Broncos - 2015 Discussion

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
He isn't a centre.

They played him out there to fit Gagai in the side but have since pushed him to five eighth.

He handled the centres quite well but it's difficult to know how he'd go against bigger players on a weekly basis.

He did handle Olive pretty easily, and he's one of the big up and coming centres in the game.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
I'll admit I still don't know what Jayden's best position is. That said, I kind of don't feel it's been invented yet.

When the new interchange rules come in, I think a player like Jayden will benefit more than anyone. He's got the skillset to cause a lot of problems out of dummy half and some of the kicks that Pete referred to were a result of him working out of dummy half. I think he can be enormously valuable simply by being an interchange player who comes on after 30mins or so and has a bit of roving commission in a hooker like capacity.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
I'm a big believer in giving credit where it is due, so:

Wayne has done a decent job so far this year, especially in fixing our defence, for the most part is seems like this shirt grabbing shit is over, and we are hitting with the shoulder (**** yeah). he has also got the boys believing in themselves and not dropping their heads when things go against them (always been a strong suit of Bennetts).

We are still having trouble with our second halves, but last year we would have lost at least 3 games more than this year because of our second half lapses.

I think he needs to get our speed off the line to similar levels that we showed in the Roosters game, consistently.

And i still certainly disagree with Milford at 6

it will probably take him a bit longer to get rid of the rest of Griffins influence. but doing a decent job so far

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I can sense a Darius not far on the horizon. I can't wait to see what he brings to this team.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I'm a big believer in giving credit where it is due, so:

Wayne has done a decent job so far this year, especially in fixing our defence, for the most part is seems like this shirt grabbing shit is over, and we are hitting with the shoulder (**** yeah). he has also got the boys believing in themselves and not dropping their heads when things go against them (always been a strong suit of Bennetts).

We are still having trouble with our second halves, but last year we would have lost at least 3 games more than this year because of our second half lapses.

I think he needs to get our speed off the line to similar levels that we showed in the Roosters game, consistently.

And i still certainly disagree with Milford at 6

it will probably take him a bit longer to get rid of the rest of Griffins influence. but doing a decent job so far

A fair assessment Foordy and that IMO is all you have to ask from both sides, despite our differences all I ask is for people to be honest and balanced, nothing really annoys me more then someone who blindly claims something and won't even admit they have have been wrong in things they predicted or say.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I can sense a Darius not far on the horizon. I can't wait to see what he brings to this team.
Certainly going to make things interesting really, on the brightside when he and Kahu back we will have a headache on our hands for selection of the backline which is a good thing.

B

bazza

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2013
I think the next step for us is not drifting in and out of games, more specifically during the second half, and to be able to apply the same amount of pressure throughout the whole 80 mins. At least the promising thing is we're not slow starters and we've been reasonably good during the opening exchanges. We've been able to score a fair few tries early on, which gives us enough to hold on in the end, rather than being forced to chase a lead and having to play catch up footy due to starting slowly. I think I read a stat somewhere along the lines of our first 20 mins being our best in terms of tries, with our last twenty the worst.

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013
I think the next step for us is not drifting in and out of games, more specifically during the second half, and to be able to apply the same amount of pressure throughout the whole 80 mins. At least the promising thing is we're not slow starters and we've been reasonably good during the opening exchanges. We've been able to score a fair few tries early on, which gives us enough to hold on in the end, rather than being forced to chase a lead and having to play catch up footy due to starting slowly. I think I read a stat somewhere along the lines of our first 20 mins being our best in terms of tries, with our last twenty the worst.
It was also mentioned that we have only conceded 14 points in total during the first twenty minutes of matches. Haven't checked that out for myself though

ethos

ethos

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Quite keen to see what Boyd will bring to the team.

Reckon his presence will help out the halves (in particular Milford) a lot. He knows how to run a well-timed movement, which should get the backline going more smoothly.

Wait and see though and obviously not until he's right to go. Although, from his perspective, Origin is looming.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
I'm also enjoying being top of the ladder yet under the radar. Completely different story had we beaten the Dragons, which is again why I think it's the loss we were supposed to have.

It is kind of surprising why we're not media darlings yet. Maybe journos don't want to look stupid(er). They're probably pretending they're not surprised, "yeah yeah Bennett, Milford, we knew they'd go well" but I don't think anyone would have confidently predicted a 6-2 start.

austin71

austin71

NRL Player
Apr 21, 2013
Keep an eye on Luke Page in the PNG game. He's frustrated he's not getting an NRL start. Wouldn't be the worst signing IMO.

Allo

Allo

International Rep
Forum Staff
Sep 28, 2012
I'm also enjoying being top of the ladder yet under the radar. Completely different story had we beaten the Dragons, which is again why I think it's the loss we were supposed to have.

It is kind of surprising why we're not media darlings yet. Maybe journos don't want to look stupid(er). They're probably pretending they're not surprised, "yeah yeah Bennett, Milford, we knew they'd go well" but I don't think anyone would have confidently predicted a 6-2 start.

Probably because we're hated by everyone that's not a Broncos fan. especially the Sydney-centric media. Could you imagine if we had the same team playing in Souths or Roosters jumpers? They'd be jizzing themselves non-stop

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
If we could pick up 4 wins over the next 3 months it would be a good result.

The next 8 games:

Panthers (H)
Cowboys (A)
Knights (A) (minus Origin contingent)
State of Origin 1
Raiders (A) (Saturday)
Manly (H)
Bye
State of Origin 2
Storm (A) (Sunday)
Knights (H) (Friday)
Bye
State of Origin 3
Bulldogs (Saturday)

-------------------

Panthers at home, Manly at home, Knights at home are all full strength roster games. There's 3 (no easy games there though).

Storm away, Raiders away (both post Origin) and Cowboys away are all write-offs for mine.

So that leaves Knights away (minus Origin stars) and Bulldogs away (post origin) as 50/50s.

-------------------

Then in the back end we have an OK run (Tigers, Titans, Manly, Bulldogs, Dragons).

Our last 3 games are Rabbitohs (A), Roosters (A), Storm (H). There'll be no greater test of our credentials come finals time then that run!!

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
Who are our Origin hopefuls this year?

Certainties:

13. Parker
12. Thaiday
4. Hodges

Probables:

15. Gillett
16. McGuire
5. Boyd (if fit)

Possibles
18. Hunt/Milford
2. Copley/Maranta

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008
I don't think McGuire is probable. I wouldn't give any of your possibles a chance either.

Either way we won't have Boyd. If he's not fit for QLD it just means he's not fit.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Boyd said in an interview last week that he doubts he'll be ready for Origin 1, but he's hopeful of playing in Origin 2 & 3, after he's had a few weeks of first grade under his belt (Assuming he performs decent for us)

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I don't think McGuire is probable. I wouldn't give any of your possibles a chance either.

Either way we won't have Boyd. If he's not fit for QLD it just means he's not fit.

If we're to take Meninga at his word, it is very likely that McG will debut.

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • pennywisealfie
  • bb_gun
  • Pablo
  • Broncorob
  • The Don
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.