Broncos - 2015 Discussion

I don't believe the media would have reduced his contract value by so much ... especially when it comes to a Broncos signing.

I was always a little bit sceptical that he left $500k+ a season on the table by leaving Canberra, I wouldn't be surprised if the real figure is around that $900k mark.

I can definitely see him signing here for 450k considering his reasons for wanting to return to Brisbane.

he would be on more than 450k if you include the TPA that he would receive that don't have to be counted under the cap

Be serious now.

Firstly that 900k is from RLW... RLW. Rugby League Week.

Secondly, the only time that 900k figure came from anywhere was from Ricky's whinging and assertion that he has to be on that amount because that is what they offered him so that's his market value. Unfortunately no one in the media explained to him that that isn't how market value works

I thought Barba and Kennedy are the reasons we can't really afford to sign anyone else? Another thing is why would we want to sign anyone else?

Because we are playing Blair at starting prop and Hodges and Parker will be retired within the next two years in all likelyhood...

I don't believe we have the dominant starting prop in our club we need right now, to be a true premiership contender. That is the position we should be looking to buy, plus perhaps a star outside back and 'blockbuster' back rower.

Yeah basically what Jason said, I think for us to have a genuine chance at winning a title after Parker, Hodgo & Thaiday all retire we'll need a rep level prop and an elite centre/winger, preferably who can goal kick at 80%+

Sign Martin Tapau when Parker retires and shift McGuire to lock. Would love to sign Radradra but I can't see the Eels letting him go, he isn't off contract until 2018. Mansour is off-contract next season or I wouldn't mind trying to have a shot at Hurrell.

I think as the aura comes back and we do well in the finals that brings us right back to the table with any player - even those under under contract.

Getting Milford was an aggressive move even under the old regime and I think we can pull something like that off again under Bennett.

Brisbane have never been that big on recruiting players, especially under Bennett.

Usually the club relied on it's own junior development and the odd signing that was usually brought about players wanting to return home or being squeezed out of their clubs.

The only time Bennett went away from that formula was in 2008 when we moved on a bunch of veterans (Civoniceiva, Tate, Berrigan, Thorn, Carlaw etc.) and brought in Clinton, Wallace & the Sims brothers.

Results were very mixed.

496632-petero-civoniceva.jpg

Very mixed...

Brisbane have never been that big on recruiting players, especially under Bennett.

Usually the club relied on it's own junior development and the odd signing that was usually brought about players wanting to return home or being squeezed out of their clubs.

The only time Bennett went away from that formula was in 2008 when we moved on a bunch of veterans (Civoniceiva, Tate, Berrigan, Thorn, Carlaw etc.) and brought in Clinton, Wallace & the Sims brothers.

Results were very mixed.

496632-petero-civoniceva.jpg

Very mixed...

I agree but was that Bennett's fault? He announced early in the year he was leaving the Broncos in 2008. So far as I know, all those players' comings and goings happened after that announcement. Maybe it was Bruno more than Bennett.

Those signings occurred in 2007, CH.

No worries. Wasn't sure - Wow - what was Bennett thinking?

Ps sorry [MENTION=1899]Big Pete[/MENTION] - I'm a moron - got my years mixed up lol.

Last edited:
No worries.

It must have been a reaction to some of the slower periods the Broncos were experiencing at the time. The end was nigh and instead of letting it happen, Bennett decided to shake things up and went too far with it.

In theory, Clinton was 5 years younger, comparatively cheaper and showed flashes of potential. On paper, he had all the right tools, maybe under a good coach he could find his potential and help develop the next breed of talent like Taylor, Hannant & Eastwood. Throw in the story that he was apart of a package deal with Wallace, who was necessary for our 2008 season and the signing didn't sound so bad.

Then you skip forward to the semi against Melbourne, witness Clinton getting hooked because he played so poorly and you just wonder how the game would have gone if the club could have reached an agreement with Bulla.

Active Now

• eggstar10
  • john1420
  • Jazza
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosgirl
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Battler
  • Swordfish
  • NSW stables
  • Fatboy
  • Santa
  • Culhwch
  • levikaden
  • FACTHUNT
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Harry Sack
  • Justwin
  • johnyE
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.