, this is December and the man deserves some time to get into some playing shape. No doubt he has to improve on what he's dished up but he's far from alone in that department either and I believe Bennett's plan to move him on the edge will help him and the team in general.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Even if it relates to his osteitis pubis that only raises concerns about his ability to perform at the high standard the NRL demands on a consistent basis something I don't even think was one of his strong points in the first place, look at Gordy he was never the same after his neck injury and a lot on people on the forum felt he played on for too long. It's probably a given he will put on some weight in the offseason early on, but I'd be very concerned if his that heavy come round 1 and it's a season I don't think he can just afford to cruise along either.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
If only teams had the balls to drop him. Right now he has no reason to try to improve or stop being lazy, everything gets handed to him on a platter anyway.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Yes Macca needs to kick on but replacing with Waddell makes zero sense, zero.

It would be like going "Man I wish my dick was an inch longer, but it's not so I'll cut it off"

Agreed. Don't get me wrong, I'm well aware that McCullough will be our dummy half in 2015. It just irks me because it's not so much he's our best option - it's because he is our least worst option. There's a difference I think. The fact that Broncos management were willing to make a play for Cam Smith at the back end of his career kinda speaks volumes. He went up a gear when rumors of Smith signing gathered steam and when he had Granville in his shadow. When Granville signed with the Cowboys he went down a gear and it was business as usual.

The other reason I'm trumpeting Waddell (or anyone else - I don't really care who) is because we were discussing last off-season that McCullough needs to improve. I've only been on these boards a year and a half but I daresay a similar conversation happened the year before last and so on...

It irks me because I read comments that dismiss guys like Maranta, Kahu, Waddell etc out of hand. McCullough, who has played more games than these guys combined, gets the benefit of the doubt because apparently he can still improve.

Name two teams that do not have an established hooker. Two such teams are Canberra and Knights.

What else do they have in common? They both released Waddell.

I am all for upgrading our hooker. But Waddell isn't an upgrade.

That's a fair point. Ironically, I think they're the two teams where MCullough would possibly get a start.

Plus, Waddell has had the exact same opportunities to impress in first grade and hasn't kicked on.

Macca does need to improve but giving his position to somebody like Waddell isn't going to make the situation any better.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that first point, Pete. McCullough has had the sort of opportunities up and coming players could only dream about. Whether he was a coach's favourite, earmarked for greater honours by Broncos management or just because there was no one in the lower grades nipping at his heels it was pretty obvious he was not going to be dropped regardless of how he played. That's a world apart from Waddell.

Come on fellas are you trying to say McCullough didn't deserve at least one spell in ISC since he became our starting hooker? Even if it was just a week to 'keep him honest.'

fwiw, I hope you guys are right and I'm wrong. Time will tell. On his day, McCullough is one of the best players on the field. He's proven he can be rapid fire out of dummy half on occasion. If he fires, I'm prepared to say we're a top 4 team automatically. I hope WB can make him a consistent performer.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
The fact I favour McCullough over Waddell is pretty much me saying I favour carrots over steamed cabbage. They're both fucking horrible but one I can at least stomach, whereas the other already has me throwing up in my mouth. And both are light years away from being KFC.

CaptainHook

CaptainHook

NRL Player
Jun 17, 2013
Yes Macca needs to kick on but replacing with Waddell makes zero sense, zero.

It would be like going "Man I wish my dick was an inch longer, but it's not so I'll cut it off"

The fact I favour McCullough over Waddell is pretty much me saying I favour carrots over steamed cabbage. They're both ****ing horrible but one I can at least stomach, whereas the other already has me throwing up in my mouth. And both are light years away from being KFC.

:laugh: The analogies comparing these two players get better and better.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I'm not sure I'd agree with that first point, Pete. McCullough has had the sort of opportunities up and coming players could only dream about. Whether he was a coach's favourite, earmarked for greater honours by Broncos management or just because there was no one in the lower grades nipping at his heels it was pretty obvious he was not going to be dropped regardless of how he played. That's a world apart from Waddell.

They both came into a roster that needed somebody to step up and take over the dummy half role. Andrew McCullough made the most of his opportunities and ended up pushing Gorrell/Marsh out quicker than most expected where as Waddell never developed beyond his days in the NYC line up.

Andrew McCullough has never played as poorly as Travis Waddell, hence, he's never deserved to be treated like Travis Waddell.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
They both came into a roster that needed somebody to step up and take over the dummy half role. Andrew McCullough made the most of his opportunities and ended up pushing Gorrell/Marsh out quicker than most expected where as Waddell never developed beyond his days in the NYC line up.

Andrew McCullough has never played as poorly as Travis Waddell, hence, he's never deserved to be treated like Travis Waddell.
Perfect summation!

Mr Fourex

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Apr 9, 2012

I suspect McC's defence is his only saving grace.

It's not an ideal outcome when your dummy half is being selected purely on his ability to make tackles.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Justwin
  • TimWhatley
  • Broncorob
  • Kev_Guz
  • MrMoore
  • sooticus
  • BruiserMk1
  • broncos4life
  • Broncosarethebest
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.