Broncos 2016 Squad

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
Re: Broncos - 2016 Speculation/Discussion

Cmon mate, going by the courier mail ratings? **** talk about straw grasping.

my next door neighbour has more credibility than travis meyn and he reckons copley is shit.

Then your next door neighbour is an idiot

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

The most stupid rankings were on the Fox Sports site.

In a team where defense is so important, Gillett and Kahu's work to make our right side so impregnable, is very underrated.
If Bennett can get that right side working in attack as well as the left, we will become a deadly force. But for that we probably need to wait until next season, with a new right centre and hopefully a better understanding between Hunt and Gillett.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013

Sadly it seems that some only see the flashy attack and discount the importance of the less visible defence.

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008

Excuse me? I think you'll find he's in my starting line-up, with the option of him rotating with Thaiday.

Sorry, I see red, I mean, maroon, when I see Gillett - for mine under Bennett, the key to locking down our right edge, super strong runner AND a dead set key starting player, considered as a bench player.

He is now 80 mins of high energy defence, as as [MENTION=2221]Porthoz[/MENTION] says, next year, when we get the right centre nailed down and Hunt's combinations on the right working as they don't yet, that right side will be a "deadly force".

As for Thaiday, he is not an 80 minute player and needs to be rested - agree with you on that.

As for agendas, I'll throw mine out there for next year: Oates for right centre

Last edited:
I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

Would we really **** with the backline that much? Leave Copley and Reed to fight over one centre spot, give the other to Kahu then put Oates/Maranta and Anderson on the wings. Done.

Last edited:
Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013

Who are we going to bench / relegate to ISC next year?.. I'm having a difficult time trying to figure it out.

1. Boyd
2. Oates (Maranta)
3. Copley (Reed)
4. Kahu
5. Anderson (Maranta)
6. Milford
7. Hunt (c)
8. McGuire
9. McCullough
10. Blair (Thaiday)
11. Glenn
12. Gillett (Thaiday)
13. Parker

14. Nikorima
15. Wallace
16. Thaiday
17. Gavet (Ofahengaue)

Bold = Players who I believe are certainties for their respective position
Italic = Players who I believe are possibilities for their respective position
( ) = Players who I believe are depth for their respective position

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

I'm surprised you had Reed as only a depth player.

Also Thaiday is a certainty IMO

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012

Who do people have higher in the depth chart, molo or offa? At the moment I have offa higher but would have him in qcup next year as he would benefit from it more than molo. Will struggle to fit them all in next year.

We need a backup half. Would people prefer relying on a rookie eg Templeman or purchase a journeyman for a year or two?

mitch222

mitch222

State of Origin Captain
Apr 4, 2014

Your kidding yourselves if you think Reed will be our backup centre. He is firmly entrenched in our side.

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

Who do people have higher in the depth chart, molo or offa? At the moment I have offa higher but would have him in qcup next year as he would benefit from it more than molo. Will struggle to fit them all in next year.

We need a backup half. Would people prefer relying on a rookie eg Templeman or purchase a journeyman for a year or two?

Backup half? Kodi Nikorima.

Joe O is about to play a GF coming off the bench. He has hardly shamed himself over the past few rounds, he runs with a lot of aggression and bends the line easily. Molo has a mountain in front of him to get into Bennett's radar I think

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013

Has Maranta fallen out of favour?

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

THE Broncos want to host the Cowboys in a grand final rematch in Round 2 next season.

The NRL will soon start work on next year’s draw, which is expected to have about five Thursday night matches, including one in the first round again.

“We are as good a custodian of a big event as there is in the competition,” Broncos CEO Paul White said.

“It has worked better in the past if we play our first home game in Round 2, and our best opponents have always been North Queensland.’’

White said the appeal of Broncos-Cowboys derbys had been enhanced by last week’s extra-time grand final thriller.

“The two clubs have a rich derby history now and that’s exactly what the game wants, those real rivalries,” he said.

“Three of the four games between the two clubs were among the best of the year.

“It’s a marquee event because people come to it from all over Queensland.”

The two Broncos-Cowboys matches at Suncorp Stadium this year drew a total of 90,535 spectators.

White said the two biggest off-season issues for NRL clubs were the completion of a new pay TV broadcast deal, and answers from the league over the amount of the increased annual grants, currently $7 million per year.

The game’s competitions structures, to be recommended by NRL head of strategy Shane Richardson later this year, will also show some guidance on the expansion issue.

NRL chief executive David Smith said last week he foresaw an additional team in Queensland but only after some existing clubs were stabilised financially.

“Pay television is yet to be done and there’s a priority around that,” White said.

“Equally important is having all the clubs on board. No one can operate a business and make investment decisions based on a 12-month horizon. Clubs need funding certainty over the medium term.”

The ARL Commission is expected to scrap the national under-20 competition from 2017 with those players placed in state-based competitions.

“If we’re making changes, let’s make changes that are going to improve the assets we have,” White said.

Brisbane pushing for early rematch

I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013

Watch us destroy them.

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014

JUSTIN Hodges has a final word for his Broncos as he walks into the sunset at Red Hill.

“They will be back in the grand final (next year) ... I have so much confidence in these boys though that I know we will be back.”

Hodges (above) said the Broncos would return to the decider on the back of Ben Hunt and Anthony Milford, who he labelled special players and leaders who would steer the club to an era of success.

Hodges, set for a well-*deserved holiday, warns Brisbane will have to work even harder to get there though.

The retired captain has faith in Hunt, who will have to live with his grand final shocker just as Hodges did with his horror State of Origin debut in 2002.

Hodges won a premiership with the Sydney Roosters just three months after an Origin nightmare where he twice passed in his own in-goal to NSW players who scored.

“Without him and Hunty we would not (have) been here,” he said. “Those two little guys carried us on their backs all year. If you have those two leading the way next year then we will be back.

“He (Hunt) is young and will learn. He has to learn from it but he has a huge future ahead of him.”

Hodges said he was still content with how his career ended, even though the Broncos lost to the Cowboys in heartbreaking fashion.

His desire to return to the grand final stage was sparked in the dressing rooms of the 2014 NRL decider, where he celebrated with best mate turned Rabbitoh, Greg Inglis.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl...ng-justin-hodges/story-e6frf3pc-1227564680769

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
To save from merging two big threads together, I've decided to distinguish them.

The other 2016 thread is for naming your best 17s.

This thread is all about the squad and depth in each position.

Cool? Cool.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Yep, that was confirmed by Smokin' Joe in the Broncos Player Movements thread. 21 year old Prop, went to Wavell. Just depth.

Danoz Direct

Danoz Direct

NRL Captain
Oct 12, 2013
Yep, that was confirmed by Smokin' Joe in the Broncos Player Movements thread. 21 year old Prop, went to Wavell. Just depth.

Ok sorry missed that. I heard that he is a great up and coming player, rated even more highly than Ofahengaue.

Unread

Active Now

• Mustafur
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.